Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Keyfob Battery Change done during a Service ?

152bobby

Do Toyota still do this ?

I had both my Aygo X and my daughters Aygo serviced at Toyota last month and I've just looked at the invoices and no mention of the Battery in the key fob change on any the cars !

Can I assume they didn't do it then ?

Did they say they would?

Did you ask them to?

My garage used to do it free with the service.  It was a service item and not itemised.   Now I think it is chargeable with them.   It may vary.

• Like 3

Unless you ask them to its not an automatic that they do. Also if it's not on the invoice then it hasn't been done.👍

• Like 1

You get nothing for nothing nowadays !!

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Not changed on an intermediate service, but is on a full service 👍

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

Not changed on an intermediate service, but is on a full service 👍

That would explain it then.  My first service on the Aygo X was Intermediate and just checked my daughter's invoice and that also was intermediate service.

• Like 3

Well for the price of a fob Battery you would think they would change it for free they spend enough money on advertising on the TV? 

As we pay enough for the service as it is I suppose toyota is like every other company loyalty doesn't count anymore 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Dave the aygo said:

Well for the price of a fob battery you would think they would change it for free they spend enough money on advertising on the TV? 

As we pay enough for the service as it is I suppose toyota is like every other company loyalty doesn't count anymore 

Possibly more down to the dealerships? must admit if it wasn't for the relaxed 10 year warranty when serviced at a Toyota dealership then i would have taken mine to an independent, they either push for extra jobs that don't need doing or don't do little but cheap jobs like replacing the key fob Battery.

• Like 2

Toyota dealer don't normally do this. If you want that level of service, you need to get a Lexus. Then they keep track of when the Battery was last replaced and replace it for you as needed. 

• Like 1

When I had my first Aygo mk1, I asked them to check the key fob Battery as I had a problem with the key not locking the car first time I pressed the button. But its not something they do automatically.

• Like 1

Change the Battery yourself.

You will be free to buy better quality Battery and replace it when it's really necessary. 

It's not a difficult job to do.

• Like 2

I've  done that on both her remotes.  Not done mine (yet) on the Aygo X because they should be fine and one has not been used yet, but I'll do them also.

• Like 1

With toyota you can switch off the keyfob (as good as) that you don't use so the Battery doesn't run out.

Press "button to close" on the key and keep pressed while you press "button to open" two times. The led on the keyfob will flash 4 times.

The keyfob will go into energy saving mode.

This works for the aygo with smart entry system, worked on Auris before.

• Like 1

Good tip, I'll try that.

• Like 1

You'd have to check the service schedule but with most Toyotas the remote Battery is changed on the full service.

Whether the dealers do it or not is a different matter; Mine have never changed it despite listing it on the docket every full service. I usually add a note asking them to leave the Battery with the service agent and that i'll change it myself, although on my Mk4's first full service they gave the wrong Battery :laugh: 

Changing every 2 years is probably a bit excessive for mine, esp. given the size of the coin cells (I've never even heard of a CR2450 until now - They're huge!). Both of my fobs are still on the original battery with no loss of performance, but I keep a spare in the car just in case.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

You'd have to check the service schedule but with most Toyotas the remote battery is changed on the full service.

Whether the dealers do it or not is a different matter; Mine have never changed it despite listing it on the docket every full service. I usually add a note asking them to leave the battery with the service agent and that i'll change it myself, although on my Mk4's first full service they gave the wrong battery :laugh: 

Changing every 2 years is probably a bit excessive for mine, esp. given the size of the coin cells (I've never even heard of a CR2450 until now - They're huge!). Both of my fobs are still on the original battery with no loss of performance, but I keep a spare in the car just in case.

Good idea about keeping a spare Battery in the car....a bit of OTT, but that's me all over 🤪

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, 152bobby said:

Good idea about keeping a spare battery in the car....a bit of OTT, but that's me all over 🤪

I've just changed my daughters Battery in her fob for her MK2 Aygo, it's a CR2032.

Without cracking open my Aygo X remote, does anyone know what Battery that takes ?

My Yaris not smart entry/start is standard 2032. Easy enough to change myself, got plenty around. 

Some of you guys are being maybe a bit negative on the dealers, perhaps new Battery normally last more than 2 years? So a change each year is a waste added to landfill?

Bobby,  I just checked it in the aygo x manual which I keep as a pdf on my phone for just in case.

The aygoX without smart entry or smart button have the CR2032.

The ones with smart entry and start button have the CR2450.

Both lithium batteries.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well done Ivan, so it's a CR2450 for mine....cheers 🍻

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

On Monday night I booked a full service and MOT with Stoneacre via the Toyota web site (it's 12 years old but the Toyota site doesn't go beyond 10 years / 100,000 miles)
They called me this morning to let me know that there weren't actually any MOT slots available on the date I'd selected. While on the phone to rearrange the date, after trying to sell me some sort of engine flush and cabin fumigation additional services they asked if I wanted to add a change of Battery for the key for £14.95.
I checked the invoice for the last time I had it serviced there 2 years ago (when it actually was a 10 year / 100,000 mile service) and it lists T089745-YZZ04 Battery, TRANSMITTER itemised at £7.00.
I'll be cancelling my appointment in the morning.

7 hours ago, Ahar said:

On Monday night I booked a full service and MOT with Stoneacre via the Toyota web site (it's 12 years old but the Toyota site doesn't go beyond 10 years / 100,000 miles)
They called me this morning to let me know that there weren't actually any MOT slots available on the date I'd selected. While on the phone to rearrange the date, after trying to sell me some sort of engine flush and cabin fumigation additional services they asked if I wanted to add a change of battery for the key for £14.95.
I checked the invoice for the last time I had it serviced there 2 years ago (when it actually was a 10 year / 100,000 mile service) and it lists T089745-YZZ04 BATTERY, TRANSMITTER itemised at £7.00.

Price increases on EVERYTHING and ANYTHING seems to be the current trend, whether it's justified or not, every business is doing it.  My AA Family cover renewal arrived, £305, a jump of £100 for what !!.  I went on line and did a quote for the same level as I have and it was FAR cheaper than my renewal AND I that was also adding Onwards Travel which I never take.  In all the decades I have been with the AA, I reckon I have used them about three times, but I have aways had cover as piece of mind.

After "a chat" with them, I got my renewal for £195 including onwards travel.

Nowadays you have to be on your toes with everything, otherwise you will simply be robbed (just like what they were trying to do with you for a simple key fob Battery change).

8 hours ago, Ahar said:

they asked if I wanted to add a change of battery for the key for £14.95.
I checked the invoice for the last time I had it serviced there 2 years ago (when it actually was a 10 year / 100,000 mile service) and it lists T089745-YZZ04 BATTERY, TRANSMITTER itemised at £7.00.

They already overcharged you last time. You can buy them for a pound, I bet, if you buy with 20 pc (which they surely do).

I have a few batteries on order for the remote (CR2450) and they will cost me for Duracell's 7.7 euro, p&p included for 2 pc.

16 hours ago, Ahar said:

They called me this morning to let me know that there weren't actually any MOT slots available on the date I'd selected. While on the phone to rearrange the date, after trying to sell me some sort of engine flush and cabin fumigation additional services they asked if I wanted to add a change of battery for the key for £14.95.

That's weird, every time any of my Toyotas have had a Full Service, the fob Battery change has been part of that, no extra cost :g: (I always get them to give me the Battery as there's no point in changing it - I've had the same one in my Mk4's main fob since I bought it, with no sign of any problems! Given how massive the Battery is (CR2450 - It's like a £2 coin!! :eek:  My last car used CR1616, which is closer to an old 5p!) I expect it to last at least 5 years :laugh:  I keep the spares in the glovebox just in case it does suddenly die though!! :laugh: )

The Battery at £7 was just one of the list of itemised parts used and their prices along with oil and filters etc. It was included in the up-front quoted price of the service rather than being charged extra on top - unlike what they wanted to do this time.
I haven't actually got around to cancelling the service with Stoneacre yet but I will. I got a reminder from My Toyota at 1am today reminding me that I had a service and MOT booked for tomorrow. This was what I'd rearranged on the upselling call with them last Monday.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links