Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Official dealer recommends wrong weight oil?

Wclark

I took the car to its first oil and oil filter change at a Toyota official dealer today. I was very surprised when they told me they would use 5W30 oil instead of the 0W16 specified in the user manual. The dealer argues that in warm climates (Spain), 5W30 is used in all Toyota hybrids. It seems odd that no such consideration is made in the user manual. I insisted that 0W16 oil be used.
Do you believe I should use 5W30 in the future or stick to the manual specs? (0W16 oil is about 11% more expensive than 5W30 in Spain).

I'd stick with the manual.

• Like 2

A lot dealers in the UK use this same money saving practice - for themselves. The current MK4 Yaris uses 0W8, so I will be asking the dealer which oil they will be using before booking. Will insist on this oil grade, they can say they will use the grade, then put in a lower grade, would be none the wiser 😐

• Like 3

I will stick to the manual and take into consideration what oil was filled up at factory, 0w16. Only alternative to this is 0w20 and it’s absolutely fine to use it, however 5w30 it’s not at all. Nothing real will happen from once but continues use of this oil can cause excess oil consumption at later date. 5w30 Toyota is semi synthetic average quality at best motor oil , not as good as full synthetic 0w grades. 

• Like 1

5w30 is the recommend alterative to the 0w16 they also use 5w30 in higher mileage cars, yes it is used in hotter climates too

0w16 is better for colder climate

iirc Castrol are the OEM for Toyota

• Like 1

How does one stand when the car is serviced under contract by a Toyota franchised dealership?  I would imagine the dealership would use the oil as specified by Toyota, rather than risk an issue at a later date.

• Like 1

I would only let them use a different grade of oil if they got me confirmation in writing from Toyota head office that it wouldn't affect the warranty, any future good will or resulting liabilities.

• Like 1

As far as the 5W/30 or 15W/40 oil is concerned, I have encountered it among other things when changing it in a Toyota Yaris Hybrid 1.0 (even the manufacturer recommends it). On the other hand, there is so much talk about using low viscosity oils, such as 0W-20 or 0W-16, for the internal combustion engines of cars equipped with a hybrid drive system

I thought all Toyota dealerships would share the same use of Toyota official fluids. My local one does, I ask every so often and they always ensure it. And when I buy oil for my own changes they've always got bottles of the stuff in stock already. 

Same franchise, but the old Fiat dealership down the road used to use Castrol oil - but not the strange brand Fiat recommended / had stamped on the car. And admitted to me that for the fluids like coolant / brake fluid / sealers they used motor factor stuff... And the prices were still pretty high at that.  Maybe on newer cars it was different. Also in the world of Fiat, they had this TwinAir engine where the company actually updated / changed the oil spec a few times due to leaking etc, but that was a totally new engine design... 

For your Toyota Hybrid, I'd stick to the model. If the climate was a reason for concern, they would give two values - as they do with things like tyre pressures for different loads / climates. 

Try this, call up another dealer in Spain, ask what oil it uses. See if they tell you what the book says, or if they too mention the climate being a reason to use the same alternative.. Don't mention a word about what you were told elsewhere or they'll be likely to tell you they agree.

• Like 2

Thanks for your input. As SB1500 says, if the climate was a reason for concern, Toyota would give more than one value. I'll stick with 0W16.

• Like 3

49 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

I thought all Toyota dealerships would share the same use of Toyota official fluids. My local one does, I ask every so often and they always ensure it. And when I buy oil for my own changes they've always got bottles of the stuff in stock already. 

No, some large multi franchises have their own oil deals with the large oil companies. Toyota cannot force a dealer to use a specific oil, but of course it must be the correct spec/grade. We use Toyota genuine motor oils in bulk and pack, currently made by Chevron 

• Like 4

Just now, Parts-King said:

No, some large multi franchises have their own oil deals with the large oil companies. Toyota cannot force a dealer to use a specific oil, but of course it must be the correct spec/grade. We use Toyota genuine motor oils in bulk and pack, currently made by Chevron 

I think it should be mandatory. Imagine a dealership - charging dealership labour rates - fitting non genuine parts. That would be an outrage. I reckon the same should be applied to fluids.  But you are right, not all share this view.  

for some engines and oils though, it’s about more than grade. Think additive packages that might look after particular seals or emissions systems in some engines… these differ by brand 

If you maintain the 10 year warranty by having the main dealer service the car, any problems,  are with them. I know not everyone does this, but I will, just for my own safety. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

for some engines and oils though, it’s about more than grade. Think additive packages that might look after particular seals or emissions systems in some engines… these differ by brand 

Indeed, that's why I say it's not just the grade, but the specification. I can tell you will absolute clarity that Toyota genuine oils are top spec, the 0-20 is now ILSAC GF-6

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, Burrows said:

If you maintain the 10 year warranty by having the main dealer service the car, any problems,  are with them. I know not everyone does this, but I will, just for my own safety. 

They’re quite sketchy in terms of what they cover as part of that warranty. It’s not quite as comprehensive as your from-new 3/5 year warranty.  

For example, they told me my climate control unit wouldn’t have been covered or interior panel issues etc under the Relax Warranty. Id love to see a list of what is and isn’t covered..

35 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

They’re quite sketchy in terms of what they cover as part of that warranty. It’s not quite as comprehensive as your from-new 3/5 year warranty.  
 Id love to see a list of what is and isn’t covered..

Relax is an extended warranty, and no extended warranty covers the same as the new car warranty. Coverage is included in the terms and conditions (TCs) in the first post of the following topic:

• Thanks 1

48 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

That's because it is not a new car warranty. Don't think it has ever been "sketchy"

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/used-cars/Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21.pdf

It covers what I need it to cover, major component cover exists, if the engine goes pop because of wrong oil, they only have themselves to blame.

• Like 2

5w30 given in the book as alternative to 0w grades it is only in  an emergency situation, top ups on the go or oil drained but not 0w grade available etc. These 5w , 10w or 15w shown in the book are pure nonsense. Doesn’t matter the temperature of the region these engines starts from 0 rpm to 2000rpm or more in a fraction of a second when the car drives at 50+ mph in electric then the engine kicks in not at 800-1000rpm like a conventional petrol engine but jumps straight to 2000rpm or more. 
Even if it’s 35C° outside temperature the engine is cold so around 25C° and hit 2000rpm instantly with thicker oils with different properties you can starve the engine from oil and cause premature wear on the parts and obviously further damage. Another issue is that the wrong oil can cook itself at high temperature and form sludge that will stuck the piston rings, glaze the cylinder walls and lead to high oil consumption. 
The oil film is so thin but it needs to be where it needs to be at exact time to protect moving parts from excess heat and wear caused by friction. 
Thin oils actually provide better protection than thick ones. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Parts-King said:

That's because it is not a new car warranty. Don't think it has ever been "sketchy"

https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/used-cars/Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21.pdf

Not saying the Relax Warranty is sketchy.  Exact conditions posted above.  When I asked my service guy at my local dealership, he was a bit sketchy in terms of what it covered and didn’t. I mentioned a few things he said he didn’t think those things were covered.
Which to me put me off - but only because I misunderstood initially and thought it was a like for like with the new car warranty.   Still a good deal I’m sure 

1 hour ago, SB1500 said:

Still a good deal I’m sure 

Well, if you always have your car serviced at your main dealer it is an excellent deal, in fact, it doesn't get better, it's FREE 🤣🤣

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links