Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Diesel Aygo

Mjolinor

I am quite liking this Aygo that my sister gave me but my son is going to steal it and have it away to Chester.

I thought maybe I would get myself one and sell my Smart but of the three (Aygo, Citroen, Peugeot) there do not seem to be any Aygo diesels. Is this just my inability to search or did they only make Citroen and Peugeot diesels?

It seems that only 2006 to 2009 diesels were available. Is that correct? I would prefer newer but I can't find any.

There is quite an appropriate C1 on eBay currently but the guy does not know if it has power steering or not. Is it likely to have or certain to have or could it not have it?

I would prefer an Aygo if they made them but would make do with Citroen or Peugeot if I had to though maybe I should go with a petrol version.

In the UK all three (Aygo/C1/107) were initially available as diesels. However, the diesel wasn't significantly more economical than the petrol, and cost more. Relatively low sales, meant all three diesel versions were dropped within a couple of years.

• Like 4

The Detuned PSA diesel (2WZTV aka DV4 TD aka Ford DLD-414 Durasmoke ) was dropped in mid 2008 (absolute pile tbh) 107 and c1 had it till late 2010 Euro 4, old stock

The triplets all have EPS (Some early non EU ones had fluid PS)

• Like 2

TBH the petrol Aygo/C1/107 was just better in almost all respects than the diesel one.

If you want an Aygo-sized diesel, try and find a Mk1 diesel Yaris - They're practically the same size but it has a Toyota diesel engine, not a french one, and it muuuch better :naughty: :biggrin: 

They're japanese built and have hydraulic power steering, but good ones are hard to find nowadays.

I still miss my one, but thanks to KHAAAAAN! had to exchange it far too early :sad: 

• Like 2

Most small cars have petrols, you rev them till the valve come out and tap dance on the bonnet it's part of the Aygo's charm plus petrols hold their money better

it's a bit like having a higher end convertible but with a diesel, drop top with a face full of soot

• Haha 2

I like the Yaris but I fear it is too wide for my drive. Currently Faten has a 2011 Citroen C3 and she cannot get it behind the house without severe modifications to the bodywork. She could manage OK with her 2009 which was a bit narrower but this 2011 is beginning to look like a stock car.

This is the one I was thinking about. Low mileage so should be good for a lot of years before rot becomes a problem but the comments about the diesel are putting me off.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/276114988000

Maybe this one would be better. She has no problem with dents, scrapes and bangs and neither do I as long as it works OK.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394961422889

I much prefer diesels because of their suitability for short journeys with lots of stop start that urban driving gives you and the lack of maintenance requirements.

Most

1 hour ago, Mjolinor said:

I much prefer diesels because of their suitability for short journeys with lots of stop start that urban driving gives you and the lack of maintenance requirements.

Diesels after mid 2009 have a DPF, and in fact the complete opposite short trips block the DPF, foul injectors and dilute oil very quickly and will give you a higher maintenance bill plus the higher cost of diesel

Petrol - lower tax, cheaper insurance, same bhp, slightly better MPG - cheaper to run, less smell, and it don't sound like a tractor

Modern diesels have their place but are overly complex and can be money pits

You will pay a premium for smaller cars, especially an Aygo

At random off eBay

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/175971714640

• Like 2

Yeah, that's why I said a Mk1 Yaris - That was the last of the era of reliable diesels, before they started bolting on all the emissions control stuff which reduced their mpg and reliability significantly.

The other reason I suggested a Mk1 is it's very similar in size to an Aygo - I think it's maybe 3cm wider and maybe 15 longer or something like that? 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Yeah, that's why I said a Mk1 Yaris - That was the last of the era of reliable diesels, before they started bolting on all the emissions control stuff which reduced their mpg and reliability significantly.

The other reason I suggested a Mk1 is it's very similar in size to an Aygo - I think it's maybe 3cm wider and maybe 15 longer or something like that? 

Like you say though, I can't find one. 🙂

DPFs do not worry me. Best solution is to disable the EGR and they never block up.

There are literally thousands on ebay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/9800/i.html?_from=R40&_nkw=(aygo%2C+"citroen+c1"%2C+"peugeot+107")&LH_TitleDesc=0&_fsrp=1&LH_PrefLoc=1

You are limiting your pool of cars if you go for diesel Aygo or C1, they only sold in small numbers and for a short time as well were as petrol Aygos, C1s and 107s sold for whole lifespan of the Mk1.  No idea about reliability of the diesel as very few about, but the Toyota 1.0 petrol if well maintained is pretty bulletproof., hence why a lot of very early ears are still going strong. With these cars although they can take a fair bit of abuse, just so you know they can rot, usually places you cannot see easily like rear sills and rear sub frame are common.

Also see you listed a Mk2 Citroen C1, but that one has the PSA 1.2 engine which had issues in its early life and uses a wet belt/cambelt, where as the Toyota 1.0 engine has timing chain in Mk1 and Mk2 versions. 

We have a Peugeot 108 with Toyota 1.0 engine, but so you know the Mk2 is a far better built , quality car than the Mk1 and water leaks which plagued all versions of Mk1 are a lot rarer in Mk2. So depends on your budget, but a Mk2 although costs more it shows in the quality interior, seats etc. Happy hunting. 

I found out about water leaks when I traced a knock to a floating spare wheel in the boot. 🙂

High level brake light seal and new rear tailgate rubber hopefully sorted it. Time willl tell.

The egr has little to do with the DPF - EGR recycles exhaust gases into the intake, DPF filters the exhaust and will still clog, without it, it will fail emissions, with the new MOT standards coming it may struggle

2WZTV also has a cam belt, so that's another maintenance item

EGR causes a drop in combustion temperature to prevent nasty gases being generated during the burn. It also make the burn produce soot. If the combustion temperature is not lowered then very little soot is developed so the DPF lasts much longer.

As an example I have two CDI smart cars. One with EGR disabled and one without. The one with the EGR disabled has not regenerated for at least five years but the other one will do it every couple of months.

The invention of these bolt on "improvements" is the worst thing that happened to diesels ever.

What will turn me to petrol is the chain cam rather than an elastic band. I truly hate cam belts.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Mjolinor said:

The invention of these bolt on "improvements" is the worst thing that happened to diesels ever.

Improvement for the environment, at the cost of performance and higher maintenance cost.  Seriously though, if you manage to delete both EGR and DPF, the car will get much better MPG.

Personally, I'm never a fan of Diesel.  I've dealt with:

2013 Peugeot 3008 HDI 1.6

2009 B-Class CDI 2.0

2009 Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 1.6 HDI

Every single one of these gave me massive headache.

3008 had injector problem on injector 1 and 4.  Sure it might be just 1 & 4 for now, but can you be certain that 2 & 3 will not have any problems in the future?  Plus the timing belt was due, so I told my sister to trade it in.

B-Class had problem on EGR stuck open.  I've cleaned it and it was fine for a day.  Ended up replacing it a few weeks later.  At one point, it also came up with an error code for the Turblo (under boost).  I cleared it and just hope the code never comes back.

Then the Citroen C4, it was stalling and had an engine code for EGR valve.  Citroen put the EGR valve at the back of the engine right up against the fire wall...  To which I deny to work on it (send it to garage).

Oh yeah, some VW diesel owner approached me regarding Glow Plug lights.  To which I turned down the job, citing I don't have glow plug sockets.  I mean, VW Glow Plug is fairly easy.  However, I wouldn't say the same for my friend's Freelander 2...

Generally speaking there is no need to delete the EGR or the DPF.

I think that we are not many years off MOTs where the checksum of the ECU will become part of the test so any software messing will be an MOT fail.

It is much better to trick the car into believing that the EGR is still there and functional. This can generally be done using a resistive potential divider connected between the EGR solenoid and the MAF sensor. It can be removed in under 10 seconds and the car made standard again and, as I said earlier, if the EGR is disabled the DPF will not give any problems.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links