Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2013 1.33 petrol help

Jd121

Hi everyone, would appreciate some advice/clarity

I bought a 2013 auris 1.33 petrol around a year ago. I didn't really check it properly my own mistake and soon as I had driven around half an hour engine light came on. It was bought from a private seller and after having it checked out, it seemed someone had taken the catalytic converter out from the car thinking it was a hybrid but it was not and also sealed the egr valve shut. Seller agreed to pay me 350 back and end it there so I agreed. My second mistake. After shopping around I managed to find an Oem catalytic converter or whatever it is the thieves took and had it replaced. I drove it around for a few months with engine light still on and then also got the egr valve replaced and the engine light now went off. The car was getting around 33 mpg without the egr valve and with it it's now dropped substantially to around 28/29 or lower on some trips. I haven't been relying on the car instruments for this and calculating based on actual miles driven and litres of fuel used. On some days the range drops on the car dash 3 miles for a one mile trip. I drove a 24 mile round trip today and the range dropped around 38 miles. This was around half city driving and half motorway during the night and hardly any stopping or starting. Just regular driving and nothing too crazy either. Mpg on the car seems to be really low so maybe someone could help with ideas of what the issue could be. 

Brake pads and discs were changed last week on the back and the front are in good condition which is what mechanic told me. I check the tyres regulalry and they are kept at around 32 psi. I used a fully synthetic oil when changing with a new fuel filter and used the redommended oil 5w - 20 I believe and a good brand also (Petronas) as well as a new fuel filter. I drive pretty normally I'd say and I libe in West Yorkshire. Most of my driving is in a town and I woukdnt say I stop atrt very much. Maybe around 3/4 traffic lights on a trip. I also mix it with motorway driving and still my MPG is under 30 on my last two fuel fills. I really like the car as its been reliable so far but the low mpg is killing me as I've gotten a new job and will have to drive daily now instead so I'm thinking of selling and buying something with a better mpg. 

On another note, my auto stop start assist light won't go off. Mechanic told me the wrong Battery had been fitted and it's not a stop start Battery. Could someone please direct me to the Battery that would fit my Auris. Thanks in advance

• Sad 2

Sorry to hear of your experiences. The cat in the 1.33 is referred to as a manicat and is right up in the engine bay at the front of the engine. Hard to see how that could be taken as a theft as it is part of the exhaust manifold. Maybe it was just the silencer that was mistakenly taken although the egr take-off is from the manicat as far as I know (the small metal pipe). 

The mpg should be way better than you are getting with mid 40's easily achievable and low to mid 50's possible with longer runs. I have a 1.33 and never see figures below around 48 as a worst case and I have got as high as 55+.

Have a look at this I posted years ago:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157794-auris-133-fuel-bar-fuel-consumption-and-all-that-stuff/

The big issue with the 1.33 is burning oil and that can and does cause the cat to become blocked.

Battery... I got an Exide for Stop Start from 'Tayna' which are one of biggest Battery sellers in the UK. Stop start works every time. 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/213261-stop-start-fails-to-function/?do=findComment&comment=1707956

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/197661-new-battery-after-11-years-73k-all-in-all-the-best-car-i-have-owned/#comment-1559517

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Agreed with Mooly, the 1.33 cats are almost impossible to cut and take so likely to be a previous owner intervention. If you read the posts shared above you will see that these cars suffer from high oil consumption and bad catalytic converter as a result and likely the owner has removed the cat instead of replacing it with new. 

• Like 3

One question I need to ask. Have you had diagnostics done, and if so, what are the codes? The Auris should be getting a higher mpg, since my much larger 1.8 Valvematic Avensis Tourer is getting mid to upper 30's with mostly town and local driving. I hope your mechanic has checked the spark plugs! They should be Iridium. The previous owner could have put in anything like cheap, incorrect or even fake parts!

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I'd love some advice on how to fix the issue or what to look out for. The couple mechanics I've spoken to didn't really seem that interested and they just fkfered the usual advice - my driving style, cold weather etc. Thing is I'm also getting same mileage whataver driving style I employ and the same in the summer as well. 

On 10/30/2023 at 6:49 PM, Konrad C said:

One question I need to ask. Have you had diagnostics done, and if so, what are the codes? The Auris should be getting a higher mpg, since my much larger 1.8 Valvematic Avensis Tourer is getting mid to upper 30's with mostly town and local driving. I hope your mechanic has checked the spark plugs! They should be iridium. The previous owner could have put in anything like cheap, incorrect or even fake parts!

Yeah has the spark plugs fitted 2 weeks ago. Brand new Iridium NGKs.. I used a voltmeter to check they were Orginal also and all above board. My mechanic changed them for me and the old ones were actually in really good condition also so didn't really need changing. Engine lights been off since I put in a new Egr valve around mid ocotber I believe. No other codes present. Just the really bad mpg

On 10/30/2023 at 6:33 AM, Mooly said:

Sorry to hear of your experiences. The cat in the 1.33 is referred to as a manicat and is right up in the engine bay at the front of the engine. Hard to see how that could be taken as a theft as it is part of the exhaust manifold. Maybe it was just the silencer that was mistakenly taken although the egr take-off is from the manicat as far as I know (the small metal pipe). 

The mpg should be way better than you are getting with mid 40's easily achievable and low to mid 50's possible with longer runs. I have a 1.33 and never see figures below around 48 as a worst case and I have got as high as 55+.

Have a look at this I posted years ago:

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/157794-auris-133-fuel-bar-fuel-consumption-and-all-that-stuff/

The big issue with the 1.33 is burning oil and that can and does cause the cat to become blocked.

Battery... I got an Exide for Stop Start from 'Tayna' which are one of biggest battery sellers in the UK. Stop start works every time. 

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/213261-stop-start-fails-to-function/?do=findComment&comment=1707956

https://www.toyotaownersclub.com/forums/topic/197661-new-battery-after-11-years-73k-all-in-all-the-best-car-i-have-owned/#comment-1559517

Hey guys, thanks for getting back to me. Ssory I haven't responded sooner. For soem reason didn't receive any notifications at all. Anyway in the last couple of motnhs all codes have been cleared, did the MOT and it passed with flying colours. I put in new sparkplugs, oil, air filter, redex a few times and my mpg is now ar 28. I'm at the end of my tether as now I'm doing a lot more driving due to a new job and the cost in petrol is a killer. Especially when I hear of a lot others getting 40+. Thinking of just selling it and buying something else. I actually love the car and it's been very reliable, well apart from this so called Cat issue but that's been resolved. Also put in a new Egr valve as well so I've spent a bit on it getting evrything iced to no avail. Still same fuel efficiency. I do have to top up the oil every few months but not by a lot. Probably like half a litre after 3000 miles.. 

On 10/30/2023 at 12:07 PM, TonyHSD said:

Agreed with Mooly, the 1.33 cats are almost impossible to cut and take so likely to be a previous owner intervention. If you read the posts shared above you will see that these cars suffer from high oil consumption and bad catalytic converter as a result and likely the owner has removed the cat instead of replacing it with new. 

I believe e it was the silencer that was taken. As I mentioned the guy put Offical toyota hybrid icons  all around the car so I'm. Assuming whoever took it thought it was a hybrid

It's hard to say, could be anything from a stuck brake caliper to massive blow-by in the cylinders. Need someone with good diagnostic skills

There are lots of better ones out there; I think you'd be better off selling it and getting another one unless you have the money and patience to properly fix it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's hard to say, could be anything from a stuck brake caliper to massive blow-by in the cylinders. Need someone with good diagnostic skills

There are lots of better ones out there; I think you'd be better off selling it and getting another one unless you have the money and patience to properly fix it.

Yeah I think that's best option. Cheers mate

• 3 weeks later...

I have the same pry with my 1.33 auris and getting 300 miles range on full tank ( 26 -28 mpg) no where near 40 mpg with local driving, I got it serviced when I bought it in September and had a new clutch put in couple of months ago, after reading a few posts on this forum, I think it needs a diagnostic, possibly change the spark plugs, and change the Battery, as it is not a stop/start Battery.

I changed spark plugs and it made 0 difference.its an issue with the egr/air intake system or maybe oxygen sensor. Anyway buying new car on Saturday 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 2/14/2024 at 10:34 PM, Shak_ahmed said:

I have the same pry with my 1.33 auris and getting 300 miles range on full tank ( 26 -28 mpg) no where near 40 mpg with local driving, I got it serviced when I bought it in September and had a new clutch put in couple of months ago, after reading a few posts on this forum, I think it needs a diagnostic, possibly change the spark plugs, and change the battery, as it is not a stop/start battery.

Hey did you manage to get it resolved? Mines still exactly the same. 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links