Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

USB Connectivity

Barkley

The only shortcoming I can find in my otherwise well-specced iQ is provision of a USB-A or USB-C socket in the cabin. Yes, I could thrust a 12v converter into the accessory socket but there must be more elegant solutions available. Is there such a thing as fascia-mounted USB panel that can be fitted to an unused (blank) switch cover anywhere on the dash?  What have others done - is there even a compatible drop in socket as a Toyota part?

Any pointers gratefully received!

• Like 1

yes, just use a standard toyota aux/usb port you can also get these in 2.1a charge only ports, TNS350 has the USB on the front

usual location for the usb/aux is down by the handbrake

• Like 2

Alternatively you could add something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QTJZ1ST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that way you get both usb ports & ability to stream music through the Speakers (I use a 3.5mm cable 8th the aux socket but from memory you can also broadcast to a vacant fm frequency).

Good luck, Dave.

1 hour ago, flash22 said:

yes, just use a standard toyota aux/usb port you can also get these in 2.1a charge only ports, TNS350 has the USB on the front

usual location for the usb/aux is down by the handbrake

Do you know of any fitting/wiring guides for these? It's the wiring I'm especially rubbish at.

1 hour ago, Touring_Dave said:

Alternatively you could add something like:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QTJZ1ST/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

that way you get both usb ports & ability to stream music through the speakers (I use a 3.5mm cable 8th the aux socket but from memory you can also broadcast to a vacant fm frequency).

Good luck, Dave.

Functional but illegal in the UK. 🙂

1 minute ago, Mjolinor said:

Functional but illegal in the UK. 🙂

Illegal? Whoaaaa! Why is that? Because it transmits through FM? I'm asking, because I recently bought one lol.

If you're right, could you paste a link to the relevant law for me?

• Like 1

They used to be totally illegal in the UK but EU law changed slightly about 20 years ago to allow very low power devices but if you get asked you have to be able to prove that they are under the maximum power allowed.

Most of the radio frequency spectrum is governed by law and requires licensing in order to transmit but there are some exceptions and all of them limit the power you are allowed to use.

It is monitored by OFCOM and IIRC IR2030 is the relevant stuff.

In reality the chances of getting caught are zero with the chance of being prosecuted being less than that. 🙂

I have had a lot of dealings with OFCOM prior to retiring because I was a radio frequency R and D engineer and they don't really give a monkeys as long as you do not cause problems and as long as you stop doing it if someone does have a problem.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

They used to be totally illegal in the UK but EU law changed slightly about 20 years ago to allow very low power devices but if you get asked you have to be able to prove that they are under the maximum power allowed.

Most of the radio frequency spectrum is governed by law and requires licensing in order to transmit but there are some exceptions and all of them limit the power you are allowed to use.

In reality the chances of getting caught are zero with the chance of being prosecuted being less than that. 🙂

I have had a lot of dealings with OFCOM prior to retiring because I was a radio frequency R and D engineer and they don't really give a monkeys as long as you do not cause problems and as long as you stop doing it if someone does have a problem.

As mentioned, I use an aux cable😃

10 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Thanks. Do you happen to know what the allowable power output is?

You use phone <> device cable but device to radio uses the FM radio band and that is what is licensed.

Like I say though, I doubt you would ever be bothered by anyone.

OFCOM generally do a good job that can be difficult. There was a problem about twenty years ago where the ALS at Manchester airport would sometimes not work about once a month when they used one of the runways. It took them a long time to track it down. The culprit was a bakery with big radio frequency ovens. They had two production lines that were alternated and the doors operated automatically when the oven was on to let the bread out but the heating was not turned off. One of the ovens was directly in line with the flight path and when the door was opened the ALS stopped working.

You can imagine the time it took to find that one.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, glimp said:

Thanks. Do you happen to know what the allowable power output is?

-43 dBm

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

You use phone <> device cable but device to radio uses the FM radio band and that is what is licensed.

Like I say though, I doubt you would ever be bothered by anyone.

OFCOM generally do a good job that can be difficult. There was a problem about twenty years ago where the ALS at Manchester airport would sometimes not work about once a month when they used one of the runways. It took them a long time to track it down. The culprit was a bakery with big radio frequency ovens. They had two production lines that were alternated and the doors operated automatically when the oven was on to let the bread out but the heating was not turned off. One of the ovens was directly in line with the flight path and when the door was opened the ALS stopped working.

You can imagine the time it took to find that one.

Sorry, but you’ve misunderstood.

Phone to device is via bluetooth.

Device to car is via aux cable. There is an option to use vacant fm however this is not something I do.

• Like 1

Just now, Touring_Dave said:

Sorry, but you’ve misunderstood.

Phone to device is via Bluetooth.

Device to car is via aux cable. There is an option to use vacant fm however this is not something I do.

Ah, right. I have not seen one with the option to turn off the FM transmit but it makes sense that you can.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

-43 dBm

So 40 dBm is legal? (that's a number I pulled out of thin air!)

3 hours ago, flash22 said:

TNS350 has the USB on the front

It does indeed, but I’m trying to keep the visual clutter down as I find somewhere to plug in my MagSafe charger (which clips to one of the air vent ribs, so a socket near the handbrake would be ideal. I’ll check with Toyota Parts at a local dealer as there’s nothing in their eBay store that’s similar.

The Amazon device adds lots of functionality that I’d never need to use as I have the TNS350, and my experience of FM low power transmitters creates more problems than it solves, I find the audio loses fidelity and not much better than an AM frequency response.

as for OFCOM, there’s a YT video of the discovery of a London pirate station that had been abandoned (but lain discovered for over 10 years in a block of flats roof void, using the rebroadcast ploy) so not one of their enforcement successes!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Mjolinor said:

No, it has to be less than -43 dBm. That is 50 nW or less.

oh - mine will be miles less than 50nW, whatever that is.

FM modulators were a thing 10 years ago, the only decent ones i come across were wired inline with the coax they are susceptible to RFI and EMI and still have a low bit rate even dropping to mono audio at times

Tks Bob - the guy selling the USB only device is having a laugh £50 with £10 off for a used one!  £14 for the Aux+USB is a more reasonable £15.  I wonder what they are new?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links