Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Fireworks

Rhymes with Paris

In the aftermath of reading about the gangs of morons delighting in chucking fireworks and petrol bombs at houses, cars, and at the police.

I went through the usual 6th November ritual of hoping my car had survived without burns on the paintwork,a penalty of living on da hood I suppose.

It was as usual covered in wet cardboard debris and powder from rockets I presume,too mucky to see if burnt or not.

I saw in addition to the usual roll call of the common sense challenged trying to blow various body parts off themselves, there also very sadly ,were injuries to the public at an organised fireworks display.

I am thinking it is at last time to call a halt to these loathsome devices,yes I know, many have done so before , but surely with life changing injuries every single year, and the criminal element jumping up and down screeching with joy at the prospect of yet another excuse to create property damage and personal injury, this needs addressing.

I wonder if emailing my MP and local police commissioner would do any good ,got to be worth a try I suppose.

• Like 5

Hi Paul,

Many of the councils have stopped the public firework displays stating various reasons from cost to health and safety issues.

I sympathise with the potential of having your car damaged and the worry that goes with this, let alone of any cost if it is damaged.

It appears over the last few years public displays depending on the area, have slowly diminished anyway.

We heard very few going off on Saturday and Sunday and with the cost of them I am not surprised.

Maybe if they ban firework sales to the public but have displays only, it will stop the morons who enjoy inflicting personal injury.

But as with all things government and councils they all need a rocket up their a***🚀

• Like 3

There has been very few private fireworks around my area this year, as alluded above, it's likely due to cost. 

As they say Paul, you can take the boy from da hood, but not the da hood from the boy 🙃

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I have had very few around our area too. As nice as some of them do look when they go off, I have never seen the point of setting them off. Why burn good money??

• Like 1

It seems common sense to me that fireworks should only be available to registered organisers, and used in strictly controlled display situations.  Surely the Edinburgh antics only serve to support this direction?   

Some years ago, there was a control implemented in the degree of “bang” that a firework could produce, but of late the explosive effect of some fireworks indicates that this ruling has been ignored.

There is also the risk of rockets and the like causing damage due to where the debris might fall - another reason for control by professional display crews.

For a driver who splashes others by driving carelessly through flood water, there are penalties.  But recklessly discharging explosive devices into the atmosphere, regardless of where the debris may fall, is quite acceptable in law.  Makes no sense to me.

• Like 3

There are also news articles about fireworks exploding inside a BMW, around Liverpool area I think.

One of the occupants lost half his hand by the sounds of it.

But even with organised displays , people are still getting injured, like the poor little boy at that cricket club,in Staffordshire I think, along with several others.

And as Albert says above, the debris, which may still be alight or very hot,can fall anywhere, causing other fires which may not be intentional by morons setting them off any old where, but still damage and danger to others.

As the old folk wisdom saying around here goes "Red sky at night,shed's on fire"

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Same old sad story, isn’t it?  Whenever public safety is involved, UK governments always prevaricate, and either take ages or never resolve what, to Joe Public, is a simple decision to make.  Straightforward, sensible legislation gets bandied between the two houses - opposing parties playing one-upmanship in the Commons, and dozing old codgers in the House of Lords making aimless votes during their intermittent waking moments. Result - status quo!

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Same old sad story, isn’t it?  Whenever public safety is involved, UK governments always prevaricate, and either take ages or never resolve what, to Joe Public, is a simple decision to make.  Straightforward, sensible legislation gets bandied between the two houses - opposing parties playing one-upmanship in the Commons, and dozing old codgers in the House of Lords making aimless votes during their intermittent waking moments. Result - status quo!

Hi Albert,

Not all are found to be dozing in the house of lords. Many arrive in taxis obviously claimed on expenses, sign in and go straight back out into the waiting taxi. And receive £300 a day for the privilege. 

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Albert,

Not all are found to be dozing in the house of lords. Many arrive in taxis obviously claimed on expenses, sign in and go straight back out into the waiting taxi. And receive £300 a day for the privilege. 

Perhaps they do the least damage by not poking their noses into things they may not be qualified upon which to judge!  Ha,ha!

• Haha 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links