Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cannot go into gear after engine rebuild

byrkius77

Hello amigos,

I have successfully rebuild a 2ww Toyota 2.0 diesel engine (actually it's BMW N47C20A crappy motor) it had a broken crankshaft.

So after rebuilding an engine I have put everything else back in place as it was. 

But now I cannot go into gears because of clutch being engaged. Everything is bled properly, no slave or master cylinder leaks I checked it 200 times.

I have a very stiff pedal at the end of its travel distance, but still can't go into gears properly...

Ia am wondering, is it possible that DMF is somehow damaged, or clutch drive, or even gearbox shaft, maybe should I start looking from bent fork? But why do I have very stiff pedal but still cannot disangage engine from gearbox?

Cheers for answers!

IMG_20231010_202238.jpg

IMG_20231010_185854.jpg

IMG_20231021_163545.jpg

• Thanks 1

The only way to check whats gone wrong is to separate gearbox from engine. What I have found in the past is the fingers on the pressure plate have been damaged on assembly due to inaccurate assembly ie the gearbox drive shaft has bent the fingers resulting in a semi permanent engagement of the clutch. No easy out I am afraid.

• Like 1

Blimey, how did that happen?? Not a good advertisement of BMW build quality, I can't remember the last time I heard of a Toyota crankshaft snapping!

It may be there is something obstructing the movement of the clutch fork (I don't think yours uses a CSC...?), but also possible the clutch may have been damaged as jim says. It's not a common enough thing to have many suggestions so you're probably going to have to check it methodically/step by step from the hydraulics back to the clutch :sad: 

Thanks for replays!

So I took transmission off agian and I see a little scoring in on the inside ring of pressure plate. So I assume that pressure plates spring levers are all bent due to broken crankshaft before. 

Because when clutch is fitted with pressure plate there is only a few milimeters of spring retainers travel distance before backoff bearing hits that inside ring.

Do I am thinking right? Or does anyone have any more ideas? Fork doesn't seem to be bent.

IMG_20231119_134307.jpg

IMG_20231119_134255.jpg

• Thanks 1

Check that your reassembly of the clutch disc and pressure plate is fitted the correct way round, don't know if its possible to fit clutch disc the wrong way round on this model but I know with some its possible to fit the clutch disc with the wrong face towards the flywheel. Does the clutch actuator piston move when you press the brake pedal? Also compare the angle of the pressure plate fingers with a new one to check they are not excessively bent in the direction of the flywheel.I think the pressure plate  fingers in the picture are bent out of specification. Please let us all know what happens.

This is a Valeo clutch kit note the angle of the the pressure plate fingers, very different from yours.

Screenshot 2023-11-19 12.26.55.png

Hey, I just figured it out. Posting for others to get better understanding.

In almost every pressure plate there is a self adjusting spring loaded retainers, so when that crankshaft was broken it somehow self tighten it self.

Soooo, guys... When you are reinstalling clutch, for example after any high vibrations in crank or transmission shafts, make sure you have reset your pressure plate. Just watch this folks vid: 

Anyways, thanks for your help and hope that helped!

IMG_20231119_142836.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Good job finding that, I would never have thought of that! Never come across it before, but people normally replace the clutch when doing this sort of work so I guess it normally gets overlooked!

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links