Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery fault code P3012, try to fix first before selling?

iainso

My dad passed away recently and I'm looking to sell his Prius, which he had from new and is a 2007 model, 62k miles, and annual main dealer service stamps since new.

The problem is the warning light popped on last week, I called the AA out and they diagnosed the following:

"Patrol found the following fault code/s:System : Global OBD II - 39L / Global OBD II Status :P3012 - Unknown fault. Error Message : . Fault stored.Fault for hybrid Battery block 2Cleared close and light stayed off,invertor working and charging 12 volt system.Needs taking to dealer for Battery investigation.Only drive to dealer once booked on.Engine Oil Level Ok. Coolant Level Ok."

In normal circumstances I would either get this fixed at the garage and sell, or advertise spares or repair on autotrader and deal with all the clowns and jokers that phone up then don't turn up. But right now dealing with my father's passing and my mother not being in a good state, I just can't deal with this.

Webuyanycar gave me a £715 quote as a 'non-runner', but I fear they will see it and start deducting more for a couple of minor parking scrapes (things chipsaway could deal with).

Besides the parking scrapes the only other things that might put off a buyer is a slightly funny smell inside that I can't identify, and because no one has driven it for months (I just run the engine for an hour a week to keep the Battery charged) and it's late autumn you can sense a bit of moisture building inside.

2 hours ago, flash22 said:

It needs to be driven TBH and cycle the pack a few times

Would that possibly fix the problem?

54 minutes ago, iainso said:

Would that possibly fix the problem?

Very likely imo. 
Just drive the car for a week or so in various situations and a long journey of 60 min plus on a motorway with fault code on , that’s not a problem and you may see the fault goes away. Perhaps 200-400 miles journey will show if gonna be or not. 👍

With such a fault a dealer will quote you a new Battery pack, driving it will cost you a bit of time and some petrol

• Like 2

Use the car yourself for 2 month just to see if code goes away the extra cost of insurance will will pay dividends if codes clear as I sure it be worth more then.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links