Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

The frozen windscreen 18p hack to clear icy windows

jthspace

Frozen Windscreen?

The frozen windscreen 18p hack to clear icy windows in seconds

You're in a rush and you've just found all the windows on your car are frozen up. A nightmare start to your frosty Monday morning - or any morning in your week for that matter - unless you work from home of course.

Well, help is at hand because if you have just downed your coffee, or morning cuppa of the old faithful Yorkshire Tea, then run back to the kitchen and pop some cooling kettle water in those freezer bags you never use - and then rub the bag over your windscreen and windows. Job done.

The hack - which if you buy 15 of them from Tesco in an XL box then you're on your way for it to just cost you 18p in the £2.75 pack - has proven a hit with all motorists without damaging your car at the same time.

The key to the viral video showing you how it's done is to make sure you have some cold water in the bag to start with to make sure the bag doesn't contain boiler water that it splits and scolds you - and probably sending you to A&E on foot.

• Like 3

I use a old empty garden weed sprayer that was never used, I fill it with warm water and the adjustable spray clears the ice in seconds. I always make sure the water is only warm and never to hot.:smile:

• Like 3

I like to run the engine on the drive, and warm the interior of the car too before getting in.

It's expensive on petrol, and some jetting off to cop28 burning tonnes of aviation fuel may say it's bad for the environment.

But then again, maybe they can breathe ok when going from a warm temperature to cold.

Some cannot.

• Like 3

I never use warm water on my glass. Not warm enough, and it often freezes along with ice already there. Too hot, and there is a risk of cracking the windscreen.  Allowing the car to heat up the screen is much more gentle, and is safe.

Personally, I use use windscreen spray (just bought some from Tesco) and liberally spray the glass and allow it to soften the ice - which the wipers then sweep from the windscreen.

• Like 2

IS JUST A JOKE

I personally like to use my garage it really helps keeping the car away from frost/water in the morning, being good to the environment and also neighbors

Have a lovely weekend  😛 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

The simplest solution is to ask your other half to do it ....

• Haha 8

Or you could try the MyToyota app to warm the car remotely 👍 If you can ever get the App to work correctly 😀

• Haha 1

Apparently, you can use BOILING water to clear your windscreen 🙄

• Sad 1

Good video.  I must try it myself. 

Two my neighbours leave their cars outside so I'll try them early one morning.   Can't do it on mine as it doesn't freeze in the garage.

😆

• Haha 5

8 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Does that work? I feel that would just make it worse, when they hit you with an icy glare...

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

9 hours ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

You know my wife then, do you?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Best solution is to get over 65 and retire.

The need is thus removed.

I can heartily recommend it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Cyker said:

Does that work?

Well, you're either a minnow or a shark ......

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

I think they'll have abolished retirement by the time I get there! :eek: :laugh: 

• Haha 3

32 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

But then you won't get the pleasure of lying in on a Bank holiday. It'll be like any other day

• Haha 2

This weather I really miss my heated screen, mines in a garage at home but at work it’s just in the car park and these last couple of evenings it’s had frost on the screen, in my last job I had a company van that lived outside, I used to use demon ice de icer which worked very well, you could also spray it on the night before and it was supposed to lessen the icing effect, it did a bit, but it always needed an extra squirt, it all changed when my company was taken over and they used ford vans…with heated screens….

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think they'll have abolished retirement by the time I get there! :eek: :laugh: 

Capital idea, you keep working so I can live in the lap of luxury for ever. 🙂

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

Capital idea, you keep working so I can live in the lap of luxury for ever. 🙂

Work till you drop 👹

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, Primus1 said:

This weather I really miss my heated screen, mines in a garage at home but at work it’s just in the car park and these last couple of evenings it’s had frost on the screen, in my last job I had a company van that lived outside, I used to use demon ice de icer which worked very well, you could also spray it on the night before and it was supposed to lessen the icing effect, it did a bit, but it always needed an extra squirt, it all changed when my company was taken over and they used ford vans…with heated screens….

Had it in an old fiesta, liked it, although it makes the screen a little darker. Wonder what is the main reason not many manufacturers have it as standard on the cars?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Had it in an old fiesta, liked it, although it makes the screen a little darker. Wonder what is the main reason not many manufacturers have it as standard on the cars?

I would imagine cost, or manufactures rely on the auto de mist function most cars seem to have..

8 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Work till you drop 👹

Ah yes retirement looms for me too, although I’m semi retired now, we’ll, not quite, I gave up my last job after doing it for thirty years, the last four of which we came under new ownership by a company I didn’t want to work for, I was hoping for redundancy but, alas,  as I has a gas qualification I was kept on, I stuck it for four years when I discovered my private pension was worth a fair bit, so, having no mortgage or rent, I decided to find something else, I now work in a care home as a maintenance man, ( hence the semi retirement) and basically took a massive pay cut, but, money isn’t everything, now, I don’t have to get involved in any complicated job as I just call in a contractor if I can’t do it, the only downside is I have to limit my cups of tea and coffee 😀, I’ve three years until official retirement, but I have the power to decide my own destiny, which is a great feeling…

• Like 3

21 hours ago, 1.33 said:

Apparently, you can use BOILING water to clear your windscreen 🙄

Definitely a VERY BAD idea.  Boiling, or even very hot water, is likely to set up stresses in the glass which can, immediately or later, cause the glass to crack.  A look on your browser will give plenty of advice NOT to use boiling water on a windscreen.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Definitely a VERY BAD idea.  Boiling, or even very hot water, is likely to set up stresses in the glass which can, immediately or later, cause the glass to crack.  A look on your browser will give plenty of advice NOT to use boiling water on a windscreen.

I totally agree if using boiling water that is a potential for disaster, however I have only ever used warm water and a spray bottle that has an adjustable spray and it clears my screen in no time and I can use a window squeegee to take off any excess water.

However I only use this if I am in a hurry as I normally let the car run with the screen and heating controls on. But to be honest I have never had any problems with a windscreen by using warm water. 

I wish I could put the car in our garage but I think when they built our houses they designed them to fit a HIllman imp or a Isetta bubble car.:laugh:Of course if you are lucky enough to have a big enough garage to fit the size of modern day car in then great. :smile:

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links