Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Tyre speed ratings

Woofwoof

It’s come time for new tyres

after 19k front (Conti eco contact 6, oem) are down to 1.7/1.6mm, backs are down to about 3.5/4mm

i want to change to all seasons (prob Michelin cross climate 2)

is it ok if I only get a speed rating of H or V? (I don’t think I’ve gone higher than 85 which was a mistake once) I do quite a bit of mototrway driving

any other recommendations for lang lasting tyres with good fuel economy and grip?

Think I would be looking T upwards. Car is rated at 112mph top speed. 

speed_ratings_chart.gif

Hi, 

Goodyear vector 4 seasons gen3 are also very good choice for all season tyres. https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/vector-4seasons-gen-3/205/55/R16/V/91/f?tyre=40399588

Or Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 for summer tyres, both types of tyres has excellent grip and long lasting. 
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/efficientgrip-performance-2/205/55/R16/V/91/f?tyre=39948115

Stay on V rating as per the manufacturer recommended speed rating of your car tyres and sizes. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, you would think you could use a lower speed rating, who does 149 these days !  but its not as simple as that as the car manufacturer, specs the tyre to the car.

Something we did not appreciate until recently in that you should always replace your tyres with the same speed rating that the car maker fitted, seems if you fit a different speed rating you could invalidate your insurance, similar to fitting different alloys.  Seems Any modification can invalidate it, or even refuse to insure you if your answer Yes to their application questions.

Probably not an issue for most but if you get an eagle eyed claims inspector it could be trouble.

Also different speed ratings means the rubber used is different ,  lower speed ratings can mean a  softer rubber so it can also affect their life/wear  and  also performance and noise.

• Like 3

Don't get Pirelli.  Some have no tread at all and seem to wear out in a 100 miles or so, even ones rated to 200+ mph.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

Hi, 

Goodyear vector 4 seasons gen3 are also very good choice for all season tyres. https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/vector-4seasons-gen-3/205/55/R16/V/91/f?tyre=40399588

Or Goodyear efficient grip performance 2 for summer tyres, both types of tyres has excellent grip and long lasting. 
https://www.blackcircles.com/catalogue/goodyear/efficientgrip-performance-2/205/55/R16/V/91/f?tyre=39948115

Stay on V rating as per the manufacturer recommended speed rating of your car tyres and sizes. 

What’s your opinion on Michelin vs Goodyear?

And does rated fuel efficiency matter in real life?

19 hours ago, oldcodger said:

Something we did not appreciate until recently in that you should always replace your tyres with the same speed rating that the car maker fitted, seems if you fit a different speed rating you could invalidate your insurance, similar to fitting different alloys.  Seems Any modification can invalidate it, or even refuse to insure you if your answer Yes to their application questions.

Same or higher rating is fine, not lower as that could invalidate insurance. It would be difficult for the the insurer to refuse if a car was bought used with lower rating tyres fitted. Not everyone is expected to know tyre speed rating for their car.

• Like 3

24 minutes ago, Woofwoof said:

Have used both brands, M energy saver and G efficient grip over many years, but could not notice any difference in noise, handling or mpg.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mojo1010 said:

Same or higher rating is fine, not lower as that could invalidate insurance. It would be difficult for the the insurer to refuse if a car was bought used with lower rating tyres fitted. Not everyone is expected to know tyre speed rating for their car.

Well as they say, ignorance is no defence, typically specified in the cars handbook plus the tyre fitter should be advising if they are the wrong spec.

The price difference between H and V is typically just a £1 or so.

16 minutes ago, oldcodger said:

Well as they say, ignorance is no defence, typically specified in the cars handbook plus the tyre fitter should be advising if they are the wrong spec.

The price difference between H and V is typically just a £1 or so.

Wouldn't call limited knowledge on cars as ignorance. I had very limited knowledge when first started driving, that is not ignorance. 

Not every used car purchase comes with a handbook, certainly not a legal requirement to read it. Car may not need to visit tyre fitters, also most tyre fitter only replace like for like speed rating if have them in stock. 

1 hour ago, Woofwoof said:

Hi, 

there are very similar in almost all aspects. 
Which one to choose, perhaps depends on what brand you prefer, it’s like bmw vs Mercedes’, both best top car makers with their typical branded signature characters.
When watching tyres reviews online often seen some negligible small differences like a tenth of a second lap times, that’s laughable in real world scenarios and differences on the tests between 10 different brands of all season tyres will not be so marginal. The more important stuff is how the tyres perform in daily use and how they wear, and how they do it in extreme situations, emergency braking or sharp corners,  and how the performance gets affected by the age and mileage, any cracks, dry rot, reduce grip etc. Both Goodyear and Michelin score high in these. 
Fuel efficiency between Michelin and Goodyear will be very similar, slightly less efficient with all season vs summer tyres. 
From both Michelin vs Goodyear I will pick Goodyear for myself., however if Michelin are on offer can do with set of those no problems at all. 
My experience with Michelin cc is minimal and from an electric car and they tend to lose grip when pushed to slow down quickly on wet. 
The Goodyear vectors grips better in similar conditions imo but again the car and driving style matters. The ev I compare is 300+ kg heavier. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

Wouldn't call limited knowledge on cars as ignorance. I had very limited knowledge when first started driving, that is not ignorance. 

Not every used car purchase comes with a handbook, certainly not a legal requirement to read it. Car may not need to visit tyre fitters, also most tyre fitter only replace like for like speed rating if have them in stock. 

Nothing personal intended there to you or the other posters.

Its a standard legal term "ignorantia juris non excusat"   which means that if a problem happened due to say not using the correct tyre rating the person concerned could not legally use the excuse that they did not know about it, its their responsibility to know.

Similar to where the driver of the car is responsible for ensuring all other occupants are secured with seat belts etc etc.

However in this day and age where mechanical knowledge of a cars working is becoming less and less, centered more on the dashboard screen and phone setting  many are more reliant on garages doing the servicing correctly.

https://www.oxfordreference.com/display/10.1093/oi/authority.20110803095957244

Responsibility is not law as far as I'm concern. Not having a go, but the driver is not responsible for ALL passengers not wearing a seatbelt.

• Like 1

Check your handbook for size, speed and load rating of tyres - my (2.0 Design) specifies speed rating of "W" and load of "91".  I think that you would be very inwise to save a few pounds by lowering either of those ratings, although I believe it is acceptable for full Winter  /cold weather spec tyres to have lower speed rate.  

If you go for tyres with lower speed or load rating, inform your insurer and beware an eagle eyed MOT tester may fail the car. 

go for the correct rating and the best you can afford after all they are the only thing between you and the ditch, i personally always go for Michelin.

• Like 2

Legally the person driving is responsible for making sure children under the age of 14 are wearing their seat belt. For passengers aged 14 and over it is their own responsibility to wear a seat belt.

Back to the topic subject, please - tyre speed ratings.

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links