Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Unleaded ultra

YarisOAP

By mistake I put unleaded ultra in my tank will it do any damage my new Yaris design it certainly damaged my pocket £51 

• Haha 4

No. The Yaris is designed to run on a minimum of 95RON, so super unleaded will be fine.

• Like 5

Terry, wow, how did you manage to put £51 worth into your car?

Just joking, a big fill for me is £20.

• Like 2
  • Confused 2

The only thing it will harm is your pocket.👌

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bernard Foy said:

The only thing it will harm is your pocket.👌

Only if the mpg vs expense curve does not equalise

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I've been trying lots of fuels including many super unleadeds - It won't harm the engine. If anything, it might make it run slightly better! :laugh: 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Cyker said:

I've been trying lots of fuels including many super unleadeds - It won't harm the engine. If anything, it might make it run slightly better! :laugh: 

Just… i will say this only once…

no E10. 
ever

• Like 5
  • Confused 2

5 hours ago, YarisOAP said:

will it do any damage my new Yaris design

If you floor it then you might get whiplash (if you believe some of the stories you read on-line) 😄

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Paul john said:

Just… i will say this only once…

no E10. 
ever

Then count your lucky stars you don’t live in Ireland because we don’t have a choice, it’s E10 or nothing. To be perfectly honest the Mark4 Yaris runs brilliantly on it, although I have nothing to compare it with. I might try and see if I can get a filling station in NI that sells E5 to see if I can see a difference.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

10 hours ago, Bernard Foy said:

Then count your lucky stars you don’t live in Ireland because we don’t have a choice, it’s E10 or nothing. To be perfectly honest the Mark4 Yaris runs brilliantly on it, although I have nothing to compare it with. I might try and see if I can get a filling station in NI that sells E5 to see if I can see a difference.

Depends how long you’ll keep the car.  E5 definitely quietens the engine down as it allows the knock sensor to advance the timing but as E5 in the U.K. is loaded with additives it preserves injectors and EGRs and GPFs etc.  You might be able to buy Millers or similar octane booster and detergent additive if you can’t get E5.  

• Like 4

Not bought E5 for any regular car yet and never will, its not required. All E10 petrol has all the necessaries in it to mee the relevant BSEN requirement, any extras may or may not do any good. Will keep using Tesco (or other supermarket E10 when we get the Yaris.

But our other car is a bit different. Its older (started life with leaded fuel) but has a modern engine that will happily run on 95 RON unleaded petrol and did so from 2008 to September 2022 when the percentage of Ethanol in 95 RON increased. But whilst the engine is E10 compliant some components in the fuel system possibly are not so in this case I use E5 to avoid having to chase every last bit of rubber that may fall apart with E10.

Does the engine run any better with E5 in it instead of the E10 used for 14 years, not one bit of difference and if there is any gain in MPG its about 1 mpg max according to my spreadsheet which in no way pays the extra 20 pence a litre it has cost me at some filling stations when Tesco and Morrison have been out of E5.

My wallet votes for E10.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, anchorman said:

Depends how long you’ll keep the car.  E5 definitely quietens the engine down as it allows the knock sensor to advance the timing but as E5 in the U.K. is loaded with additives it preserves injectors and EGRs and GPFs etc.  You might be able to buy Millers or similar octane booster and detergent additive if you can’t get E5.  

Not worth my while buying octane boosters as I never keep cars very long and I have another new one on order. But its an dea I never thought of.

• Like 5

Each to their own here as is in most other posts about fuels, tyres, etc anything that can be so slightly different and some owners find difference, some does not.
I can assure you that there is a difference between e5 and e10 especially in engine noise and performance in mid range, not fully loaded, and this is what makes one car pleasant or not so pleasant to drive.
With e5 premium the engine simply feels more alive, it is quieter in all rpm ranges , it turns on and off smother and acceleration is always that tiny bit better. I use between 60-100 litres a week mostly on e5 premium. Been using  cheap Tesco e5 but this comes with some unpleasant cold starts misfires in my car, but it drives much better than any e10. To stop these nasty cold starts been using lately mixture of e5 from bp and e10 from Shell which seems to be better than bp e10. At the moment I have full tank e10 from bp and the car is a bit noisy and not as responsive, however will top up e5 next fill up tomorrow and all will settle again. 
My latest holiday to Bulgaria where e10 is a standard across all petrol I can tell all cars has this growling engine sound and slightly less responsive, people simply get used to it and can’t find a difference, but I can and it’s obvious to me. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

On 12/7/2023 at 12:15 PM, TonyHSD said:

Each to their own here as is in most other posts about fuels, tyres, etc anything that can be so slightly different and some owners find difference, some does not.
I can assure you that there is a difference between e5 and e10 especially in engine noise and performance in mid range, not fully loaded, and this is what makes one car pleasant or not so pleasant to drive.
With e5 premium the engine simply feels more alive, it is quieter in all rpm ranges , it turns on and off smother and acceleration is always that tiny bit better. I use between 60-100 litres a week mostly on e5 premium. Been using  cheap Tesco e5 but this comes with some unpleasant cold starts misfires in my car, but it drives much better than any e10. To stop these nasty cold starts been using lately mixture of e5 from bp and e10 from shell which seems to be better than bp e10. At the moment I have full tank e10 from bp and the car is a bit noisy and not as responsive, however will top up e5 next fill up tomorrow and all will settle again. 
My latest holiday to Bulgaria where e10 is a standard across all petrol I can tell all cars has this growling engine sound and slightly less responsive, people simply get used to it and can’t find a difference, but I can and it’s obvious to me. 

Comedy gold !  Stop it please, my sides are about to burst. 🤣

• Confused 1

As I run two diesel cars they are not concerned with unleaded or ethanol. I can tell you that my little Honda motorbike hates it. All my bikes are old (> 40 years). The Japanese ones are fine with unleaded but the German ones are not. Neither are good with Ethanol because it attracts water and as the mileage is very low the water bungs up the carbs and rots the petrol tanks.

If I can be bothered I sometimes remove the Ethanol before putting it in the bike, particularly if I am not planning on using it for a while.

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

I sometimes remove the Ethanol

I'd be interested to know how you do that.

1 minute ago, bathtub tom said:

I'd be interested to know how you do that.

Put water in it. Do it with measured amounts and you will notice that there is more water in it than you added, if you use a transparent  container.

If you are brave (or desperate)you can drink what is left after you remove the petrol. 🙂

I would imagine that Google will give a better explanation than I can provide.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I think I understand. The water in the ethanol combines with the water you add?

I should imagine that would work with relatively small amounts of 100ml or so, but could be problematic with a large number of litres, unless you have sufficient equipment?

The ethanol combines with the water and is removed from the petrol.

I litre of pump petrol E10 is 0.9 litres of petrol + 0.1 litres of ethanol.

To get that 0.1 litres to be combined with water you need about 7% water so 0.07 litres.

More water does not matter but less water and you will leave ethanol with nothing to combine to.

When you add the 0.07 litres of water to the petrol, shake it and leave it for a while you will see that the 0.07 has turned into 0.17 litres because the ethanol is in there.

• Like 4

Here's a quick costing of buying petrol at 140p vs 150p but getting 5mpg better economy from the 150p petrol.

miles mpg gallons litres pence/litre total cost
1000 60 16.67 74.24 140 103.94
1000 65 15.38 68.53 150 102.80
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Anyone remember the stuff Shell sold back in the eighties?, it was supposed to benefit the engine, but I think it ruined quite a few…

28 minutes ago, Primus1 said:

Anyone remember the stuff shell sold back in the eighties?, it was supposed to benefit the engine, but I think it ruined quite a few…

Yep. I ran my Carina almost exclusively on Shell and got a new set of exhaust valves allegedly because of that.

2 hours ago, Primus1 said:

Anyone remember the stuff shell sold back in the eighties?, it was supposed to benefit the engine, but I think it ruined quite a few…

I had a problem after they put a tiger in my tank!

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links