Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Braking

wills777

Hello pls why is it that when I run 50mph on getting to step on my break in other to enter a pot hole gently the car moves as if someone is hitting me behind instead for the car to stop firmly but it feels a if someone is pushing me from the back 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wills777 said:

Hello pls why is it that when I run 50mph on getting to step on my break in other to enter a pot hole gently the car moves as if someone is hitting me behind instead for the car to stop firmly but it feels a if someone is pushing me from the back 

When I go through a pot hole it sometimes activates the ABS/ traction control light flashes on for a bit. This may be happening with your car?

• Like 3

Yes , 

these events are very Toyota and they happen because the car has two types of brakes, regenerative braking and hydraulic brakes as all other cars plus electronically controlled brake booster pump. 
So what happens when you hit the potholes or activate the abs pump, the car switching off the regenerative braking ( they are very powerful) and also limits the brake force created by the electric booster pump , the car is left on totally manual direct connection between brake pedal and actual brake discs/pads. All that for a fraction of the second, although it feels like you are losing the brakes all together. 
This could create an unpleasant and scary moments especially if you are going downhill as this doubles the brake loss feel. 
I learned to brake before or after potholes, which is also beneficial for the suspension, and if miss and hit a pothole and the car does that I just release brakes and press again. 👌 

• Like 2

Hi UDUAK, 

What you're describing sounds like the pulsing feedback that the ABS (antilock braking system) provides when it actuates on a slippery surfaces.

The best way that I can describe it is as a roughness or rumble in the brake pedal, usually it is accompanied by a matching (for lack of a better word) sound. There may also be a annunciator light in the instrument cluster that comes on when the ABS activates.

It is perfectly normal and serves as a warning that the car is on a slippery surface and that one or more of the wheels was getting less traction during braking. As you're probably suspecting by now, you don't feel it on a dry or even wet road because the system doesn't usually come on.:smile:

I

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links