Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Does the car connect to the Internet itself?

fred88

Bit of a numpty question maybe given that I've had the car over 9 months but I'm a bit confused on this.

I've setup a mobile hotspot on my phone which activates when it detects the cars bluetooth, then, as far as I'm aware, the car connects to the Internet through that mobile hotspot. But does the car media system have its own sim? And to what extent can I use that? For instance can I do a software or map update through it?

Appreciate this question might demonstrate that I've got all this round my neck, so any help appreciated. 

• Like 1

The car does have a SIM but it's in the eCall system which is effectively isolated from the infotainment unit.

I think that the infotainment unit only has Wi-Fi. Since you have a 2022 Corolla I believe that you should be able to update your maps via Wi-Fi (whether that's via your phone or your home LAN is irrelevant).

So the simple answer to your question is 'no' as far as I'm aware.

• Like 1

I am pretty sure my car has an active SIM that also works for the Media system to a degree. I use Amazon music and that does uses my phone data when connected by the Android Auto method. 

However I also listen to DAB via the car Media System, every now and again, especially driving in isolated areas such as North Wales and the Peak district I will lose DAB signal. The car automatically switches to internet radio, it will play Talk Sport for instance and the only reason I know its internet radio is because the adverts are American. 

I am pretty sure I have never hot spotted my phone to the car and my car has also done media updates over the air.

... and, without an active data connection, how would the remote control functions of the app work?

Screenshot_2023-12-15-17-44-39-87_3f89809a17d8c33af5fc42ac4dff733f.thumb.jpg.4c7885c1651cc2c68a31c80d568a4ce2.jpg

• Like 1

The car indeed has at least 2 SIM.   One for the eCall system and one car services.  That latter it the one that connects with the Toyota Server that allows exchange of data with the car and, via the App, with your phone.

The Smart Connect system also allows for map updates and dynamic data such as road works.

• Like 1

Well you learn something new every day. I assume that's for the 2022 and later models? My 2019 Corolla doesn't have any remote control features.

16 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

Well you learn something new every day. I assume that's for the 2022 and later models? My 2019 Corolla doesn't have any remote control features.

My 22 plate does not have the remote features that Extreme-One has posted above. It does have location, driving history/data and remote warnings. I left my car unlocked once and I had a notification telling me the doors were unlocked. It does have internet radio though so it must use the inbuilt SIM for that.

I think 23 plate has the new remote features added.

27 minutes ago, Chuffmonkey said:

My 22 plate does not have the remote features that Extreme-One has posted above. It does have location, driving history/data and remote warnings. I left my car unlocked once and I had a notification telling me the doors were unlocked. It does have internet radio though so it must use the inbuilt SIM for that.

I think 23 plate has the new remote features added.

Ditto, not noticed the internet radio though. I'll have a play!

The only thing my '19 claims to have is the ability to send navigation instructions from the app to the car. I tried it a couple of times in the early days but it never worked so I gave up on it.

Mine did (or used to - not used it for a while) get traffic and roadworks updates. However I was under the impression that came over the Traffic Message Channel.

So, on my 2022 model, is there any point connecting it to the internet through my phone?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links