Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Hybrid - Push Car - Without Engine Activation

Kojac

5A3232CB-AA38-413D-98BC-C5178C139D34.thumb.png.babb9e75a0861780f41403aea9f05454.png

I need to move my car off my neighbours driveway.

Neighbours are happy to push the car. 

The engine is not running well. The car is going in to a toyota garage next week (AA homestart).

But just for now:

How can I safely put the car in neutral to move it - WITHOUT - the engine turning over/starting. (Clearly some serious mechanical problem with the engine).

Neighbour wants it moved today.

Help. How?

I think (big disclaimer) you can do this by pressing the start button twice without pressing the brake pedal and then shift it to N (you may need to hold the shifter in the N position for a few seconds). This should free it up.

If you really don't want the engine to start, you could undo and lift up the COPs (spark plug connectors). However, it may still try to turn the engine over.

• Like 1

I would be grateful for the input of others. Does the above hold?

Does that procedure allow the car to be put in neutral, without the engine engaging?

It doesn't actually matter if the car is in neutral - As long as it's not in P, which sticks a pawl in to lock the transmission, and the parking brake is off, then you can push it.

Does the Auris hybrid have an interlock release to release the parking pawl? My hybrid has a little hatch next to the 'gear' selector you can dig out with a screwdriver, revealing a slot you can poke with said screwdriver which allows me to slide it out of P and release the parking pawl even when the car is completely off.

If the auris has something like that too, you can use that to release the pawl, then just release the handbrake and it should be moveable.

• Like 1

APS has explained the correct procedure and only available option. 
Car needs 12v power, double press start button without touching the brake pedal and then step on brake and pull gear shifter to the left and hold it, the car will beep and go into neutral N. Push the car and move it or loaded into truck and select P then turn off. That’s all. The parking P position is electronically operated only.

• Like 2

Ahh, so you do have to get it into 'neutral' with the Auris because of the electrical park interlock?

It's good that you can do that in the powered-on-more-than-aux-but-less-than-'Ready' mode (I don't even know what to call that on these cars; It would just be ignition position 2 on a key-ignition car! :laugh: )

That would be the best way then, as it guarantees the engine won't start - The most important part is to press the Start button WITHOUT touching the brakes!!

I just tried this on my MK2 auris and it doesn't work. It's possibly different on Tony's MK1? I think the only way is to put the car into one of it's service modes where the engine doesn't start, can't remember which one, invalid mode? (Same as when you bleed the brakes) Even then not sure if you can take it out of park. If the traction Battery has a good charge you could just start it in ev then you've got a fair amount of time before engine attempts to start

5 hours ago, Saxmaniac said:

I just tried this on my MK2 auris and it doesn't work. It's possibly different on Tony's MK1? I think the only way is to put the car into one of it's service modes where the engine doesn't start, can't remember which one, invalid mode? (Same as when you bleed the brakes) Even then not sure if you can take it out of park. If the traction battery has a good charge you could just start it in ev then you've got a fair amount of time before engine attempts to start

It will work,, all hybrids with drive by wire electronic gear shifter goes to N if you push and hold two seconds, only need 12v power, dabble press push start button without pressing on the brake pedal. 
If it didn’t worked in your case you either been pushed once start button, or did not hold the shifter long enough. Actual this is when the car makes beeping noise and remains in P , but if you hold the shifter longer it goes into N without these beeps. Perjury try again. 👍

• Like 2

Tried again as I would find this useful, definitely pressed start twice, no brake and just got message shifting unavailable, push brake pedal, (ie, start the car)

I think there must be different software in your car as it's older 

Ah, apologies. You're right, had another try, when in accessory mode, needed to press brake while moving gear selector. I'd missed the bit about pressing pedal!

• Like 2

That’s right, first no brake just double press start button and then step on brake and push and hold shifter to N 👍

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links