Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery life and check

AlD

Hi. Anyone suggest the lifespan of the big Battery and how /where I can get it tested? 

How would I know if it's losing efficiency?

Thanks, Alan

Lifspan of HV Battery you looking at 10 or 12 years.

Toyota or a independent garage can test it one specilising in electronic faults or you can go down the route of using Dr Prius app on a smartphone with a ODB-2 scan tool like Veepeak BLE or Carly is another ODB-2 scan tool.

Just dont plug or unplug them without all systems switched off IE. key out of ignition or at least turnd off.

IMG_0813.thumb.PNG.2c09865e8af3df65dec9ebcaeb4c6454.PNG   

Look at voltage Diff per set of two cells as it ages this will rise.

When the engine light comes on and it gives a Battery error code that when you have a problem.

You can have just a Battery serviced from your Toyota garage.

• Like 1

Your waranty can be extended upto 15 years

15 Year Extended Battery Warranty
In addition to your manufacturer warranty, your Toyota Hybrid Battery can benefit from an extended 12 month warranty for up to 15 years for every service at a Toyota dealer.

• Like 2

These 15 years warranty are interesting and I wonder if they apply to these gen 3 hybrids from 2010. Also are there any mileage restrictions too. I maybe call or visit my locat Toyota soon to find out more about it and perhaps may do a separate health check to see what will it show about my Battery and if pass will I get another 10k miles warranty. So far so good, the car drives fine and no faults. 

1 hour ago, Derek.w said:

15 Year waranty but it still 100,000 miles limitation.

But it doesn’t says on the website and in their terms and conditions page. 
Here it’s tricky , I don’t mind paying £50 quit for a health check alone and to get another 10k miles warranty but then if the Battery fail and they refuse to vouch the warranty because of the high miles it will be just money an time wasted. I dot need to do a checks other than getting added warranty. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

These 15 years warranty are interesting and I wonder if they apply to these gen 3 hybrids from 2010. Also are there any mileage restrictions too. I maybe call or visit my locat Toyota soon to find out more about it and perhaps may do a separate health check to see what will it show about my battery and if pass will I get another 10k miles warranty. So far so good, the car drives fine and no faults. 

I contacted Toyota about this just last week and was told, to my surprise, that the 15 year warranty period applies to any hybrid vehicle.

I suspect you’ll be out of luck on mileage grounds, unfortunately.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Derek.w said:

15 Year waranty but it still 100,000 miles limitation.

No, there is no mileage limit on the hybrid Battery extended warranty. See terms and conditions attached.

There is on Toyota Relax service generated extended warranty, which is a different extended warranty, and can provide warranty cover up to 10 years/100,000 miles.

2 hours ago, mcntosh said:

I contacted Toyota about this just last week and was told, to my surprise, that the 15 year warranty period applies to any hybrid vehicle.

Toyota will cover any Toyota hybrid, but not other makes - see terms and conditions.

Toyota Hybrid Battery Extended Cover Terms_tcm-3060-1563365.pdf

• Like 3

True. 
I am waiting for an email from Steven Eagell CS, meanwhile here two screen shots from Toyota uk website. Nowhere indeed they point anything about total mileage as restriction, only use of the car. 

9AFD9056-3653-4B50-B4DB-A72A44924B0C.png

EA73083C-8225-4D2F-8FC5-1085FA019C67.jpeg

• Like 1

OK I think I’m getting confused between the initial 5 yr / 100K warranty and the extended warranty, which renews annually up to 15 years but has no overall mileage limit.

Is there any reason you're worried about the traction Battery? There's other parts of the car in far more need of regular care for long life than the battery 

• Like 2

On 12/18/2023 at 9:15 PM, Derek.w said:

Lifspan of HV battery you looking at 10 or 12 years.

If that were true do you seriously think Toyota would offer a 15 year warranty !

54 minutes ago, Graham47 said:

If that were true do you seriously think Toyota would offer a 15 year warranty !

When I bought my 2014 Auris 5 years ago I’m pretty sure the Battery could have had its warranty extended up to 10 years. It says something that Toyota can now extend the warranty to 15 years. That has to be down to experience of how long the batteries actually last.

Edited by mcntosh
  • Like 3

I can tell that with all extra care taken and all maintained  and serviced by the book with age and mileage the 12v Battery and the hybrid Battery will be the first major things to go in any Toyota hybrid. The reason is the chemistry of the batteries and how batteries are made and work.
Any Battery in any device is ageing and with a time pass it will lose capacity and will eventually require replacement. 
I have my iPhone 12 since came into market autumn 2020 with average lifespan of the battery 500 full cycles , I did checked it two months ago and it had over 1390 cycles and full 3 years of use. Battery health at 81%. Apple will replace the battery when health drops to 80% or below. 
Let see what Toyota will say about my battery. And will it pass the health check alright. £50 quit for experiment, but only let them do it if they offer warranty if it’s pass, otherwise I a, saving those £50 towards new battery when time arrives. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links