Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Battery change

Soggyrolo

Hi All 

Need some advice please 

just replaced my auxiliary Battery on my auris Hybrid (2014) .I have replaced the Battery with a like for like Battery same model etc 

However they have put the drain tube hole on the other side of battery so now the tube is not long enough.Does anyone know if I can extend the tube if so any ideas where I can get the tube and joining bits from ? 
your help will be greatly appreciated as always 

regards 

TBH, from what I remember most people just didn't bother connecting the tube, although I think a few just used a bit of hose and jubilee clips to bodge them together.

Some batterys have a blanking plug thats on the wrong side and you just pull this out and push it in at the other end.

The other option is go with tubing and fitting to a pumatic air hose company or just measure its ID and OD  & gestimate the length then just google Pumatic tubing.

It's basically to vent any hydrogen that gets gassed from the Battery -Hydrogen only gets produced when e.g. the Battery is overcharged, but I can't imagine when this would even happen in the hybrids (If anything they have the opposite problem!).

Even if it happens, it's in such small quantities it'd dissipate fairly quickly.

They didn't even bother putting a vent tube into the new cars so I don't think it's very important.

• Like 3

Thank you all for your help on this matter ..the new Battery doesn’t have a blanking plug on one side ,as one of you suggested 

thanks once again 

On 12/28/2023 at 3:20 PM, Soggyrolo said:

Hi All 

Need some advice please 

just replaced my auxiliary battery on my auris Hybrid (2014) .I have replaced the battery with a like for like Battery same model etc 

However they have put the drain tube hole on the other side of battery so now the tube is not long enough.Does anyone know if I can extend the tube if so any ideas where I can get the tube and joining bits from ? 
your help will be greatly appreciated as always 

regards 

Typically, the 12V Yuasa AGM Battery last more than a decade if we drive regularly and more than 30 minutes trip each.  from my past experience with 2nd and 3rd gen Prius, there is nothing better than original Yuasa Battery in terms of reliability and safety.  Optima batteries, that cost almost the same price, does not last that long either.  I do not recommend cheap unsafe way with Wet-cells Battery that Bosch, Varta, Exide sold because it is not intended for inside cabin or trunk storage.  If it is inside the engine bay, wet cell battery is ok and actually much more cost-effective.

You can check Autodoc, sometimes they sell it for about €180 or less. Just wait a right time because the price fluctutate from €160-220 depends on the hour and day.  Very weird pricing. 

10 hours ago, AisinW said:

Typically, the 12V Yuasa AGM battery last more than a decade if we drive regularly and more than 30 minutes trip each.  from my past experience with 2nd and 3rd gen Prius, there is nothing better than original Yuasa battery in terms of reliability and safety.  Optima batteries, that cost almost the same price, does not last that long either.  I do not recommend cheap unsafe way with Wet-cells battery that Bosch, Varta, Exide sold because it is not intended for inside cabin or trunk storage.  If it is inside the engine bay, wet cell battery is ok and actually much more cost-effective.

You can check Autodoc, sometimes they sell it for about €180 or less. Just wait a right time because the price fluctutate from €160-220 depends on the hour and day.  Very weird pricing. 

It should be pointed out however that Toyota themselves now fit conventional 'wet' batteries even where it's located in the boot/trunk. The Corolla 2.0 hybrid comes with an OEM wet Battery in the boot for example, not an AGM.

• Like 3

Yup; I'm still surprised by that, as we all thought batteries inside the cabin had to be AGM for safety reasons, but apparently not! :eek: 

The Mk4 Yaris comes with the cheapest most low-tech type of lead acid Battery still made! :laugh: 

On the bright side, it does mean they're considerably cheaper to replace! :laugh: 

• Like 2

I wish its was a option on the MK4 to use a AGM but its not!.

• Like 1

I guess there wouldn't be anything preventing you fitting an AGM Battery if you wanted to? I did consider fitting an AGM Battery to my Corolla but nowhere had any of the correct size in stock when I needed one. 

• Like 2

That is one problem, the other is the charging setup - AGM, gel and flooded cells all have slightly different charging preferences in terms of voltage and float vs cyclic charging etc., and using the wrong charging method will shorten the life of the Battery.

It may be the omission of some sizes is deliberate to stop the wrong Battery type being used with the wrong cars...?

• Like 1

It is true that the newer hybrid cars use a regular wet Battery and coincidentally with Battery drain issue. 

AGM charging cycle cutoff is usually at a higher voltage, about 13-13.4V meanwhile wet cell is about 12.8-13V. It is just a rough estimate. Overcharging can cause hydrolysis and reduce the Battery capacity. 

I think the newer yaris has stronger battery clading in case of side impact collision and Corolla stored the HV battery under the rear seats unlike older Prius iii. Auris inherited Prius 3 with AGM battery charging setup. So, Toyota proceeds with what works before. 

I hypothetically can say, Auris should be fine with the wet cell battery but the longevity will not be the same as the original AGM Yuasa. Even if it is 1/3 lifetime, the cost of wet cell is 1/4 of the AGM. It annoys me a lot that Yuasa sells it for 200€, more than 70Ah, 760 CCA AGM from Bosch/Varta for Diesel VW Transporter.  

• Like 1

I am sure the AGM Battery you suppose to recharge it when voltage is down to 80% full as against EFB 50% charge.

I managed to find the only one in my city like for like replacement for £165 ..

that hurt ! 
I need some help with bulbs next but I will start another thread for that 

thank you to all for your help 

regards 

On 1/4/2024 at 10:43 PM, Derek.w said:

I am sure the AGM battery you suppose to recharge it when voltage is down to 80% full as against EFB 50% charge.

Acid Lead Battery should be always charge up or kept at 100% whenever possible to keep it healthy. Below 80% charge, sulphation starts and below 50% permanent sulphation degrade the capacity dramatically.  That's why we do trickle charging to maintain the Battery in the store or storages. That's why I always bring Voltmeter when buying a new Lead Battery and also check the manufacturing date. If It is less than 12.6V, I refuse to pay it. 

Li ion battery and NiMh battery have opposite properties from Pb-PbO SO4 battery. They do not like to be fully charge because degradation of the anode.

All batteries are not supposed to be fully depleted because degradation of the cathode. 

• Like 2

My Auris is used daily, and 12 volt Battery died on me at the weekend, had to cal AA, as I was out. The Battery is almost 8 years old and needs replacing. I had a look online, and I can get a Toyota or the actual Yuasa Battery for £150. Or it can be installed by Toyota for £165 and they will dispose the old battery. So I booked it in later in the week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links