Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Choosing between 2019 vs 2020

Pinocent

I'm looking at getting a used 2L Corolla. 

Are there any big differences or anything to look out for when choosing between the 2019 and 2020 models, apart from the year. 

The two cars are priced at the same mark (£17.5k). The differences between the 2 cars is: 2019 version has a sunroof and 18k miles. 2020 version has no sunroof and 35k miles. They are both design trims and both have CarPlay.

Thanks.

I'd say it's a no brainer. 2019. I have the same one with the same specs. Less miles too

• Like 2

Am not familiar with corolla spec, though a quick browse brings up many cheaper though higher miles.

This one is good with 10k miles more. Price is coming down better than before, though not enough.

Screenshot_2023-12-29-19-15-14-354_com.android.chrome.thumb.jpg.070113f9408a6b1ad40709632508b9ad.jpg

• Like 1

Any of these will do it. 
2021-2022 has some known issues like rusty hatch hinges , infotainment update stuck, some suspension noises and knocking but ok in general. My personal choice will be a 2019 excel, fir the good seats , rear vents and best headlights. 

• Like 2

A later 2020 has a slightly better infotainment with Apple car play / android auto. Design spec has different wheels, blue interior lighting and different seats. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Gray86 said:

A later 2020 has a slightly better infotainment with Apple car play / android auto.

The OP has said that both cars have Carplay, so presumably the AA/CP retrofit has been installed on the earlier car.

• Like 3

Why don't you look at a brand new one 1.8L from Carwaw - PCP deal

I recently wrote in another topic I was against brand new cars, but the PCP have changed my mind.... 

I need a car for approx 20k commuting miles per year. I used to buy 3-4 years old car when they were cheaper with 70ish k miles, keep it for another 3-4 years, put another 80ish k miles than sell it for little money, just before any expensive maintenance issues come up. Use the money as a deposit and do the same thing again, always taking a bank loan for the variance. If it costs £17.5k let's say £2k deposit it will be a monthly payment of £390ish for 42 months

The PCP works pretty much the same as the above....Will (probably) keep and pay the car over 7-8 years - half with the PCP, 2nd half with a bank loan until I pay it off. In 8 years it will have approx 160k miles on the clock, but it will be 1 owner vehicle, and I am planning to keep servicing it with Toyota, so hopefully it will still have a good value. 

• Like 1

2019 pre-covid makes have imo better quality. 

• Like 1

I had a 2.0 TS Design (Jan 2020 69 Plate) from new and I can honestly say it was a superb drive with no problems what so ever. 3 1/2 years of sheer bliss.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Tomv said:

2019 pre-covid makes have imo better quality. 

That was my point too. 
All the issues were not on the very first made but particularly  middle 2020-middle 2022 models. 

Thanks everyone for your replies! I'll have a think about it over the New Years while the dealers are closed and hopefully go for one on Tuesday! (I think the winner is the 2019 with the sunroof and lower milage, but I'm going to take a deeper search on Autotrader/Toyota used/other websites, to see if there's anything out there I've missed). 

19 hours ago, Niky said:

Why don't you look at a brand new one 1.8L from Carwaw - PCP deal

I recently wrote in another topic I was against brand new cars, but the PCP have changed my mind.... 

I need a car for approx 20k commuting miles per year. I used to buy 3-4 years old car when they were cheaper with 70ish k miles, keep it for another 3-4 years, put another 80ish k miles than sell it for little money, just before any expensive maintenance issues come up. Use the money as a deposit and do the same thing again, always taking a bank loan for the variance. If it costs £17.5k let's say £2k deposit it will be a monthly payment of £390ish for 42 months

The PCP works pretty much the same as the above....Will (probably) keep and pay the car over 7-8 years - half with the PCP, 2nd half with a bank loan until I pay it off. In 8 years it will have approx 160k miles on the clock, but it will be 1 owner vehicle, and I am planning to keep servicing it with Toyota, so hopefully it will still have a good value. 

I appreciate your PCP idea, in the current market it is a worthwhile consideration long term, but payments of £390 a month and an overall cost of £35k+(?) is quite high! 

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links