Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Locked out

TonyFR

Curious experience: went to use the car (2021 RAV4 PHEV), and take out the charging cable (first!); the key wouldn't unlock the car (although it flashed briefly as usual) and of course the cable remained locked in place.  Thought it might be the key Battery so tried the spare key, with same result. Unusable car. Then consulted the MyT app which assured me that "Everything is fine". Tried to Start Climate with MyT just to see what happened. MyT told me it couldn't do it as one of the doors was unlocked. All the doors were locked - I walked round and checked.Then unlocked the driver door with the manual key (not done that before but it worked as advertised). Removed cable. Started the car, no problems. Got out and locked and unlocked repeatedly with the key. All normal. Can anyone suggest why I was locked out in the first place?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Hmmmm had a similar problem last year with my GR 2l Sports and eventually discovered it was to do with a faulty Battery. I kept having locking and unlocking problems until RAC replaced my Battery. The recovery RAC man said it was a common problem with Toyotas in general and all it takes is one doggy cell in the Battery and he then showed me the back of the van which stuffed to the ceiling with faulty  batteries. I did have some initial signs from the off such as general sluggishness in car response etc and after the battery was replaced it was akin to driving a completely different vehicle basically all sluggishness vanished.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It happened  because of a low 12v Battery. Best to fully recharge with a smart charger or keep the car in ready mode for 1 hr on your drive. You can lock with the manual key while car is ON but good to keep an eye on it. 
Regards 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

54 minutes ago, TonyFR said:

Curious experience: went to use the car (2021 RAV4 PHEV), and take out the charging cable (first!); the key wouldn't unlock the car (although it flashed briefly as usual) and of course the cable remained locked in place.  Thought it might be the key battery so tried the spare key, with same result. Unusable car. Then consulted the MyT app which assured me that "Everything is fine". Tried to Start Climate with MyT just to see what happened. MyT told me it couldn't do it as one of the doors was unlocked. All the doors were locked - I walked round and checked.Then unlocked the driver door with the manual key (not done that before but it worked as advertised). Removed cable. Started the car, no problems. Got out and locked and unlocked repeatedly with the key. All normal. Can anyone suggest why I was locked out in the first place?

Definitely low 12V. I had all kinds of weirdness. DCM module software update fixed it all. Draining current unnecessarily.

Check for sources of current drain and try to drive it more than once D ery 2 weeks for more than a half hour?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the replies. My car gets driven very regularly. The day before this happened for instance it went on a 60km trip including some motorway. But it had been 6 days before that in a chilly underground airport car park while we were away so it may have discharged then, but why? The 12v Battery is frankly a major weakness on this car (I was going to write "curse"). And the software seems to give no low 12v Battery warning (on MyT for example) even though the car will warn about a low key Battery.

I'm not sure I've had the DCM update (here in France) but I'll ask my dealer next week. It  had annual service in September.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, TonyFR said:

Thanks for the replies. My car gets driven very regularly. The day before this happened for instance it went on a 60km trip including some motorway. But it had been 6 days before that in a chilly underground airport car park while we were away so it may have discharged then, but why? The 12v battery is frankly a major weakness on this car (I was going to write "curse"). And the software seems to give no low 12v battery warning (on MyT for example) even though the car will warn about a low key battery.

I'm not sure I've had the DCM update (here in France) but I'll ask my dealer next week. It  had annual service in September.

Definitely check for that. Ensure all subsystems software is up to date. Now I can hardly drive my car and leave it for 3 weeks and it starts no problem. Previously I could drive a 200 mile trip 3 times a week and it still failed to start a day after.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

40 minutes ago, TonyFR said:

Thanks for the replies. My car gets driven very regularly. The day before this happened for instance it went on a 60km trip including some motorway. But it had been 6 days before that in a chilly underground airport car park while we were away so it may have discharged then, but why? The 12v battery is frankly a major weakness on this car (I was going to write "curse"). And the software seems to give no low 12v battery warning (on MyT for example) even though the car will warn about a low key battery.

I agree that the Toyota app is really poor, based on the many problems across all of the Toyota models with 12v Battery condition decline you would think it fairly easy to enable sending a warning message to the owner via the App

Indeed with the MercedesMe app a warning was sent by both text and email when my C class diesel had a decreasing voltage on the 12v Battery during lockdown 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

The Toyota app is naff really and needs a lot of work. It should be  user friendly from the off. Here is an example I lost my Toyota App remote services and to get it back up again I have to go through a number of procedures again after being told that Toyota have now connected and retrieved my original journey records etc.🙄

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 12/30/2023 at 6:42 PM, TonyFR said:

Nyfiken erfarenhet: gick för att använda bilen (2021 RAV4 PHEV), och tog ut laddningskabeln (först!); nyckeln låste inte upp bilen (även om den blinkade kort som vanligt) och kabeln förblev naturligtvis låst på plats. Trodde det kunde vara nyckelbatteriet så provade reservnyckeln, med samma resultat. Oanvändbar bil. Konsulterade sedan MyT-appen som försäkrade mig om att "Allt är bra". Försökte starta klimat med MyT bara för att se vad som hände. MyT sa till mig att det inte kunde göra det eftersom en av dörrarna var olåst. Alla dörrar var låsta - jag gick runt och kollade. Sedan låste upp förardörren med den manuella nyckeln (inte gjort det tidigare men det fungerade som annonserat). Borttagen kabel. Startade bilen, inga problem. Kom ut och låste och låste upp upprepade gånger med nyckeln. Allt normalt. Kan någon tipsa om varför jag blev utelåst från början?

This happends to our RAV 4 PHEV 2020 to day.

Unlocked with the manual key and... every thing seems to function as usual.

Havent experienced any problem at all since that malfunction. 

Have driven about 20 km without any problems.

We have driven our car about (totally for two years)60% average in EV mode but we drive about 70 km every week on HV /ICE mode so I guess that would keep the 12V Battery charged .

And Im pretty sure that our car has got the DCM update .

We use to preclimate without cord connection qutie often and I think that will charge the 12V Battery, too

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links