Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Where can you buy a driveshaft?

mushrooom

Looked in the local motor factors and no-one seems to stock them. Seen some on eBay, but would like to source quickly and not wait for postage etc.

Ours snapped yesterday 40 miles from home

PXL_20231231_145644787.PORTRAIT.jpg

Hi, 

the only driveshaft you ever want to use in any Toyota car is original Toyota part. Used one from lower mileage examples are your best options. 
Just search eBay for Auris hybrid breaking for spares and request a price and availability. Anything aftermarket you put you will regret afterwards. 
Good luck

Have you used the aftermarket ones before? Just curious  

2 hours ago, mushrooom said:

I personally haven’t used aftermarket ones on any car but many did and been a total disaster, especially those cheap brands. Plenty of YouTube videos and forums sharing.
An used one original is much better option.. I knew that and only ever needed to change an axle on one car, bought used from eBay, same car, same specs,  , just put in , topped up oil and went great. The major problem with aftermarket axles is vibrations. 

8 hours ago, mushrooom said:

Avoid aftermarket drafthsaft. Just get a used draftshaft. If you do routine inspection, check for any torn boot, replace just the boot if youfind one.  Threre is an obvious reason why oriignal drivshaft cost close to £800 meanwhile aftermarket are often less than £150.

• Like 1

On 1/1/2024 at 11:02 PM, TonyHSD said:

I personally haven’t used aftermarket ones on any car but many did and been a total disaster, especially those cheap brands. Plenty of YouTube videos and forums sharing.
An used one original is much better option.. I knew that and only ever needed to change an axle on one car, bought used from eBay, same car, same specs,  , just put in , topped up oil and went great. The major problem with aftermarket axles is vibrations. 

How would you know if the used one isn't a genuine one ? They might have replaced it with an aftermarket one

I'm taking my chances with a borg and beck one from eBay

I've only ever used aftermarket CV joints in all my cars for the last 40 years and not had a problem before 

I've started to pull the old driveshaft out and the fluid started coming out the seal in the gearbox.

Are you supposed to fit a new seal when you fit the new driveshaft and which ATF do you use to refill it ?

On 1/3/2024 at 10:09 PM, mushrooom said:

I've started to pull the old driveshaft out and the fluid started coming out the seal in the gearbox.

Are you supposed to fit a new seal when you fit the new driveshaft and which ATF do you use to refill it ?

Yes you can put a new driveshaft seals in transmission but not sure how hard it is. You will need a good tools to remove and install seals.  But leaks a bit is normal when we remove driveshaft. 

The ATF is the same  Toyota WS or Dexron VI fluids. They are similar class and viscosity.

11 hours ago, AisinW said:

Yes you can put a new driveshaft seals in transmission but not sure how hard it is. You will need a good tools to remove and install seals.  But leaks a bit is normal when we remove driveshaft. 

The ATF is the same  Toyota WS or Dexron VI fluids. They are similar class and viscosity.

Thanks it was pretty easy to fit the seal, used silicone lubricant on the seal and in the transmission. Got the seal started then drifted it in with a 60mm socket and extension bar. Got the car level and filled with Toyota WS and a 500ml syringe

Car is back on the road now   

• Like 2

How much mileage has the car done?

Whats the engine gearbox on the car?

On 1/7/2024 at 6:39 AM, solero said:

How much mileage has the car done?

Whats the engine gearbox on the car?

302,000 miles, it's a hybrid 

1 hour ago, mushrooom said:

302,000 miles, it's a hybrid 

Acceptable wear n tear 😀

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/9/2024 at 4:26 PM, solero said:

Acceptable wear n tear 😀

Actually not. If the boots are cracked or broken, just replace the boots and it will be good for another 1 Mio miles. But if it is too late and the bearing is contaminated with water and sands, it will go bad.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to add, mileage is now up to 307,000 and driveshaft has been fine, no transmission leaks

No horror stories from using an aftermarket driveshaft either

• Like 3

Companies TRISCAN, NTN are made quality aftermarket products.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links