Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris Radio & Screen problem

Johnel

The radio in my 2013 Auris (non-hybrid) is a touch screen unit with a CD player as shown in the photo. No sat-nav was factory fitted.

When I bought the car the touch screen was not working despite it being neither chipped nor cracked. When the radio was switched on it was on FM and I could change stations normally either through the push buttons on the unit or the ones on the steering wheel without any problems. That was fine with me as I could get everything I wanted.

However when I was driving this week with the radio on FM it suddenly changed channel of its own accord blasting out music from an unknown source. When I glanced at the radio screen it said DAB rather than FM and as I tried to change the channels hoping it might get back into FM mode each one came up saying ‘no DAB signal’. Then for some mysterious reason it started to pick up test transmissions on DAB for a new local station (in the photo) and this is the only one it can now offer.

Having studied the radio instruction book it appears that any changes/additions/adjustments to this set can only be done via the touch screen – which obviously is not working - and if I press the ‘Reset’ button nothing happens. BTW, the ‘Car’ button does display the info on screen at the end of a journey.

All I really want to do at this stage is get back to FM radio, so hopefully someone can give me some clues as to how I might be able to do this or maybe reset the radio allowing for the screen not working. Perhaps I should also add that no electrical ‘mods’ have ever been made to this car, everything is still as factory spec and the antenna (mast type) is not damaged.

Auris DAB #1.jpg

Do you have a spinny circle button on your steering wheel to cycle through the input sources?

Johnel, have you tried to cut the power for, let's say, 15 minutes?

I'd unplug all the radio connectors on the back, instead of the Battery.

Solero - not sure about a 'spinney circle button', but I have the left and right sets of buttons on the steering wheel and the volume ones work OK.

Thanks koji for the tip on powering off. I'm a bit hesitant at removing the trim and taking the radio out to unplug at this stage, but if this is not a naïve question, would removing the radio fuse for a while interrupt the power source?

Sorry for delay in replying to you both - connection problems! 

Try pressing the screen using the magnetic stripe of a credit card.

• 2 weeks later...

After some rapid and repeated pressings of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel the radio suddenly shot back into FM mode, so I'm happy again as that's what I want.

Solero, I have tried the credit card trick - with various cards - but it sadly didn't work.  Although I can use the radio minus the touch screen, I'm now going to seek a repairer who may be able to fit a replacement screen or check the wiring to it as it appears to have no cracks or damage.

1 hour ago, Johnel said:

After some rapid and repeated pressings of the buttons on the left side of the steering wheel the radio suddenly shot back into FM mode, so I'm happy again as that's what I want.

Solero, I have tried the credit card trick - with various cards - but it sadly didn't work.  Although I can use the radio minus the touch screen, I'm now going to seek a repairer who may be able to fit a replacement screen or check the wiring to it as it appears to have no cracks or damage.

If you have a mode button on the left side of the steering wheel, that changes bands and input sources. If thats flaky, then it will likely be your spiral clock cable which is bad (connects steering controls and airbag wires across swivel part of column).

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links