Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Carina II, 1987, blown head gasket

Sean Watson

Head gasket has blown on my 87 Carina II (4AC engine I think). I haven't taken the head off yet, but am wondering whether there may be coolant corrosion in the aluminium head. Are they prone to this? If so what is the usual repair, other than a replacement head?

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Sean, 

It would be impossible to assess the failure mode without stripping the head off. It could be a warped head, blow gasket or a cracked block to name a few. I have a 4efe with an alloy head and noticed no issues with coolant corrosion or discoloration and i've had the same coolant in her for near 80k now. Generally with them engines, it's as simple as a blown gasket. 

Anyway a blown head never goes away so get the sockets out and start stripping her. If she's cracked, it's not all bad as i'm sure a good breakers yard would have a few of the 4A blocks knocking around. Maybe drop a 4age? 😉.

Best of luck anyway!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links