Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Rav 4 D4D won't start when hot

alpacaman

Hi all, 

I have a Rav 4 2.0 D4D 2004 that has recently started to not restart when hot, the engine spins over but will not catch, I have changed both SCV's but to no avail but it will restart after about 30 mins, very strange and mystifying.

Any help would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance.

Thanks Bob,

I have found the relevant posts so will sit down with a cuppa and go through them, hope fully find a solution.

Thanks again Bob.

You'll see I've posted a few times on this and in my experience the earth connection is the cause. 

I'd normally suggest cleaning the contacts but I have a feeling the cables themselves may deteriorate as my car was good for a few years but the problem started to reoccur so I recently added a new earth cable from the Battery to the engine block (in ddition to leaving the old ones) and it's better than ever.

Good luck

• Like 1

That's what I thought I remembered. And if nothing else, it's a cheap and simple thing to try before you try anything else more expensive ...

Thanks John, will give all the connections a good clean up.

I've cleaned all connections I can find but still no difference but while looking around I noticed the electrical connector to some kind of valve in the top of the fuel filter housing. I took it apart and carefully went through it, it is clearly not a diesel heater but some kind of valve, does anyone know exactly what this does and could it be something to do with the not starting from hot issue I have and I cannot find any reference to it anywhere.

Thanks.

Have you checked you crankshaft position sensor?

No I haven't but surely that would effect the starting in all temperatures, this turns over fine whether hot or cold but will not restart after a reasonable run when switched off but will not restart for about 35 mins, leave longer and it restarts again fine, very mysterious.

Sorry to hear cleaning the earth's didn't help, although I note you say the engine spins over so my apologies that is a slightly different problem to the one I thought you had but still a job well worth doing so nothing lost.

You could try giving the priming pump under the bonnet a few pumps when the engine is hot and see if putting a little more pressure into the fuel lines helps... if it does it may point to a fuel pump problem. I think this may even be the little black valve you are asking about.

You can also unplug the MAF sensor on the air intake, this might put the EML on but the engine will run fine, I'm not convinced it's this but there's no harm in trying.

Do you know what engine it has?

There is a known hot-start problem with 2.0L D4Ds that use the 1CD-FTV engine, which is caused by the starter motor. The official fix is to replace it with a revised unit, although some members refurbished it themselves and seemed to have sorted it.

Hi, thanks for your input but turning over is not the problem, the engine spins over fine it just won't restart from hot if you turn it off even for a few minutes it just will not start again for at least 1/2 hour. What I have found in my investigations is that the primary lift pump in the fuel tank is not working but it seems that they are no longer available ??? so the engine relies on sucking the fuel with the high pressure pump, this it obviously manages ok because it always starts from cold no problem, any one got a manual for one of these and a link to a new fuel pump would be much appreciated. 

Thanks.

On 1/17/2024 at 8:40 PM, RAV4-D4D said:

Sorry to hear cleaning the earth's didn't help, although I note you say the engine spins over so my apologies that is a slightly different problem to the one I thought you had but still a job well worth doing so nothing lost.

You could try giving the priming pump under the bonnet a few pumps when the engine is hot and see if putting a little more pressure into the fuel lines helps... if it does it may point to a fuel pump problem. I think this may even be the little black valve you are asking about.

You can also unplug the MAF sensor on the air intake, this might put the EML on but the engine will run fine, I'm not convinced it's this but there's no harm in trying.

I took the manual pump apart the other day, this strange valve sits just to the right of the black priming button (which works fine), this valve has two wires going to it, one is earth which is connected via one of the two screws that hold the steel domed cover on to the valve and the other goes inside and connects to some kind of brass piece with a small brass jet screwed into the centre, there is a conical spring beneath this that sits on top of a series of copper washes and spacer, no idea what this is or what it is supposed to do, any ideas, also found the primary fuel pump is also not working in the fuel tank but one of the four wires going to it is live with the ignition on, but can't find any replacement.

Any other ideas are most welcome, 

Thanks.

I don't think the D4Ds have a fuel pump in the tank - Mine didn't.

My brother had a Corolla 2.0 D4D and he had a hot start problem, to the point he would get stuck in the fuel station and had to push it out the way until it cooled down. Assumed it was the Battery, changed it, worked okay for a bit but didn't take long before it started failing again. Mechanics checked fuel, injectors, sensors, all seemed okay. Turned out it was the starter motor, which nobody thought to check because the car seemed like it was turning over okay. I only suggested it to him because someone posted a TSB on here describing the exact problem, albeit for the Corolla Verso and Avensis and not the Corolla, but they all use the same engine so I figured it was likely the same issue.

Cheers for that.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links