Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

PHEV SERVICE MILEAGE +/- TOLERANCE?

Flatcoat

Is there a max/min mileage tolerance for the 10,000 mile service intervals? My next service mileage marker will probably drop just before end of March at 30,000 miles. The relatively low mileage intervals are a pain having had years of VW’s with variable service intervals such I was used to circa 20,000 miles at a time (I did have an intermediate oil change only service, albeit not officially required). 

• Like 1

I don't believe that there is any tolerance as such - it's 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes first. I doubt that the world would end if you were to wait until the 'event' comes due before booking the service, but, technically, your warranty would become 'void' ...

• Like 2

These are the terms of Toyota warranty 12 months or 10,000 miles whichever comes sooner. The reason for this is to ensure the vehicle is maintained in accordance with the service schedules.Providing the vehicle has been booked in at the required schedule period and for arguments sake you go over the 10000 miles or 12 months and this is due to slight booking delays from the dealer this shouldn't be an issue.

This is also the case if you only did very low mileage a year they will still carry out the service requirements in accordance with the Toyota maintenance schedule and change the oil etc etc whether you may consider it to be necessary or not.😄

• Like 1

One of the service agents at my dealer said they normally allow up to 2 weeks or 500 miles lee way, but when I asked cr@toyota.co.uk they essentially said if I'm even 1 cm or 1 second over 10,000 miles/1 year they will void the factory warranty. :crybaby:  

I asked because I do more than 10k miles a year and was wondering how much I could push it, but now I just service the car twice a year/roughly every 7k miles... :fear: 

I suppose I'd still have the Relax warranty at least...

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Cyker said:

One of the service agents at my dealer said they normally allow up to 2 weeks or 500 miles lee way, but when I asked cr@toyota.co.uk they essentially said if I'm even 1 cm or 1 second over 10,000 miles/1 year they will void the factory warranty. :crybaby:  

I asked because I do more than 10k miles a year and was wondering how much I could push it, but now I just service the car twice a year/roughly every 7k miles... :fear: 

I suppose I'd still have the Relax warranty at least...

They would say that wouldn’t they! However I am similar to you, 10k miles comes up every 8-9 months or so. The short intervals are no doubt what help contribute to the longevity of the cars and especially the oily bits but I am surprised in this day and age Toyota cannot accept 12 or even 14k service mileages. 

• Like 2

It doesn't really matter about service intervals because what is good for you may not suit others. 

I am not a fan of extended service intervals like VW as there could be a cost to pay in later life. The 10k is probably a good time for a HEV/PHEV because of it's unique running habits because of the possibility of the break down of the oil, although with fully synthetic you would think this not to be such an issue.

As for going over the service intervals I would definitely say it's a no no, as like insurance companies are good at get out clauses I see no reason for Toyota to be any different and it could be used against you if an expensive warranty claim occurs. 

I was always taught to look at oil is a cheap spanner.

• Like 2

And my dealer said 1 month/1,000 miles. 

Like Cyker, if you are a high mileage user, or just a high mileage in the service period, that matters.

Remember,  it is not just you that is time limited,  your garage is too.

• Like 2

So what happens if a car goes over the 12 months service and Toyota then decided to void the warranty. Do you still continue to get it serviced with a Toyota dealer with no incentive of warranty or will they reinstate this the next year if you take it in as per the maintenance schedule.

What is the situation if a dealer buys a Toyota that has had the warranty void due to a similar problem or the car was previously serviced by a non Toyota dealer. Do they then sell the car with the 10 year warranty in place which therefore bypasses the original void warranty.:huh:

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Bper said:

So what happens if a car goes over the 12 months service and Toyota then decided to void the warranty. Do you still continue to get it serviced with a Toyota dealer with no incentive of warranty or will they reinstate this the next year if you take it in as per the maintenance schedule.

What is the situation if a dealer buys a Toyota that has had the warranty void due to a similar problem or the car was previously serviced by a non Toyota dealer. Do they then sell the car with the 10 year warranty in place which therefore bypasses the original void warranty.:huh:

The service record will show exactly when and at what mileage the car was serviced. If a fault arises that would normally be covered under 'warranty', Toyota may or may not choose to pay for the repair - that would be entirely up to Toyota and/or the relevant insurance company. One would hope that common sense and reasonableness would prevail.

There is no 10-year warranty - rather there is a twelve-month warranty applying from the date of the most recent Toyota approved service that may repeat for up to 10 years or 100,000 miles. So, an approved used car, for example, would be covered by the Relax warranty more or less irrespective of the previous service history ...

• Like 2

How about the first oil change and service of the vehicle?

Some people say do an oil change after the first 1,000 miles and then stick to 5,000 mile service intervals? 5,000 miles seems a little too frequent.

Personally (for the PHEV) I was thinking of doing an oil change after the first 1,000 miles and then a service every 7,000 miles or so (I will likely do 12,000 miles a year or so). That will avoid 1 year/10,000 miles warranty woes caused by busy garages etc. and likely be better for the engine running on newer oil.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Doubletalkjive said:

How about the first oil change and service of the vehicle?

Some people say do an oil change after the first 1,000 miles and then stick to 5,000 mile service intervals? 5,000 miles seems a little too frequent.

Personally (for the PHEV) I was thinking of doing an oil change after the first 1,000 miles and then a service every 7,000 miles or so (I will likely do 12,000 miles a year or so). That will avoid 1 year/10,000 miles warranty woes caused by busy garages etc. and likely be better for the engine running on newer oil.

But the PHEV engine is running only part of the time anyway ...

I've stuck as exactly as I can to the Toyota specified service schedule - 10,000 miles or 12 months whichever comes first. There's no need for a 'running in' oil change on modern engines so it's no longer specified or required. Modern synthetic oils are pretty good and will last at least 10,000 miles. And if you stick to the specified service schedule - no more and no less - the engine is warranted for 10 years or 100,000 miles etc. etc. so there's little point is wasting money on additional services / oil changes ...

... but each to his own! 😉

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, philip42h said:

But the PHEV engine is running only part of the time anyway ...

If we could forget about oil dilution, it would be a solid case. From my personal experience, if you don't do motorways, the oil after 10000 miles is just fit for the bin.

• Like 2

Thanks, I am convinced. Daily oil change it is 😂

I do plenty of motorway trips and some town. Think I will stick to 7000 miles or so with an early 1st change. I tend to do things 'last minute' and this will at least prevent warranty validity issues!

• Like 2

VTS on VAG group was a con for fleet drivers that required VW group to develop a whole new oil standard. If you asked any taxi driver, they usually ran fixed time/distance as it was the better option and they’d know. I tried VTS on my Golf, MK5 Altea XL, Octavia MK2 and one of the Fabia’s, all did 90 miles a day with 66 of that being nice easy motorway cruising, never saw 20K intervals or anything close. I did see way higher servicing costs and repair bills than running much less economical (on paper) RAV’s and all moved to time/distance but with the higher spec oil as ironically the own brand stuff was stupidly cheap from TPS with a trade account.

In terms of Toyota’s intervals, just stick to what’s published and you should have few issues, if you do, it’s covered. Going over means they have a right to refuse a claim which won’t do you any favours. I’ve always found Toyota to be quite good on the good will front for premature failures outside of warranty,  it that was back in the 3 year warranty days.

• Like 2

It’s never good to give the dealer any possible reason to wriggle out of a warranty claim. Try to hit the time or distance whatever is sooner as much as possible. 

• Like 3

6 hours ago, Roy124 said:

And my dealer said 1 month/1,000 miles. 

Like Cyker, if you are a high mileage user, or just a high mileage in the service period, that matters.

Remember,  it is not just you that is time limited,  your garage is too.

I was told the same by a few dealers, and it was written in the service book for my Prius MK2. There was a post a while back from Toyota technician here, explaining that new car warranty has 1 month/1,000 miles tolerance, but relax warranty does not.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links