Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Farewell!

SB1500

Hello all, this is my farewell post as today I have bought another car and in one week, I will no longer be an Avensis owner. It's been just over two years nearly to the day (7th Jan 2022) since I collected the Avensis. 

I came here seeking advice as originally I was looking for a diesel / 1.2 Auris and had reserved one from a dealer in NI.. they were unable to tell me when it would be ready due to Christmas - saying even mid January.  I ended up looking elsewhere... sold my old car to WBAC at the time for around what I paid for it (crazy times) and was in a bit of a pinch to find something. I went to look at a white Auris Design which was quite messy inside and not in the best shape. The same yard had my Avensis, £12k, which I never considered but I was won over by the prospect of having - A Toyota, - a large car that'll be comfortable and it was right in my price range. I went for that, committed to buy it and that's where I got involved in this community. 

I didn't set out to get the Avensis, but I bought it. And in some ways, that's part of why I'm moving on. Frankly, the size is amazing on long trips with a full car, I love how the saloon looks and the space. Driving it isn't that bad apart from small car park spaces, though I've enjoyed the challenge of squeezing it in to some spaces.

I knew about the BMW engine and I should have avoided it - I was warned on here on the Auris side, and a quick Google search is also enough to scare buyers. But I ignorantly went for it, thinking it would be fine - "1.6 will be economical even if it's slow", well unfortunately that's just not been the case. I'm getting around 42mpg these days and at best could keep it around 45mpg in the summer. I put up with this as mid 2022 we saw sky rocketed fuel prices. Things are at least back down to earth now.. and it's become apparent that the Avensis is costing a fortune to run.  And at that, no performance, awkward gear shifts and really having to thrash it to get it to move as it needs to move on dual carriageways with roundabouts etc.  It's - at times - not that fun or relaxing to drive. No, I don't mean fun as in silly motoring journalist fun, but more unavoidable to get the gearbox to comply when trying to retain the smooth, graceful experience it gives when driving straight or at a steady speed - it's a great driving car, but the lack of power and the gears on it I've never gotten along with.  The 1.6 is quite strained just making it move at all, turbo gets a hard time and it drinks a lot of fuel - even driving it frugally. I'll give props to Toyota / BMW, it's faster and more competent than you might expect from an engine that size in that car, but the cost is how much it needs its turbo.  That, along with BMW engineering, makes me think despite my high level of care to the engines servicing, it might still screw me someday.  That's the biggest reason for me selling it, and losing a lot (tyres, Battery, other investments). 

I think it's a great car ruined by a poor corporate choice to use BMW engines. Had I bought a 1.8 auto, in Excel spec.. I think I'd be driving it until 2030+ if I could make it last. 

I was losing too much sleep over it. On one hand, doing what I could with servicing.. sparing no expense .. but it wasn't giving me much confidence in return. It seems every other month we're reading about someone on here with major issues on a 1WW / 2WW not much older than mine. 

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out on here. I hope my information / mods and experiences on the forum can pay off and be useful to other and future owners and community members. I'll still be around if I can be use to anybody. 

For anyone curious, I've just bought a Lexus CT 200h Sport with 70k miles. Not a fresh new car by any means, but the main reasoning: - easier on fuel, - petrol fuel, - smaller but not too small or impractical, - proper Toyota engineering through and through, - a little bit of luxury (a first for me) but still sensible enough and not too sore on the wallet. 

I'm losing a bit on my Avensis, but that was always going to be the case. I've floated it a few times on AutoTrader.. Motorway, no interest from the private market sadly. 

I wish everybody on here well and hope that your Toyota's keep running well, and for a long time and many more years (decades) of happy driving in them. 

Ps, I will share what I have of the repair manual sometime... if allowed. It's incomplete as the Russian based website seems to have went offline permanently. I have Vehicle Exterior, Steering, General, Engine, Power Source / Network, Vehicle Interior all complete. I am missing Audio / Visual / Telematics, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brake.  It's a shame as this info is very useful regarding the 1WW as next to no information exists online in other forums or videos about these engines in these cars especially as they get into older age..  I will also likely give away my genuine rubber mats to someone on here if they cover postage. Only bought last summer at £60. Better in your hands than the dealer! 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 2

Best wishes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The ct200 is the luxury version of the auris. Get a catloc to protect the cat, if unaware. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Hi Shane, Best wishes for the future, we didn't like the centre console layout on the CT when we was looking to buy one, but many owners seem very impressed with the car and at the end of the day when we also previous owned two models we used to say "well it is a Lexus".:laugh:

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

So you purchased a posh auris - same issues, make sure it has a cat loc and the mounting brackets are reinforced 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, SB1500 said:

For anyone curious, I've just bought a Lexus CT 200h Sport with 70k miles. Not a fresh new car by any means

Did you get a recent hybrid health check report with the vehicle? Lexus offer a standalone 'Hybrid Health Check' for ~£60 which might be worth considering if the vehicle is outside the manufacturer's warranty to get some certainty on the condition of the system while it's still within the dealer's warranty period.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, AJones said:

Did you get a recent hybrid health check report with the vehicle? Lexus offer a standalone 'Hybrid Health Check' for ~£60 which might be worth considering if the vehicle is outside the manufacturer's warranty to get some certainty on the condition of the system while it's still within the dealer's warranty period.

Planning to take it up to Lexus and have the fluids changed plus that if not a full service in the next few months, summer maybe.  

I will definitely look into the 'cat lock' now.  I think had I bought an Auris I'd probably still be motoring away, I should have stuck to that back in 2021.  I'm back on the right track now. If it weren't for the touch system being the same as the Avensis (not been very good tbh) I would certainly have looked for an Auris Hybrid Excel for sure!  

• Like 3

Hopefully this will be a more suitable car for you! I know what it's like having a car you haven't really gelled with, and it ain't nice.

But you can still hang around - At least that's sortof a Toyota still! Even catlover still pops in from time to time and he jumped ship to VW! :laugh: 

I'd be interested to hear your experiences with the hybrid!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

Hello all, this is my farewell post as today I have bought another car and in one week, I will no longer be an Avensis owner. It's been just over two years nearly to the day (7th Jan 2022) since I collected the Avensis. 

I came here seeking advice as originally I was looking for a diesel / 1.2 Auris and had reserved one from a dealer in NI.. they were unable to tell me when it would be ready due to Christmas - saying even mid January.  I ended up looking elsewhere... sold my old car to WBAC at the time for around what I paid for it (crazy times) and was in a bit of a pinch to find something. I went to look at a white Auris Design which was quite messy inside and not in the best shape. The same yard had my Avensis, £12k, which I never considered but I was won over by the prospect of having - A Toyota, - a large car that'll be comfortable and it was right in my price range. I went for that, committed to buy it and that's where I got involved in this community. 

I didn't set out to get the Avensis, but I bought it. And in some ways, that's part of why I'm moving on. Frankly, the size is amazing on long trips with a full car, I love how the saloon looks and the space. Driving it isn't that bad apart from small car park spaces, though I've enjoyed the challenge of squeezing it in to some spaces.

I knew about the BMW engine and I should have avoided it - I was warned on here on the Auris side, and a quick Google search is also enough to scare buyers. But I ignorantly went for it, thinking it would be fine - "1.6 will be economical even if it's slow", well unfortunately that's just not been the case. I'm getting around 42mpg these days and at best could keep it around 45mpg in the summer. I put up with this as mid 2022 we saw sky rocketed fuel prices. Things are at least back down to earth now.. and it's become apparent that the Avensis is costing a fortune to run.  And at that, no performance, awkward gear shifts and really having to thrash it to get it to move as it needs to move on dual carriageways with roundabouts etc.  It's - at times - not that fun or relaxing to drive. No, I don't mean fun as in silly motoring journalist fun, but more unavoidable to get the gearbox to comply when trying to retain the smooth, graceful experience it gives when driving straight or at a steady speed - it's a great driving car, but the lack of power and the gears on it I've never gotten along with.  The 1.6 is quite strained just making it move at all, turbo gets a hard time and it drinks a lot of fuel - even driving it frugally. I'll give props to Toyota / BMW, it's faster and more competent than you might expect from an engine that size in that car, but the cost is how much it needs its turbo.  That, along with BMW engineering, makes me think despite my high level of care to the engines servicing, it might still screw me someday.  That's the biggest reason for me selling it, and losing a lot (tyres, battery, other investments). 

I think it's a great car ruined by a poor corporate choice to use BMW engines. Had I bought a 1.8 auto, in Excel spec.. I think I'd be driving it until 2030+ if I could make it last. 

I was losing too much sleep over it. On one hand, doing what I could with servicing.. sparing no expense .. but it wasn't giving me much confidence in return. It seems every other month we're reading about someone on here with major issues on a 1WW / 2WW not much older than mine. 

Thank you to everyone who has helped me out on here. I hope my information / mods and experiences on the forum can pay off and be useful to other and future owners and community members. I'll still be around if I can be use to anybody. 

For anyone curious, I've just bought a Lexus CT 200h Sport with 70k miles. Not a fresh new car by any means, but the main reasoning: - easier on fuel, - petrol fuel, - smaller but not too small or impractical, - proper Toyota engineering through and through, - a little bit of luxury (a first for me) but still sensible enough and not too sore on the wallet. 

I'm losing a bit on my Avensis, but that was always going to be the case. I've floated it a few times on AutoTrader.. Motorway, no interest from the private market sadly. 

I wish everybody on here well and hope that your Toyota's keep running well, and for a long time and many more years (decades) of happy driving in them. 

Ps, I will share what I have of the repair manual sometime... if allowed. It's incomplete as the Russian based website seems to have went offline permanently. I have Vehicle Exterior, Steering, General, Engine, Power Source / Network, Vehicle Interior all complete. I am missing Audio / Visual / Telematics, Drivetrain, Suspension, Brake.  It's a shame as this info is very useful regarding the 1WW as next to no information exists online in other forums or videos about these engines in these cars especially as they get into older age..  I will also likely give away my genuine rubber mats to someone on here if they cover postage. Only bought last summer at £60. Better in your hands than the dealer! 

shane i cant believe you are leaving you never made it down to the port so we could see each others cars i would have let you take a rip on mine see what you think .are you ever going to be on here anymore its a pity always  loved your posts but sad to see you go m8t 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SB1500 said:

I knew about the BMW engine and I should have avoided it - I was warned on here on the Auris side, and a quick Google search is also enough to scare buyers. But I ignorantly went for it, thinking it would be fine - "1.6 will be economical even if it's slow", well unfortunately that's just not been the case. I'm getting around 42mpg these days and at best could keep it around 45mpg in the summer. I put up with this as mid 2022 we saw sky rocketed fuel prices. Things are at least back down to earth now.. and it's become apparent that the Avensis is costing a fortune to run.  And at that, no performance, awkward gear shifts and really having to thrash it to get it to move as it needs to move on dual carriageways with roundabouts etc.  It's - at times - not that fun or relaxing to drive. No, I don't mean fun as in silly motoring journalist fun, but more unavoidable to get the gearbox to comply when trying to retain the smooth, graceful experience it gives when driving straight or at a steady speed - it's a great driving car, but the lack of power and the gears on it I've never gotten along with.  The 1.6 is quite strained just making it move at all, turbo gets a hard time and it drinks a lot of fuel - even driving it frugally. I'll give props to Toyota / BMW, it's faster and more competent than you might expect from an engine that size in that car, but the cost is how much it needs its turbo.  That, along with BMW engineering, makes me think despite my high level of care to the engines servicing, it might still screw me someday.  That's the biggest reason for me selling it, and losing a lot (tyres, battery, other investments). 

did you say shane you bought a Lexus CT 200h Sport  what year did you go for .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes please hang around,and if you get time maybe report back on how you get on with the lexus.

I like the looks of the ct200 , and would be interested to hear about the practically etc.

Might not be suitable for me at all with me being a low mileage driver now, those being a hybrid and all.

But love hearing about real life experience of different cars.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6.5yrs ago I bought a new avensis estate. 1.8 petrol manual. 72k miles later I don't love it but I can find no reason to swap it for anything else - likely to keep it for another 5-8 years (already had it twice as long as any car previously.  Has been, and hopefully will continue to be, totally reliable. 40-43mpg generally 52-54mpg on a motorway at 65mph. Plenty of space, glides a long. Just not interesting or fun but then I'm getting to the point I want reliability over 'fun'!  Glad I bought the petrol as did contemplate the diesel. Petrol seem to be better regarded although may need a new EPB at some stage if reports are believed!

Good luck with the Lexus. We have an auris as well the avensis, similarly reliable, more efficient and marginally more fun! Just less comfortable/refined/noisier than the avensis - Lexus should be better than the auris in these regards.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2009joe said:

did you say shane you bought a Lexus CT 200h Sport  what year did you go for .

Late 2017, It’s not the freshest or highest spec but it addresses my main issues with the Avensis personally speaking 🙂 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Willss said:

6.5yrs ago I bought a new avensis estate. 1.8 petrol manual. 72k miles later I don't love it but I can find no reason to swap it for anything else - likely to keep it for another 5-8 years (already had it twice as long as any car previously.  Has been, and hopefully will continue to be, totally reliable. 40-43mpg generally 52-54mpg on a motorway at 65mph. Plenty of space, glides a long. Just not interesting or fun but then I'm getting to the point I want reliability over 'fun'!  Glad I bought the petrol as did contemplate the diesel. Petrol seem to be better regarded although may need a new EPB at some stage if reports are believed!

Good luck with the Lexus. We have an auris as well the avensis, similarly reliable, more efficient and marginally more fun! Just less comfortable/refined/noisier than the avensis - Lexus should be better than the auris in these regards.

I’m glad you went for the petrol, I wish I did! Even your petrol mpg is superior to what I’ve gotten for two years now.  A relative with a Mazda 6 2.2D auto is getting the same MPG but at least he has 180hp to show for it! 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SB1500 said:

Late 2017, It’s not the freshest or highest spec but it addresses my main issues with the Avensis personally speaking 🙂 

i see your buddys are selling one down there also .nice looking machine what colour did you buy is that the same auto box thats in a toyota arus hybrid  is yours a hybrid im half thinking buying my wife  a 2016 oe a 2017 toyota arus hybrid by chance is the insurance for those more as i know a guy thats has a toyota rav 4 hybrid and the insurance is mad 

https://www.usedcarsni.com/2017-Lexus-CT-200h-200h-1-8-Sport-5dr-CVT-Auto-318615501?make=36&model=69111968&keywords=&fuel_type=0&trans_type=0&age_from=0&age_to=0&price_from=0&price_to=0&user_type=0&mileage_to=0&body_style=0&distance_enabled=1&distance_miles=60&distance_postcode=bt568je&distance_miles=60&homepage_search_attr=1&tab_id=0&search_type=1#&gid=1&pid=14

• Like 2

Surprised you sold it but glad you got a Lexus. So glad you didn't buy a Lexus IS Diesel like I did. Head gasket went, Got 18 months out of it. Horrible gearing and turbo lag. Awful MPG 33-38mpg.

Then bought a 2015 Auris Hybrid TS. Like the economy and free road tax but not exciting to drive. An A to B car that's reliable. Just turned 48,000 miles, so low miles. Bought with 26k.

The car that puts a smile on my face is my old 1996 Volvo 940 petrol auto estate. 2.3 litre low pressure turbo and automatic. Bought in 2016 for £250. Love the comfort, easy to drive and park and very easy to service.

240 on left sold in 2018. IS scrapped for £350 and far Volvo my current 940.

The CT should serve you well. James.

fleet.jpg

Toyota3.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Welcome to Hybrid Life, It has a bit of a learning curve to get the best mpg and performance balance out of them, it's a very different driving style - 1.5 and 1.8 hybrids are well proven you will see 200k miles without issue apart from the usual wear and tear items

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

It's not really goodbye from the Toyota family, but only from the Avensis page. I would say you could still visit and give your experience to other members, even if you no longer own the model. I still share my experience and info on Mk1 Avensis. 

Enjoy your Lexus and make sure your check their forums, which I suspect you will do. Have you heard the term Auris in drag? 😂

Best wishes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

It is an auris in a designer Kimono 🙃

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, flash22 said:

Welcome to Hybrid Life, It has a bit of a learning curve to get the best mpg and performance balance out of them, it's a very different driving style - 1.5 and 1.8 hybrids are well proven you will see 200k miles without issue apart from the usual wear and tear items

flash im half tempted to buy one of these petrol hybrid toyota arus or maybe one like shanes  but im still weary as how long will the Battery last when the car comes with a right few miles on the clock. plus i dont know if this is true is the insurance for these hybrid cars not very high as my friend next door neighbor has one and he said the insurance went up a right bit 

• Like 2

On 1/9/2024 at 6:06 PM, SB1500 said:

well shane buddy miss you already bud miss your mods and things you do to your car .so hows the new car going is it faster etc and was thinking boss if own my way sure tex me and must meet up sometime 

• Like 2

Very sorry to see you "go" as I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts.

It'd be good to hear about your Lexus experience - please pop back with updates 👍.

Take care and all the best.

Andy.

• Like 3

Take care and drive on a good ways.

The ct200 its a small car no ... ? Does the ct200 drive better then the avensis ?

• Like 2

23 hours ago, 2009joe said:

well shane buddy miss you already bud miss your mods and things you do to your car .so hows the new car going is it faster etc and was thinking boss if own my way sure tex me and must meet up sometime 

No problem Joe, still would love to see your Avensis next time I’m up around the coast and show the new car. I don’t get it to next week.  

I’ll miss the mods but I’ll not miss the uncertainty that they could short something out someday in the future. Watch the car care nuts new video about the 2023 Toyota and the after market LED rear lights that was a shocker to me! Burnt out his body ECU

11 hours ago, AndyN01 said:

Very sorry to see you "go" as I've thoroughly enjoyed your posts.

It'd be good to hear about your Lexus experience - please pop back with updates 👍.

Take care and all the best.

Andy.

Glad you liked the posts! I was a bit guilty feeling of waffling on in some of them!  Hope there is some decent experience in them to be helpful or interesting to future members 

7 hours ago, avensis_2018 said:

Take care and drive on a good ways.

The ct200 its a small car no ... ? Does the ct200 drive better then the avensis ?

smaller yeah, one segment down. Avensis being so bad on diesel was costing me a fortune, and it’s just me, my gf and her young kid so we didn’t particularly need the size. Though it’s been amazing to have and nice to enjoy on long trips all the same. im not sure how the CT will be on long trips (yet) compared to the Avensis, but from test driving it I do have to admit it feels extremely solid, quiet and smooth. It corners really well - it’s faster too (though still regarded as slow). Taking off from a stand still is very smooth - only done it a few times on a test drive but I do like it. I think these are more hybrid characteristics though. 

a Hybrid Avensis would have been amazing!!! The BMW engine ruined it for me. I think if I got a 1.8 Petrol, I’d not have even been looking for another car. Even if it was thirstier 

• Like 3

On 1/12/2024 at 9:01 PM, SB1500 said:

im not sure how the CT will be on long trips (yet) compared to the Avensis, but from test driving it I do have to admit it feels extremely solid, quiet and smooth. It corners really well

The CT is good on long trips. Just use the cruise control. We've done many long trips across UK and the continent. At autobahn speeds it does get thirsty but stick to 80mph and it's fine. 

It is solid. You can tell the've stiffened the body Shell. It's not inspiring to drive but you can certainly press on and it behaves very predictably.

Overall, you can tell they've spent a bit of extra effort everywhere in the car compared to a Toyota branded car. It all adds up to a very nice solid car.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links