Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Is the extended warranty worth it?

caretaker31

Hi, I have been getting my Rav4 serviced and tested from our local Toyota dealer for the last 3 years, two years ago it failed its test on the rear torsion bar, the dealer said its under the warranty so it saved me £900.

Last week it went in for its service and test, it failed again on the rear torsion bar!! this time they said its going to cost £600 and it isn't covered by the extended warranty! I looked up the extended warranty info from Toyota and it is listed on the covered items. I told the service department and all they said is its ware and tare and ins' covered!!  I contacted Toyota UK and they said that warranties have moved to another company but couldn't help with this matter and to contact the local dealer.

Oh and the front torsion bar is an advisory for next year at a cost of £890

let me know your thoughts

cheers

Kevin

I wonder if this is due to the shift from the "dealer sold" extended warranty to the "free" service linked extended warranty?   I found the "dealer sold" warranty to be excellent - and covered everything I expected it to (and I made a few claims on it).  However I have seen comments on this forum that the "service linked" warranty is far less comprehensive (and possibly more of a marketting tool). A few years ago I purchased a two year warranty on my aging Avensis for around £500, which at the time included free AA cover and free repairs for any MOT related issues (excluding the obvious wear tear and consumables.) I had no issue in paying this as I considered it to be good value. Personally I wouldn't object to an "enhanced" warranty being available to supplement to service linked one. However, this would in turn show up the shortcomings of the service linked warranty...

Hi Chris, thanks for the reply, I think you are right, I called Toyota and they said that the warranties are with a third party. What is funny, the service manager said oh springs, shockers and other parts of the suspension are cover just not the torsion bars! Crazy. I think I will be getting the servicing, testing and repairs done at a local garage, a quote that was given for the front torsion bar is in excess of £800 from Toyota. Speaking to the local garage he said he could get the part for around £230 with a hour or two to fit.

cheers,

Kevin

15 hours ago, caretaker31 said:

I looked up the extended warranty info from Toyota and it is listed on the covered items.

Are you referring to the extended warranty that we used to buy - typically at two years for the price of one - or the Relax additional warranty that comes 'free' with an annual dealer service?

The levels of cover are rather different. I thought that the old extended warranty was well worth paying for. We get the Relax warranty included within the price of a service ...

The Relax terms are conditions are here: https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/used-cars/Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21.pdf

There are plenty of exclusions, but equally there is a considerable amount that is covered ...

Edit: ... including the: Front and Rear Springs; Torsion Bars; Track Rods; Stub Axle; Cross Members; Sub frames; Wheel Bearings (limited up to 160.000km); Hubs; Shims; Lock Nuts;

🤷‍♂️

3 hours ago, philip42h said:

Are you referring to the extended warranty that we used to buy - typically at two years for the price of one - or the Relax additional warranty that comes 'free' with an annual dealer service?

The levels of cover are rather different. I thought that the old extended warranty was well worth paying for. We get the Relax warranty included within the price of a service ...

The Relax terms are conditions are here: https://www.toyota.co.uk/content/dam/toyota/nmsc/united-kingdom/used-cars/Toyota Relax TCs - 25.05.21.pdf

There are plenty of exclusions, but equally there is a considerable amount that is covered ...

Edit: ... including the: Front and Rear Springs; Torsion Bars; Track Rods; Stub Axle; Cross Members; Sub frames; Wheel Bearings (limited up to 160.000km); Hubs; Shims; Lock Nuts;

🤷‍♂️

Good morning Philip, yes sorry I should have been more clear, Its the additional warranty (Relax), they give as long as you get the vehicle serviced and tested by Toyota. I did point this document out to the service manager and showed him that under the suspension heading it states Torsion bars. The service manager said to me no, its not covered as its wear and tear!!

My other issue with this is the same torsion bar was replaced by them two years ago (under warranty), now I drive carefully, and have done 17000 miles since the replacement. I don't think this should have failed this quickly which I also pointed out to him. additionally, on the advisory I have been told it needs the front torsion bar replacing next at a cost in excess of £800.

many thanks for your comment and link.

Kevin

I think you should get in touch with Toyota GB and trading standards regarding the response you got from the garage. Essentially if it's covered and they are saying it's not, it's like fraud. 

• Like 2

I don't understand how they can say it's not covered when it says it is in black and white in the terms! Ridiculous! Maybe print it out and highlight it and draw a big circle round it, maybe some arrows :g: :laugh: 

Is there another dealer you can go to?

Otherwise you'll have to e-mail cr@toyota.co.uk and see what they say.

On 1/10/2024 at 5:31 PM, caretaker31 said:

Hi, I have been getting my Rav4 serviced and tested from our local Toyota dealer for the last 3 years, two years ago it failed its test on the rear torsion bar, the dealer said its under the warranty so it saved me £900.

Last week it went in for its service and test, it failed again on the rear torsion bar!! this time they said its going to cost £600 and it isn't covered by the extended warranty! I looked up the extended warranty info from Toyota and it is listed on the covered items. I told the service department and all they said is its ware and tare and ins' covered!!  I contacted Toyota UK and they said that warranties have moved to another company but couldn't help with this matter and to contact the local dealer.

cheers

Kevin

I am sorry to hear you have these problems. I can't imagine these torsion bars are consumables. They are either defected or you have been driving on mountain road regularly. I thought Toyota is reliable? 

8 hours ago, Torrox said:

I am sorry to hear you have these problems. I can't imagine these torsion bars are consumables. They are either defected or you have been driving on mountain road regularly. I thought Toyota is reliable? 

Thanks for the comment, this is the thing, I do drive carefully, no harsh breaking, no flying over speed bumps and only do about 8000 miles per year. I chose the RAV4 based on its reliability/bullet proof and Toyota reputation for putting customers first. On this occasion and based on that the service manager didn't seem to care when I contested the issue I feel totally let down to a point I am thinking of changing RAV4 and moving from Toyota.

I have spent most of yesterday chasing this with Toyota but ended up going in circles after getting an email back from Toyota Insurance full of spelling mistakes (see below)

cheers

Kevin

HI
Thank you fo ryour email.
Unforutanlt yyou have contacted Toyota car insurance company. 
You will need to speak to your local dealer for the correct contact information

Customer Services Team 
T 0333 103 9950

E service@toyotamotorinsurance.co.uk
Toyota Motor Insurance
PO Box 1308

Newcastle
NE12 2BF

• Confused 1

19 hours ago, Mojo1010 said:

I think you should get in touch with Toyota GB and trading standards regarding the response you got from the garage. Essentially if it's covered and they are saying it's not, it's like fraud. 

Thanks for the comment Mojo, I will keep chasing this, I feel a bit conned. I contacted Toyota Relax car Insurance from a link on a Toyota website, this is their badly spelt reply;

HI
Thank you fo ryour email.
Unforutanlt yyou have contacted Toyota car insurance company. 
You will need to speak to your local dealer for the correct contact information
Customer Services Team 

T 0333 103 9950
E service@toyotamotorinsurance.co.uk
Toyota Motor Insurance
PO Box 1308

Newcastle
NE12 2BF

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Cyker said:

I don't understand how they can say it's not covered when it says it is in black and white in the terms! Ridiculous! Maybe print it out and highlight it and draw a big circle round it, maybe some arrows :g: :laugh: 

Is there another dealer you can go to?

Otherwise you'll have to e-mail cr@toyota.co.uk and see what they say.

Thanks for the reply Cyker. I did show the service manager the warranty terms whilst I was at their branch, he said I know but its wear and tear. I said I will have to speak to Toyota about the issue and he said, "Well that's up to you"!

Not very customer friendly or helpful. 

There is another Toyota branch near me, I am calling their service dept this morning to see their stance on the situation and if it is a warranty repair or not. On Tuesday I told Stoneacre Toyota to do the repair and I will continue chasing this. I telephoned Stoneacre Toyota yesterday to see when I will be getting the car back, they said they have just ordered the part! so its been with them since Tuesday its now Friday, guess I may get it back next week!!

Thanks for the email link, I will be sending a lengthy email this morning

• Like 1

1 hour ago, caretaker31 said:

Thanks for the comment, this is the thing, I do drive carefully, no harsh breaking, 

I didn’t know you could break things gently….! I can however brake gently, or harshly…… 😂 

• Sad 1

On 1/11/2024 at 12:06 PM, Mojo1010 said:

Hi Mojo, thanks for the reply, I did and they said that they won't intervene. I would have to take up any concerns with the local dealer!

I have had the repair done at a cost of £789.00.

cheers

Kevin

Is that response from trading standards? I would phone and ask to speak to someone senior as I'm unhappy with the response. What did Toyota GB say?

• Like 1

On 1/10/2024 at 5:31 PM, caretaker31 said:

cheers

Kevin

I think wording may be an issue here, a Torsion bar is technically a form of rear suspension setup and not one that is used on Rav4 I have however heard Anti roll bars called Torsion bars.

Do you have a copy of the quote what part number is being quoted?

Part descriptions aside and even assuming the part required is on the "covered" list, T&C's always play a part especially where warranties are concerned, the warranty covers "Manufacturing defects" per section 4 of T&C's HERE Section 12 Exclusions (not covered by the Additional Warranty) heading (B) States: Damage or defects as a result of any wear and tear, excessive free play, noise and/or vibration, Sectio 13 B could also apply.

I suspect here the failure is not of the "Torsion bar"  but of a rubber mount or bush likely through "wear & tare" which is why the claim is being denied however we don't appear to have what the actually failure is it a worn rubber mount/bush which is not warrantable or is a separated or debonded bush for example which may be covered?

As to the Post heading the worth can only be determined by you and in your case you are likely feeling no, however for my recent customer that serviced his 2013 2.0 CVT Rav4 last  year just before is 10th anniversary with just short of 100k on the clock I'm damn sure he would say an emphatic YES when Toyota footed the £7957 repair bill for a new CVT transmission & Torque converter due to a failed bearing.

• Like 4

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links