Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New to Toyota: Highly recommended and no regrets!!

Pannett

2-litre Hybrid Touring Sport 5-door Excel 5 door CVT

For the last 20 years, I’ve driven or owned 6 Skoda models and have enjoyed them all, as well as receiving excellent service from the dealers. Unfortunately, our last Skoda, an Octavia PHEV estate, was a disappointment. Everything was good: acceleration, comfort, style and economy: the real-world mpg over 11600 miles was 78mpg. However, it was plagued by software issues: numerous error warnings, Skoda Connect never worked and most seriously, the 12-volt Battery dropped below 10 volts several times, meaning that nothing worked, including the door key, so I had to use the emergency key, open the bonnet and recharge the 12-volt Battery. We liked the car so much that we put up with the failings, until I was due to go out urgently and the car would not start. I’d been looking at CarWow for offers on a Toyota Corolla and found exactly the model we wanted at a dealership 40 miles from home. I contacted them on December 6th, inspected the car on the 7th and collected it on the 9th.

The CarWow price was more than £3500 below list and the offer for our Octavia was £1500 more than WBAC and as I’ve never wanted the hassle of a private sale, I accepted the deal. The car is the top of the range and as well as the usual features, it has a panoramic sunroof. My first Skoda had a sunroof and despite aircon, it’s lovely on a warm day to have the roof open to fresh air, so it’s a bonus.

The car has many good points. The head-up display (HUD) is brilliant: it displays speed, the current speed limit and when the excellent satnav is in use, it projects details of the next junction. The primary controls are assessed by buttons or knobs, so for example, setting the temperature is done without the distraction of searching for an icon on a screen. The virtual instrumentation is good, because the display can be changed according to preference. Our last three cars have had a DSG, but the Toyota’s CVT is extremely smooth in operation and I am unaware of any disadvantages.  The fuel gauge shows both the tank level and the remaining range. The auto headlight option automatically dips the headlights. The collision warning is a bonus,when I park the car in the garage. I’ve put a soft buffer on the central brick column, but when the HUD shows ‘BRAKE’ and stops the car, I’m just touching the buffer, so preventing damage. The automatic rear door opener concerned me slightly as our greyhound (the gorgeous Rosie) travels in there, but it’s not an issue because I open the door with the key fob, press on the door to stop it moving, grab her collar and then push the door the rest of the way up. I like having a 12-volt socket in the front of the car as well as the boot. The other main reasons for buying the Toyota are the company’s reputation for reliability and the 10-year warranty, as long as the vehicle is serviced by a Toyota dealer. I’ve taken out a service plan as it’s approximately equivalent to the cost of three years servicing and extends the roadside assistance from one year to three.

The fuel consumption is about 40 mpg overall, but most of our recent journeys have been short runs to and from the supermarket. On a long run, we have averaged between 52 and 58mpg. After the first refuel, the real world mpg was almost identical to the car’s overall mpg, so it seems to be accurate.

Conclusions: I was reluctant to leave Skoda, but their current range of vehicles are unsuitable for us. Another Octavia PHEV might have been an option, assuming software glitches had been sorted, but it’s not being made. The all-electric options are not acceptable as I like the option of refuelling quickly and I don’t like their clunky designs. The Toyota meets all our expectations, the design is lovely,  everything has worked as it should right from the start and I can highly recommend the Corolla as being a wonderful car.

• Like 13
  • Thanks 2

Thanks for the comprehensive review! :laugh: 

You won't regret your switch to Toyota.

Not to knock Skoda, but I have heard from various places that most of the VAG group models turn up with more than their fair share of annoying glitches, so much so that many diehards are now shifting to other brands. I guess you now know why.

• Like 5

Hi David, interesting perspective of your ownership of Skodas, but glad you are happy with your new Corolla. Enjoy:smile:

• Like 2

Good to know that the latest generation of Toyotas seem to be competing well with german cars. It was not so in the past.

• Like 1

MPG will get much better in the summer months. Also, the transmission isn’t CVT, it’s an E-CVT, which uses planetary gears & electric motors, rather than belts & comes in a conventional CVT. 

you get an idea as to how it works with this training video: 

• Like 3

It's because the germans have been maintaining/increasing their levels of comfort and refinement but they've been dropping the ball on reliability, quite badly in some cases, and maintainability.

Their cars tend to be over-engineered, so performing maintenance and repairs is a real PITA, and it also impacts their long term reliability.

Toyota tend to keep things simple and conservative, so they always get out-done in plushness, features, gadgets, infotainment etc., but their cars stay working the longest and tend to require less stuff replaced. None of mine have ever needed e.g. a new suspension arm or wheel bearing in the time I've owned them, but in most other makes it's considered normal/routine for such things to be replaced every few years or so! :eek: 

I was like that with my first car, but I couldn't go back to that now that I know it is possible to engineer a car that doesn't need that.

But german owners tend to have the opposite, and can find it difficult to get used to the lower levels of plush and refinement in Toyotas and feel they're being ripped off.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, Gray86 said:

MPG will get much better in the summer months. Also, the transmission isn’t CVT, it’s an E-CVT, which uses planetary gears & electric motors, rather than belts & comes in a conventional CVT. 

you get an idea as to how it works with this training video: 

Thanks for your post. I will have a good look at the video in.the morning.

Cyker I strongly disagree with a part of your  statement namely "Toyota tend to keep things simple and conservative" . Now how does a 661 page user manual for my  2023 Excel fit that description. This is  my 4th Toyota and it has become err complex beyond my wildest imagination. I previously abandoned  Volkswagen for Toyota because of the car's record of reliability and longevity. Now stuff (software) in my car does not work properly and Toyota/dealer  do not seem to be remotely  interested in fixing it so I  have adopted the "shrug my shoulders   mentality" and curse a bit when the car throws up a barrage of requests/warnings.  My wife is now acting as a co-pilot to turn of all the display screen messages and I  am not sure how long I can maintain that attitude  and the only thing keeping me going is the car's driveability which is pretty good.🙄

8 hours ago, Louie said:

when the car throws up a barrage of requests/warnings.  My wife is now acting as a co-pilot to turn of all the display screen messages

Without knowing what the "barrage of requests/warnings" are warning you of or asking you for, I'm only guessing, but it sounds to me like you just need to login with your Toyota ID.

If you didn't go through the setup process correctly, and it sounds like your handover must have been pretty poor, the car will ask you to login every time until you've done so correctly.

Annoyingly a message will even popup on screen, informing you your profile can't synch, whilst you're driving, if you've not logged in correctly.

Once you've gone through the setup properly and logged in correctly you should no longer see a "barrage of requests/warnings" on the display screen.

I think you ought to go back to the dealer and ask to go through the initial setup with someone that knows how it all works, although it does it explain it all on-screen if you have the patience to sit and read it all.

• Like 3

The problem I have here is this is the third Toyota  I have had with this dealer and up till now I had no problems. All the previous staff have gone and the branch now seems to be staffed by idiots who don't bother to return calls and make misleading statements. 

The staff don't seem to be talking to each other by passing on relevant messages and basically seem to be in a total state of shambles. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow and I just might loose my rag someone wish me luck.

• Sad 3

1 hour ago, Louie said:

The problem I have here is this is the third Toyota  I have had with this dealer and up till now I had no problems. All the previous staff have gone and the branch now seems to be staffed by idiots who don't bother to return calls and make misleading statements. 

The staff don't seem to be talking to each other by passing on relevant messages and basically seem to be in a total state of shambles. I am going back to the dealer tomorrow and I just might loose my rag someone wish me luck.

Go to a different Toyota dealer. There's no need to put up with poor service.
Also, e-mail a complaint to Toyota UK about it as well.

Many years ago when I was driving a Lexus, I got fobbed off and misled over an issue.
I e-mailed Lexus Ireland stating what the issue was and what happened. (Over here Lexus and Toyota both pride themselves on providing excellent service)
Within 24 hours I had a Lexus Ireland rep phone me looking for more info, and soon after the service manager of the dealership (who I had known for a while) also called with an apology and a proper explanation. Something which should have been done on day one.
Once everything was cleared up and the dust settled, I was treated better than ever before.
It's no harm to bypass the middleman and go straight to the top if needed.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, Louie said:

You don't have to name them, but I notice that you live in Lincs (as do I) and I have had a similar experience with my local dealer. They've gone from being generally very good to increasingly disorganised and sometimes downright dishonest in my opinion. Classic example being phoning me out of the blue last year to quote me £360 for a bodywork repair for 'damage' they apparently spotted during a service. I was rather shocked and immediately went outside the examine the car, only to find that the so called damage was just a streak of grease and dirt on the bumper which rubbed off in a few seconds with a cloth! 

• Like 2
  • Sad 2

Thank you for all your comments much appreciated.

It is now time to look for a different dealer (yes I am taking your advice on board) . Is anyone familiar with or had any experience with Listers in Boston Lincolnshire as that is my nearest Toyota  dealer.  Listers is a bit more awkward to get to than the one I currently am with in Peterborough but not for much longer.

The outfit  I am having problems with turned up today to collect my Excel to pursue some major warranty issues after I had specifically told them to put things on hold as I can't be without a vehicle for more than a day or two. This is took place after a long telephone call followed by an e-mail confirming my request several days ago.  The promise of a returned phone call never happened and my email was obviously ignored. This event aptly illustrates the shambolic nature of this outlet.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Louie said:

It is now time to look for a different dealer (yes I am taking your advice on board) . Is anyone familiar with or had any experience with Listers in Boston Lincolnshire as that is my nearest Toyota  dealer.  Listers is a bit more awkward to get to than the one I currently am with in Peterborough but not for much longer.

The outfit  I am having problems with turned up today to collect my Excel to pursue some major warranty issues after I had specifically told them to put things on hold as I can't be without a vehicle for more than a day or two. This is took place after a long telephone call followed by an e-mail confirming my request several days ago.  The promise of a returned phone call never happened and my email was obviously ignored. This event aptly illustrates the shambolic nature of this outlet.

I’ve had terrible service too but from a different dealer network, also my unrelated local dealer has had big staff changes. I’ve had many Toyotas but the customer service seems to have deteriorated in 2023, not sure why staff are leaving dealers or why some have a couldn’t care less culture. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Louie said:

I’ve always had good service from Listers in Lincoln.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Further to my previous comments I have a few more to add. Today we went to find a hospital where my wife is having a cataract removed later this week  and wanted to get there in good time. We went for the pre-med last week and the postcode did not take us to the correct location. I ended up paying a taxi to lead us to the hospital, where we arrived just a few minutes late but feeling a bit stressed!. So today I entered the address and the satnav was brilliant: the head up display gave details of the next junction and the spoken instructions were both clear and well in advance of the junction. We would have been totally lost otherwise. Other favourable comments include the led strip lights either side of the boot, which provide good illumination and the fact that door sill guards and floor mats are included at no extra cost. MPG was well over 50, despite driving near to the speed limit applicable.  It's such a pleasure to have been proven correct in leaving Skoda and buying a Toyota.

• Like 3

Thank you for all your comments. The issue here is not the car but the dealer. I have now moved away from my old dealership and am talking to Listers in Boston. The change has been instantly noticeable. All my calls were fielded with professionalism and they were actually returned. I now have a appointment with Listers next Wednesday who are going to address my warranty issues so  more news to follow hopefully for the better.

• Like 4

Good news Listers of Boston turned out to be welcoming, professional, and dealt with 99% of my issues there and then. The whole visit took just over one hour so still puzzled why my original dealer based in Peterborough wanted the car for two days ?? 

The one eye raising issue plopped in  my lap  by Listers  was that that particular  Excel  had been very recently subject to a recall probably because of a litany of software issues. Alarmingly my original dealer never mentioned that issue ever which now begs the question what else was he not telling me. 

• Like 4

27 minutes ago, Louie said:

Good news Listers of Boston turned out to be welcoming, professional, and dealt with 99% of my issues there and then. The whole visit took just over one hour so still puzzled why my original dealer based in Peterborough wanted the car for two days ?? 

The one eye raising issue plopped in  my lap  by Listers  was that that particular  Excel  had been very recently subject to a recall probably because of a litany of software issues. Alarmingly my original dealer never mentioned that issue ever which now begs the question what else was he not telling me. 

Did Listers sort out the problems you have been getting with pop ups on your infotainment screen?

• Like 2

On the bright side, you now know a good dealer and a dealer to avoid!

I really do miss the dealer ranking table this forum used to have!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, bigblock said:

Did Listers sort out the problems you have been getting with pop ups on your infotainment screen?

yes believe it or not 😀

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Louie said:

I have a 2023 Excel TS, interested in what your issues are, I suspect your original dealer was the chain with a bird in the name, they are far from ideal, that’s being kind

• Like 2

Hi simond64 basically the comment made by the Lister Techie was that it was obvious that the car had not been handed over properly because the vehicle  had not been properly configured at hand over. The main issue was the plethora of messages being thrown up randomly by the Infotainment screen on start up and while driving. The main one being asked to agree to various Infotainment connectivity functions  shown up as  tick boxes followed by a QR code recognition. I got he impression that the  previous dealer had completed the configuration process and obviously he had failed. I sat in the car with him while he went through the process so I have no idea what he actually did.

The Listers techie was also able to moderate some of the sensitivities of a variety safety functions such as proximity of obstacles when parking and reversing etc just to mention one. An irritating feature they cured was brief random beeping after you have parked up the car weird or what. Also it was mentioned that you had to assign a primary mobile phone to the car to make sure your passengers mobile did not interfere with the Infotainment connectivity. I manage to learn a lot in that one hour or so  I spent at the dealership  something that never occurred at the previous establishment.

Listers have photographed the seats (ballooning and creasing)  and are going to take it up with Toyota UK and I did say to them good luck with that lads.

After I left the dealership the Infotainment screen was behaving itself without any silly random pop ups so far so good.

• Like 2

As for me, I want Toyotas to continue to be reliable. Good to know they're getting more refined, as long as that does not compromise reliability. I prefer a reliable, cheaper to maintain car, than a more refined with a BMW or VW reliability.

And I do like Toyota manuals. I like how they are big and detailed. Especially the section of the manual "Maintenance you can do for yourself". I think it is awesome.

• Like 3

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links