Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Immobiliser Issue car won’t start

Helpneeded

Hi Guys have. 2008 Rav petrol, been in hospital for  just over 5 weeks everything ok now due out next week😀 However just been told the vehicle won’t start   They have tried to start but cuts out, friend took it to Kwik fit  🥺 they saying immobilsher came up on diagnostics but they don’t any that type of work.

my spare key is 250 mile away at home, I was thinking it might of been bad Battery in fob but since been changed no difference but I remeber one day in November before I went into hospital the alarm went off during the night for no reason never done that before , never happened since.

they considering taken key to a guy who cuts car keys to see if the chip in actual key is dead,

I can’t think straight being in hospital for so long , but thinking  is there a immobilsher in engine bay that could be the problem maybe a dumb blonde question.

relative said when they tried to start the car the other day when pressed the fob the noise of it unlocking wasn’t a normal sound if that makes sense.

can’t believe I’m getting discharged next week and home is 250 mile away and think snow forecast, so looking forward to getting out of hospital as well

Hello, I empathize with you being stuck in hospital, it might not be the same, but when I was stuck in a similar situation last March, my car, old Yaris, needed a new 12v Battery.

But given that yours started, and went to Kwik fit, not that then unless they jump started it.

But if you can, get your friend to test for a dead 12v , and if so, replace with a yuasa.

• Like 1

It was recovered  it to Kwik fit as just up the road wouldnt have been my choice, at time they were thinking flat Battery on car I wasn’t made aware as they didn’t want to stress me.

when you say a 12v Battery daft question is that  big car Battery you on about, if so I believe that’s been checked Kwik fit suggested to them getting a auto electrician, as battery has been changed in the car key fob.

on computer it said immobilsher issue

I know very little about cars and asking my sister about what’s happening she knows even less😀

Hello, yes it's the main car Battery, usually under the bonnet that I mean.

Sorry, I know how difficult this must be, but you need to be clear about whether the car will not start or even turn the engine over because the main 12v Battery under the bonnet is completely dead, and not unlocking because no power to the locks on the car, not the key.

Or whether it started and was driven to Kwik fit by your friend,in which case it most likely is something else.

So when you say recovered, was this on a car transporter ie say AA recovery or similar?

Could you get your friend to Google around the area where the car is to find a mobile mechanic, and check reviews on them.

I would tend to trust what they say, rather than Kwik fit.

I have to pop out for a short time now, but will be back on here 2 or 3 hours, and will check back with you.

In the meantime, could you ring your friend, and find out what happened when they first went to the car to try and start it please.

Others with more knowledge than me,may be along with better answers for you, they are very clued up on here, and I am sure will help if possible.

As far as I know it was they unlocked car with fob made a weak sound car try to start but it  cut out, they get there friends neighbour to recover it to Kwik fit😩 as thet have a recovery truck as there neighbours son works  there and literally just up the road,

I just wish in hindsight they had left it on drive as I have breakdown cover but they where trying to not stress me out😩

I hate Kwik fit I far sooner drive past.

the actual key fob has been checked at car key cutting place and it seems ok so so it must be the actually immobilsher on the car wires etc 🫤 just not sure .

weird in November the ala4m went off for no apparent reason

it needs a new 12v Battery - your best bet is to get it recovered home and deal with it when you are up to it, you need to be focusing on yourself a decent auto locksmith will be able to sort it

• Like 1

Ok, so it sounds like you are 250 miles away from home,is home Berwick shire then?

In which case you need this sorting to drive home for when you are discharged.

Right,if your friend has some jump leads it's worth trying these first to try and start the car.

Even if they do succeed, and your car Battery has been dead for a while ,it will still be kaput, and you will need a new one, could your friend do this if needed?

As I say, I recommend a yuasa as a cure for most Battery troubles, put your reg no on Halfords website for a price and availability.

Sorry,cross posted with flash there.

2 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Sorry,cross posted with flash there.

Apparently Kwik fit tested the Battery and it was ok🥺 can’t drive home when discharged as need a 4x4 it’s 3 mile up a track and not much of a track atm as apparently it’s been washed away with all the heavy rain we have had🫤

need to get it sorted in newcastle  will just see what happenes when I get discharged , hopefully snow will stay away

That is a bit of a pickle to be in 😕.

It honestly sounds like time to call on family and friends to help, it's near impossible to get anything done when stuck in hospital, I know.

So ask for help,if no family or friends available, then as a last resort ask for the hospital social services rep or discharge team to coordinate things.

Good luck, and fingers 🤞 for you.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links