Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Too Idle?

Bper

After discussions with my wife about the possibility of going abroad for 3 months during the winter (and leaving the car here), the thought occurred regarding leaving the car idle for this period of time. Would this be viable? Can anyone offer constructive advice?

Check your house insurance first. Most house insurance policies limit how many days the home can be left unoccupied before cover ceases - commonly 30 or 60 days. If away for longer than the limit in your policy, you may need an 'unoccupied home policy' or similar.

Check with your insurer.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good idea Bob.

How about making an adventure, and driving to the Canaries, taking the car.

Last time I looked at that possibility, ferry to France, drive across France and Spain to Cadiz, ferry to Tenerife, and go from there.

Lovely weather when you get there, and a great road trip on the way, and have got the car with you to save all hassle with rip off car hire.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

Check your house insurance first. Most house insurance policies limit how many days the home can be left unoccupied before cover ceases - commonly 30 or 60 days. If away for longer than the limit in your policy, you may need an 'unoccupied home policy' or similar.

Check with your insurer.

Well I certainly didn't think of that regarding the house insurance and this also applies to the car insurance.👍

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Good idea Bob.

How about making an adventure, and driving to the Canaries, taking the car.

Last time I looked at that possibility, ferry to France, drive across France and Spain to Cadiz, ferry to Tenerife, and go from there.

Lovely weather when you get there, and a great road trip on the way, and have got the car with you to save all hassle with rip off car hire.

Hi Paul, We are certainly finding as we are getting that much older how we are both suffering from the cold every winter and this seems to get worse every year. It not a bad idea to take the car and we did discuss it but left it a option.

As you say it takes the hassle away of hiring a car so at the moment just looking for advice,but it shows what you can easily miss especially as frosty pointed out house insurance for one.:smile:

I'm sure there are other things I have not taken in to consideration as well so that's why I asked.:smile:

• Like 1

Another thing to think about Bob if leaving the car for so long - have you got someone who could come along, say once a week, to fire it up for you? If you are prepared to pay my fare, I would do it for you no problem. I could also make sure the house was aired and the post and milk taken in. 😊

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

Another thing to think about Bob if leaving the car for so long - have you got someone who could come along, say once a week, to fire it up for you? If you are prepared to pay my fare, I would do it for you no problem. I could also make sure the house was aired and the post and milk taken in. 😊

Hi David, another brilliant idea we could of course offer it up as a house exchange or an Air B and B. 😂

Fortunately we have a neighbour who loves washing and servicing his cars and is the only bloke I have met who we saw washing his cars in the pouring rain. I asked him why and he said it saves using the Karcher.:laugh:

You could of course house sit for us for the 3 months and that's another idea but travelling backwards and forwards to Leitrim every day may be a bit to much for you.😂

The milkman delivers 3 pints of gold top, 2 pints of red top and 3 bottles of orange squash every day and collects the money once a week.😂

The post is delayed due to a computer error but better news is on the Horizon.:smile:

• Haha 4

Be careful about David house sitting Bob,he would probably invite me and the Boyz from da hood.

We would drink all your spirit cupboard dry, and trash da crib.

Is your drive big enough for several wide body Yarisisss and slammed 70s Carinas?

• Haha 5

The heading, “Too Idle” has prompted a change in tack, for which I apologise.    I am thinking of the cartilage collection for emptying the waste and recycling bins.

Our council informs us that we can put the bins out on our drive at 7:00 am on the morning of collection, so we stand them at the edge of the drive.  But when the bin-men return them, they leave them on the pavement - another metre and they would be back on the drive!

Now, if a partly-sighted person fell over them, who would be responsible for any injury suffered?  Bearing in mind that (a)many residents have left for work before the bins are emptied, and (b)neighbours are not liable for moving the bins off the pavement on behalf of those who have left for work.

• Like 2

On 1/15/2024 at 9:21 PM, Bper said:

Hi Paul, We are certainly finding as we are getting that much older how we are both suffering from the cold every winter and this seems to get worse every year. It not a bad idea to take the car and we did discuss it but left it a option.

I know people who do something opposite, i.e. quitting hot climates for cooler ones in the summer. Anyway, they have a house sitter who checks everything regularly. But, if you could find a full time house sitter that might be the best solution ?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Haliotis said:

The heading, “Too Idle” has prompted a change in tack, for which I apologise.    I am thinking of the cartilage collection for emptying the waste and recycling bins.

Our council informs us that we can put the bins out on our drive at 7:00 am on the morning of collection, so we stand them at the edge of the drive.  But when the bin-men return them, they leave them on the pavement - another metre and they would be back on the drive!

Now, if a partly-sighted person fell over them, who would be responsible for any injury suffered?  Bearing in mind that (a)many residents have left for work before the bins are emptied, and (b)neighbours are not liable for moving the bins off the pavement on behalf of those who have left for work.

Our bins are left at the end of our drive and the dustman generally put them back, but often a few metres away from the drive which isn't a problem. However I suspect that at some stage the councils will start installing multi bins and telling us all we have to go to a general waste point. That way it will save time and money.

Regarding partially-sighted people I would assume that depending on the level of vision they would have a stick which will alert them to this. I think it's the same problem with wheelchairs trying to get round them especially if a high kerb exists or cars are parked on the pavement.

Responsibility for accidents caused by bins, that would no doubt be argued as to why a visually impaired person who's vision was that bad that they couldn't see a large bin didn't have a stick with them or why they wasn't accompanied when going out. 🙂

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Bins bins bins,a few years ago when I was still working I used to leave before the binmen arrived, and they invariably left the big wheely bin in the exact centre of the driveway, I think they must have measured the centres.

So on return I had to get out of the car and shift it before I could get on,if on the other hand I was home, they would do the same blocking the car in.

Now I have what they call "assisted bin service" now this is a lot more random,it is supposed to "help" me the idea is that they get the bins from where they are, and return them to the same place.

So what they do is to carefully place them with the handle facing wet grass in assorted locations, unless of course they do the opposite.

This all makes it more difficult to shift them, which I have been "assessed" as unable to do.

But I have to,as now they are usually across the path,or rammed up next to my car door.

As Blackadder said " my path is truly strewn with cowpats from the devil's very own herd".

• Haha 4

Bob, many people with disabilities can be fiercely independent - whether they have a stick or might be better if they were accompanied is not relevant.  The real cause of injury would be a bin that had been left where a bin should not be.

Regarding the mention of wheelchairs and high kerbs, a person trying to negotiate a wheelchair around a bin might result in a wheel slipping off the kerb and the wheelchair plus occupant falling into the road.

Our bin men always seem to go at a fast trot between bins and wagon, with the wagon slowly stop-starting as they progress along the road. I suspect that these men are free to leave work once the round has been completed, which may explain why the bins are dumped short of where they belong.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Bob, many people with disabilities can be fiercely independent - whether they have a stick or might be better if they were accompanied is not relevant.  The real cause of injury would be a bin that had been left where a bin should not be.

Regarding the mention of wheelchairs and high kerbs, a person trying to negotiate a wheelchair around a bin might result in a wheel slipping off the kerb and the wheelchair plus occupant falling into the road.

Our bin men always seem to go at a fast trot between bins and wagon, with the wagon slowly stop-starting as they progress along the road. I suspect that these men are free to leave work once the round has been completed, which may explain why the bins are dumped short of where they belong.

Albert, I don't think there can be any argument regarding your comments. Dustbins, cars or any other obstruction that impedes either partially sighted, the blind, wheelchair users, mobility scooters and pushchairs etc., has always been a contentious issue.

Many places in the UK have very limited pavement space for walking let alone putting bins out which limits access and can be particularly dangerous for people who have visual or mobility disabilities. Many able bodied people have also had accidents. It's exactly the same with uneven pavements. 

Many of the problems are a result of the quantity of waste we now use and the multiple bins, sometimes four, left on the pavement that are only moved when the dustman empties them and as you say do not put them back properly.

Claims companies have been set up for years covering these accidents  Councils have separate funds set aside to meet these claims.

As I said in my post, I think councils are starting to bring in multi bins into roads at central points for household rubbish. Doing this will help to keep the pavements clear but will not help those who are unable to reach these bins who are in the category of disability.

Catch 22 in my opinion. Lack of space, people not doing their job properly - dustman in this case and inconsiderate people parking cars and dumping fridges etc., all contribute to this problem.☹️

6 minutes ago, Bper said:

As I said in my post, I think councils are starting to bring in multi bins into roads at central points for household rubbish.

When I went on holiday to one of the Canary islands, small town with narrow streets,no room for wheely bins everywhere.

There was a central system with bins big enough to take all the waste, and emptied early every day, which avoids rubbish stinking in the heat.

The older folk who could not walk very well left out a small bag of rubbish by the gate in the evening, and the younger ones would pick it up, and take it to the central bins on their way out.

Would not work here unfortunately,as most just chuck their fast food wrappers on the floor anyway, and are too stupid to figure out when the bin collection is on the same day and time every week.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

When I went on holiday to one of the Canary islands, small town with narrow streets,no room for wheely bins everywhere.

There was a central system with bins big enough to take all the waste, and emptied early every day, which avoids rubbish stinking in the heat.

The older folk who could not walk very well left out a small bag of rubbish by the gate in the evening, and the younger ones would pick it up, and take it to the central bins on their way out.

Would not work here unfortunately,as most just chuck their fast food wrappers on the floor anyway, and are too stupid to figure out when the bin collection is on the same day and time every week.

We have seen these central systems in a few countries and they are in many places in the UK. I suspect with the councils looking to cut costs they will no doubt implement these everywhere possible at some stage.

They have made the situation worse with the amount of fly tipping mainly due to the cost and restrictions at local waste centres.

In one of the local parks near us there are two bins but the youngster gather at night and just throw rubbish on the grass.:sad: 

WE have three recycle bins - (a)one for general waste, (b)one for cans, bottles, clean foil, cardboard and paper, and (c)one for garden waste.  The last one is charged (and usually increases) annually.

(a)and(b) are collected weekly, but soon to be fortnightly.  That won’t be a problem for us, but there are some in the road who fill their bins in a week.  Wonder how they will make out?    (C) is already a fortnightly collection, and one a different day.

What is meant by “a central system”?  If it means travelling to a recycle centre to take one’s own waste, it raises the question of what happens for the elderly and infirm, especially if they have no transport of their own?

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

WE have three recycle bins - (a)one for general waste, (b)one for cans, bottles, clean foil, cardboard and paper, and (c)one for garden waste.  The last one is charged (and usually increases) annually.

(a)and(b) are collected weekly, but soon to be fortnightly.  That won’t be a problem for us, but there are some in the road who fill their bins in a week.  Wonder how they will make out?    (C) is already a fortnightly collection, and one a different day.

What is meant by “a central system”?  If it means travelling to a recycle centre to take one’s own waste, it raises the question of what happens for the elderly and infirm, especially if they have no transport of their own?

It's the same as collection points that you take glass and cardboard to. The difference is they are generally larger. They are normally placed at a convenient point that residents can walk to. 

Many are positioned at the top of streets if space allows. I believe provision is made for those who are unable to take their own rubbish.

12 hours ago, Bper said:

It's the same as collection points that you take glass and cardboard to. The difference is they are generally larger. They are normally placed at a convenient point that residents can walk to. 

Many are positioned at the top of streets if space allows. I believe provision is made for those who are unable to take their own rubbish.

Most of those in our area have been removed and the only ones that remain seem to be on supermarket car parks.  I don’t know of the reasons for removal, except that perhaps careless dumping, probably largely due to leaving the waste on the ground when the bins overflowed, may have raised problems.

Regarding fly tipping, this is just the worst end of the general litter problem, caused because many of the population have developed dirty habits which only serve to further degrade the environment in which we have to live.

• Like 1

Take for example Spain where they are extensively used and the streets are kept very clean. It's the minority that spoil this country with rubbish laden streets and parks.:mad:

• Like 1

When I was a kid I visited several local parks.  All had play equipment like swings, slides, etc.  And there were always park keepers on hand.  When I was courting, I would often take my girl friend to a park for a picnic on a Sunday afternoon. Park keepers and play equipment are now a thing of the past, and parks themselves are now grotty and have no reason for people to visit them for pleasure - all this deterioration being council-officer driven.

Don’t parents even realise how their kids have been robbed of healthy, outdoor exercise, and which was free for even the poorest kids in society to be able to enjoy?

• Like 2

On 1/17/2024 at 7:55 PM, Bper said:

In one of the local parks near us there are two bins but the youngster gather at night and just throw rubbish on the grass.

We have the same problem. In my humble opinion, it's because someone will always come and pick up after them. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 1/18/2024 at 1:07 PM, Haliotis said:

When I was a kid I visited several local parks.  All had play equipment like swings, slides, etc.  And there were always park keepers on hand.  When I was courting, I would often take my girl friend to a park for a picnic on a Sunday afternoon. Park keepers and play equipment are now a thing of the past, and parks themselves are now grotty and have no reason for people to visit them for pleasure - all this deterioration being council-officer driven.

Don’t parents even realise how their kids have been robbed of healthy, outdoor exercise, and which was free for even the poorest kids in society to be able to enjoy?

Really sad state of affairs... 😌

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links