Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

12v battery booster pack connection.

Mim

2.0L GR Sport 2023...have bought a Noco GB20 Battery booster just in case...on checking the official connection point on the engine block for the negative booster lead I find its to far from the fuse box positive connector because the leads from the booster pack are not long enough. My question is...can I connect to an earthing point nearer to the positive connector?

• Like 1

Yes

• Like 1

Anywhere where there is a good earth connection just don't use the negative terminal of the Battery as it can blow some electronics .. apparently!

• Confused 1

I think the reason the conventional wisdom is to connect the negative lead far away is to reduce the possibility of sparks blowing something up.

With these jump-pack starters, they don't supply any power until you press the button, so it's safe to connect them to closer points, even directly to the Battery for you lucky people with batteries still in the engine bay! :laugh: 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I think the reason the conventional wisdom is to connect the negative lead far away is to reduce the possibility of sparks blowing something up.

With these jump-pack starters, they don't supply any power until you press the button, so it's safe to connect them to closer points, even directly to the battery for you lucky people with batteries still in the engine bay! :laugh: 

Yes, the reasoning behind not connecting the earth connection of traditional jump leads direct to the Battery wasn't to protect the electronics, it was to prevent sparks igniting any hydrogen gas coming from the Battery. It is safe to connect jump packs direct to the Battery as you mention.

• Like 1

I connect to a bare metal bolt behind the fuse box. Going to charge mine tonight as it’s sat in a cold garage for good few days, and only short trips planned next week 

• Like 1

Gramme, if not too late, can you check the voltage first

1 hour ago, Roy124 said:

Gramme, if not too late, can you check the voltage first

Sorry I don’t have a multimeter. 

On 1/19/2024 at 8:13 PM, yossarian247 said:

Yes, the reasoning behind not connecting the earth connection of traditional jump leads direct to the battery wasn't to protect the electronics, it was to prevent sparks igniting any hydrogen gas coming from the battery. It is safe to connect jump packs direct to the battery as you mention.

well you live and learn, a great endorsement for forums such as this.

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links