Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

First Service.

WOODWAYS6

Is it normal to be charged for a first service .So called interim? I've recently bought my one year old car privately and am taking it for its first visit to Toyota .They say the cost will be £240.

4 minutes ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

Is it normal to be charged for a first service .So called interim? I've recently bought my one year old car privately and am taking it for its first visit to Toyota .They say the cost will be £240.

Yes, why would you not be charged? 

• Like 1

Hi Nigel

You have 2 types of services 

1 Interim and the other is a full service that is more expensive 

• Like 1

Hi Nigel, yes it is normal to be charged for the interim service providing you do not need any work done and it is cheaper then the full service.

Perhaps this is your first experience with Toyota.😀

4 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Nigel, yes it is normal to be charged for the interim service providing you do not need any work done and it is cheaper then the full service.

Perhaps this is your first experience with Toyota.😀

Not really but with a newish car yes.Its quite annoying paying for jobs I can easily do my self .if it wasn't for getting the book stamped.i wouldn't go there .

4 hours ago, Parts-King said:

Yes, why would you not be charged? 

I thought with a newish car the first would be free.

15 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

I have owned many new cars and I have never had my first service for free.

On each service a Hybrid health check is performed on the main traction Battery in addition to the usual service items.  The bonus of taking it to a main dealer for servicing is that you also get the 'Relax' warranty cover for a year. This is up to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

17 hours ago, WOODWAYS6 said:

No, free first services went out in the 1990's, they were traditionally done between 600-1000 miles, when oils and engineering standards were not like they are today. Most modern oils are capable of doing 20K, so therefore a free 600-1000 mile service is no longer required. The (paid for) intervals are every 10K or 12 months, whichever comes first 

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 9:47 AM, Harters said:

On each service a Hybrid health check is performed on the main traction battery in addition to the usual service items.  The bonus of taking it to a main dealer for servicing is that you also get the 'Relax' warranty cover for a year. This is up to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

Thanks

• Like 1

On 1/23/2024 at 6:02 PM, WOODWAYS6 said:

The first service used to be "free" way back in the dark ages (up to about 1980) but in reality it was not free, you were charged for it in the list price. That service was only an oil change in truth (might have been check tappets as well) at about 1500 miles when oil was carp and tolerances were worse.

In recent times the only way to get a "free" service is to negotiate one with the purchase. Last time I did this was when I sorted out a "new" car for the uncle in 2019. We got him a pre-reg Suzuki Celerio and as part of the deal they included the first service (only mentioned it after I had got the price I wanted).

There is no point "assuming" anything in this life is free, you need to ask before you agree to purchase.

In Ireland, new Toyotas come with the first three services included in the price. Obviously, the price would probably be a bit cheaper if the 'free' services were not included. 😉

25 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

In Ireland, new Toyotas come with the first three services included in the price. Obviously, the price would probably be a bit cheaper if the 'free' services were not included. 😉

👍

On 1/24/2024 at 9:47 AM, Harters said:

On each service a Hybrid health check is performed on the main traction battery in addition to the usual service items.  The bonus of taking it to a main dealer for servicing is that you also get the 'Relax' warranty cover for a year. This is up to 10 years or 100,000 miles.

👍

26 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

👍

On new cars in Ireland Toyota give a 3 year guarantee or a 100thousand miles, whichever comes first and also 3 free services. I thought that was worldwide, apparently not!!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links