Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Mk1 Avensis at 200,000 miles

talldave

Hi all - Monday was a big day for my 1998 Mk1 Avensis (1.8 7A-FE) auto. I clocked up 200,000 miles. It's been a great car in the 18 years I've had it and has been really cheap to run - I've always serviced it myself and taken it to my local garage for the things I couldn't do. Just thought I'd share this with the Mk1 fans out there. I'm planning on replacing it it later this year - I'll be sad to see it go.

No doubt a few others can beat 200k?

Avensis200k.jpg

• Like 13

I know quite a few members in the past have hit the 200k threshold, but usually diesel owners - It's much rarer to see petrols hit that, so well done! :thumbsup: 

• Like 3

Good going. Hope my 7 Yr old one does as well! 

There's a 12 plate petrol avensis on autotrader atm  with 337k miles but it did have a new engine 80k ago! 

Several between 120-160k maybe that's when repairs become more frequent hence greater desire to sell?

• Like 3

If you would look at it our way, it's even more great !

Your avensis did 320.000 km !

It's great for a petrol car and it means you did the maintenance well !

• Like 3

its just a number, with good care and attention on driving it, it can do twice then that.

• Like 1

Good on you. Getting a well-built, uncomplicated machine and running it to its true potential is much more environmentally friendly compared to buying more and more new stuff.

• Like 3

Brings back a few memories of my Carina E with the same engine and the dog-leg style manual gear lever. Not as quick as other 1.8s at the time (late 90s) but always managed to achieve 40mpg. Those pre-VVTi engines were better IMO.

Hope it goes to a good home when you decide to sell it.

• Like 3

Neighbours sons 2014 Diesel Avensis passed 360,000 miles last summer. It did over 80,000 miles in the last 12 months while he waited for his new car.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, skidlid said:

Neighbours sons 2014 Diesel Avensis passed 360,000 miles last summer. It did over 80,000 miles in the last 12 months while he waited for his new car.

80000 in a year 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Eddiefh said:

80000 in a year 

Yup. His job takes him many places. Most I have done in a year wasprobably 25,000 and that was in 2 cars.

• Like 2

my wifes mums 1987 corolla she bought brand new is still running perfectly. wifes sister has it now. as far as i know it's never gone wrong. she gets offers all the time on it asking if she wants to sell it.

think it's gone 200k km's.

• Like 2

On 1/24/2024 at 5:35 PM, talldave said:

I clocked up 200,000 miles.

Don't forget to claim your High Mile Club sticker!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Eddiefh said:

80000 in a year 

Pfft that's a weekend for TonyHSD :laugh: 

1 hour ago, Xanadu_999 said:

Oooh is that still a thing?

• Like 1

Hi all - Monday was a big day for my 1998 Mk1 Avensis (1.8 7A-FE) auto. I clocked up 200,000 miles. It's been a great car in the 18 years I've had it and has been really cheap to run - I've always serviced it myself and taken it to my local garage for the things I couldn't do. Just thought I'd share this with the Mk1 fans out there. I'm planning on replacing it it later this year - I'll be sad to see it go.

Avensis200k.jpg

Original engine and clutch (unlikely??)? Good effort, well done.

Original engine and no problems with it - just uses a liitle oil.

No clutch - it's an automatic 🙂.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, talldave said:

Original engine and no problems with it - just uses a liitle oil.

No clutch - it's an automatic 🙂.

Opps my bad, yes, sorry, missed the auto bit, good engineering though with these cars, mine is a 1.8 manual (hence my slip of the brain!) and, whilst its only done 64k it is like a Swiss Watch. Servicing is the key to it, so well done.

• Like 1

On 1/25/2024 at 2:39 PM, skidlid said:

damm thats the same one i have i really hope mine dose that .what about his dpf and epb did he have many problems with those would you ask for me bud. this would be the only reason why id get rid of mine as those are really expensive when they break 

On 1/25/2024 at 6:20 PM, Xanadu_999 said:

xanadu i love those pop up lights toyota celicia  is it a gt4 they are class 

just ask scotty kilmer about toyota's. he's the man.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Avensis200k.jpg

Brilliant! Great stuff!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

I'm a long way behind you...My '99 1.8 Avensis has only done 121K miles!!..Whilst on here ,would you or anyone else know where I can find the OEM code for a Driver's Seatbelt for the aforementioned Avensis🤔🤔Thank you in advance,Rob

• 3 weeks later...

I am on 155k now with my 1ZZ-FE engine

• Like 1

Congratulations Tall Dave, I've just hit 90,000 miles.

Since lockdown and my job changing to working from home I'm only doing around 4000 miles per year, and half of that towing a caravan.  So now I own a below average mileage car :)

I'm more worried about dormancy related failures rather than mileage now, but I don't want to change the car as it is perfect for me.  Still gets main dealer serviced, which has paid for itself easily with the warranty related stuff that has come up (bushes etc).

Only on going issue is a very slight air leak through a TPMS sensor, sets the alarm off every two to three months.

• Like 1

Guys quick question on the t27 say 2014 do you guys think the rust more than should do mine is kinda crispy I got it underseal 2 when bought it 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links