Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Cleaning up

Bper

After carrying the hoover out the house when needed to clean the inside of the car, it is cumbersome and if slightly wet on the drive I have to put it in the boot.

I think it is time to make things easier but after looking online there are a good few to choose from so can anyone recommend a decent cordless vacuum.😄

I have a Dyson cordless handheld, it’s ok and very powerful, good for 20 min ( less on high setting) it’s expensive though, I left mine in the garage last winter and it seemed to run for less, I thought the Battery was done but I took it into the house and the charge didn’t last, this winter I forgot but it still seems ok..I do also have a nilfisk vac which I keep in the garage (240v) it’s a wet n dry one but I don’t vacuum in the rain..😁

• Like 1

Agree about Dyson.  We have two.  A small hand held, 6 years old and original Battery and a DC8 also 6 years and third Battery.   The last is a Chinese knock off and so far very good. This is used every day.

The advantage of the DC8 is the attachments that help with cleaning a car

• Like 1

Well Dyson seem popular :laugh:

Grumpy huff here, nowt wrong with a tin dustpan and a ash and badger hair brush.

Dunno what's wrong with you young uns, honestly, what on earth did you you do before the vacuum cleaner was invented in 1901?

• Haha 5

With a dustpan and brush, you stir up and resettle almost as much dust as you collect.😃

As for vacuum cleaners, why do they have to make so many models for the simple operation of collecting dust and dirt.  Over the years we have had quite a few different types of vacuum cleaner, some better than others, but all have one thing in common - the manufacturers all overrate their products.

At the moment we have two cordless “stick” Dysons.  Fairly satisfactory, but ridiculously over priced.  Our other cleaner we have had for years - a Henry - generally used for heavy work, such as cleaning up after DIY work, and still very reliable.

The best was a Mele pull-along cleaner but, our’s being a small house, the cord was a tripping hazard and the body kept snagging against furniture. A bit heavy for my wife to handle, so we gave it to a granddaughter who has just set up home.

I remember, years ago, at an Ideal Home exhibition, a system was demonstrated where each room had a vacuum cleaner socket. The system had a central power unit and emptying point, and only a hose and tools were needed as one went around the house.  Didn’t catch on, though.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Rhymes with Paris said:

Grumpy huff here, nowt wrong with a tin dustpan and a ash and badger hair brush.

Dunno what's wrong with you young uns, honestly, what on earth did you you do before the vacuum cleaner was invented in 1901?

Well Mr Grumpy Huff, many of the vehicle's that I was fortunate to own in my teens did not need a vacuum cleaner for the interior, especially the carpets. My cars had a self cleaning mechanism built in and this technology was very advanced for it's time.

It worked on the basis that when a particular vehicle had reached a mature age then this was the optimum time to buy.

They came with conveniently placed strategic holes in the underside of the wings which allowed both additional ventilation along with an extremely effective method of allowing water to make it's way through.

Now this was where this design was really at it's most effective. The water that entered these holes was cleverly directed towards the upper side of the footwells which allowed the formation of additional holes and all these cleverly placed holes were called R.U.S.T which stood for Really Useful Strategic Transit.

Once these holes had been formed, the water from the road surface made it's way through both holes and into the footwell areas. Now a particularly heavy rainfall was an advantage as it would rapidly fill these footwells which in turn would automatically clean the carpets.

The beauty of this method was the non drying of the carpets. You are now no doubt intrigued to know how this water eventually dispersed.The vehicles had this very clever system designed into the bottom of the footwell areas known as grommets.

Once the water was allowed to settle on the carpets these rubber grommets would slowly wear down and would eventually fall out. This then allowed the egress of the water.

Some ot the vehicles that had this effective method at the time were known as Ford Anglia, Ford Cortina, Fiat and Alpha.

Unfortunately, modern vehicle design eliminated the need for this effective method and it is only available today on certain older models.

So I hope I have answered your very questionable comment regarding what's wrong with you “young uns” 😂

• Haha 7

Hi Bob.  I’ve had a few cars with this advanced technology, but I was too naive to appreciate it at the time.  I used to plug these ventilation holes with plastic padding and, where they were in visible parts of the bodywork, I spent hours just blending them in and painting them to hide my interference with the system.  But self repair features were built in to remedy such DIY attempts. The metal edges around the blocked vents would turn into a red crust which then crumbled and caused the plastic padding to fall out, making even larger vent holes to speed up the weathering service which I had fiddled with.

Of course, the crafty manufacturers galvanised the car bodies, rendering the ventilation holes ineffective so that we had to buy things like vacuum cleaners to do the work instead - some like Hyundai, even made vacuum cleaners to profit from the work which was then forced upon us.

• Haha 8

42 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Hi Bob.  I’ve had a few cars with this advanced technology, but I was too naive to appreciate it at the time.  I used to plug these ventilation holes with plastic padding and, where they were in visible parts of the bodywork, I spent hours just blending them in and painting them to hide my interference with the system.  But self repair features were built in to remedy such DIY attempts. The metal edges around the blocked vents would turn into a red crust which then crumbled and caused the plastic padding to fall out, making even larger vent holes to speed up the weathering service which I had fiddled with.

Of course, the crafty manufacturers galvanised the car bodies, rendering the ventilation holes ineffective so that we had to buy things like vacuum cleaners to do the work instead - some like Hyundai, even made vacuum cleaners to profit from the work which was then forced upon us.

Hi Albert, I'm glad another owner of these air-hole dynamically styled vehicles saw the effectiveness of the blend of design and mother nature.

I think what should be appreciated is the manufacturers of the 1970s and their forward thinking making cars which used rain water so effectively and combined the auto cleaning of the carpets and interior of their cars.

The magic was also how this water had the ability to change various panels on the car to a reddish colour which I suppose was the start of two tone paintwork.

These cars were certainly environmentally friendly for the time.😂

• Haha 5

30 minutes ago, Bper said:

These cars were certainly environmentally friendly for the time.😂

They were a helluva lot lighter, and lighter still after half the body rusted away.

Even with Albert's repair system, iirc filler was fairly light.

As was the close mesh chicken wire and newspaper I stuffed the wings on a 1963 HA Viva with in 1979.

A bit of black and white paint from the shed mixed together soon covered things up, and was only about 58 shades different from the original grey.

The thing was indestructible mechanically though, after oil and filters changed, I drove it to Germany and back and it still kept going.

The envious glances from the drivers of the then new out VW golf GTi on the autobahn were something to behold, well they were either envious or incredulous.

• Haha 6

Whatever you lot are smoking/drinking/sniffing I want some!! :laugh: 

• Haha 4

4 minutes ago, Cyker said:

Whatever you lot are smoking/drinking/sniffing I want some!! :laugh: 

It's easy enough to get some Cyker, just go down to your local hood, strawberry vapes from the local eh ko li food and wine store,mad dog 20/20 from the same place, make sure it's genuine and not a copy though.

And gorilla glue has good fumes, just don't get it on your fingers.

Any problems, just consult any Reebok/Adidas/Nike clad local, and they are sure to help.

• Haha 5

Government is banning flavoured vapes but homemade ones are available. Some of these are

marrow-wana

hair o win

Snack Coke cane😂

• Haha 5

13 hours ago, Bper said:

Government is banning flavoured vapes but homemade ones are available. Some of these are

marrow-wana

hair o win

Snack Coke cane😂

You can get plenty of aromas just from your car. Just inhale deeply whilst:

(1) Standing behind car with engine ticking over.

(2) Stick head out of window and operate washers - whilst stationary, of course.

(3) Extract dipstick and pass under nose.

(4) Place nose close to tyre valve whilst releasing air.

(5) when changing a wheel, place head under car mudguard - especially if having recently driven on country roads.

One best to strictly avoid, though, is to drive dangerously with a nervous passenger!

• Haha 3

I used to have a Hillman Avenger that had built in drainage holes, especially in the drivers footwell. However, when driving, I had to put a piece of wood over the drainage hole to stop my foot slipping through the hole! 

• Haha 3

14 minutes ago, dannyboy413 said:

I used to have a Hillman Avenger that had built in drainage holes, especially in the drivers footwell. However, when driving, I had to put a piece of wood over the drainage hole to stop my foot slipping through the hole! 

David, I had a car like that my wife called it Flintstone 😂

• Haha 2

A bit hard on the soles of the shoes though.

• Haha 2

16 hours ago, dannyboy413 said:

That reminds me of my father's Morris 1000 in the1960's. It was so rusty you could see the road rushing beneath the car when you were sat on the back seat.  One day he pulled on the handbrake so violently (he could never anything gently) he pulled the whole mechanism out of the floor.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/29/2024 at 4:35 PM, Bper said:

Well Mr Grumpy Huff, many of the vehicle's that I was fortunate to own in my teens did not need a vacuum cleaner for the interior, especially the carpets. My cars had a self cleaning mechanism built in and this technology was very advanced for it's time.

It worked on the basis that when a particular vehicle had reached a mature age then this was the optimum time to buy.

They came with conveniently placed strategic holes in the underside of the wings which allowed both additional ventilation along with an extremely effective method of allowing water to make it's way through.

Now this was where this design was really at it's most effective. The water that entered these holes was cleverly directed towards the upper side of the footwells which allowed the formation of additional holes and all these cleverly placed holes were called R.U.S.T which stood for Really Useful Strategic Transit.

Once these holes had been formed, the water from the road surface made it's way through both holes and into the footwell areas. Now a particularly heavy rainfall was an advantage as it would rapidly fill these footwells which in turn would automatically clean the carpets.

The beauty of this method was the non drying of the carpets. You are now no doubt intrigued to know how this water eventually dispersed.The vehicles had this very clever system designed into the bottom of the footwell areas known as grommets.

Once the water was allowed to settle on the carpets these rubber grommets would slowly wear down and would eventually fall out. This then allowed the egress of the water.

Some ot the vehicles that had this effective method at the time were known as Ford Anglia, Ford Cortina, Fiat and Alpha.

Unfortunately, modern vehicle design eliminated the need for this effective method and it is only available today on certain older models.

So I hope I have answered your very questionable comment regarding what's wrong with you “young uns” 😂

Absolutely hilarious!!! 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 1/29/2024 at 7:23 PM, Rhymes with Paris said:

They were a helluva lot lighter, and lighter still after half the body rusted away.

Even with Albert's repair system, iirc filler was fairly light.

As was the close mesh chicken wire and newspaper I stuffed the wings on a 1963 HA Viva with in 1979.

A bit of black and white paint from the shed mixed together soon covered things up, and was only about 58 shades different from the original grey.

The thing was indestructible mechanically though, after oil and filters changed, I drove it to Germany and back and it still kept going.

The envious glances from the drivers of the then new out VW golf GTi on the autobahn were something to behold, well they were either envious or incredulous.

You're killing me...!!! 🤣🤣🤣

• Like 1

On 2/1/2024 at 8:50 PM, dannyboy413 said:

😱

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links