Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Sadiq's Unwanted Vehicles

Bper

27 minutes ago, Mjolinor said:

SUV body styling is known to be less friendly to pedestrians in case of accident.

That alone is sufficient reason to penalise owners in my opinion.

Bonnet air bags are probably a fix so it would be unfair to blanket apply any sort of penalty but it does allow for more paper pushing so that is probably a good thing in the eyes of the powers that be.

There you go again.  All of the larger cars, regardless of style, are less friendly to pedestrians because they tend to “hit” the person rather than cause them to slide over the bonnet.  Also, many manufacturers are making a lot of their models blunt-fronted, so that would cause a more solid strike against a person.

My own SUV - a 2021 C-HR - is not a large car, and the bonnet has a distinct sloping front.  Strangely, from what I have seen, the 2024 C-HR appears to have gone more towards this bluntness. 

What annoys me is that this safety concern always points at cars - large commercial vehicles, such as buses and lorries, will be more likely to kill on contact.  And these drivers are just as capable of causing an accident as a car driver - they are probably also car drivers when off duty - and pedestrians also have a responsibility to behave sensibly on the public highway.

As for cars, the funny thing is, the money grabbing local authorities and the government seem to think that applying a financial charge automatically improves safety.  If they really want to keep pedestrians safe, why not have, in the event of an accident, a one month “enquiry” suspension for the driver, with the proviso that, if the pedestrian is found to be at fault, he/she has to pay compensation to the driver of the vehicle.

• Like 2

On 2/4/2024 at 10:43 PM, Cyker said:

Ahh, like he had no plans to extend the ULEZ again up to the M25... so expect this in a few months then...?

you're on the money right there...!

On 2/5/2024 at 8:01 PM, Haliotis said:

It is also possible that manufacturers call a car a SUV because they feel this ‘badge’ attracts potential customers more than “hatchback”

I'd agree with that comment. In the UK such vehicles used to be estate cars...that was until some oaf(s) decided the UK should follow the US and use that stupid term "SUV". I don't see anything remotely sport utilitarian about the majority of those so-classed vehicles. We should go back to the days of estate cars or hatchbacks...anything but "SUV" - though, sadly, I don't see that happening...at all.

• Like 3

Oh, come on, Tee-J.  Ban the term SUV?  You’ll have Sad Sick Khan and all his local authority money-grabbers having nightmares.

• Haha 3

4 hours ago, Haliotis said:

Oh, come on, Tee-J.  Ban the term SUV?  You’ll have Sad Sick Khan and all his local authority money-grabbers having nightmares.

...and that'll serve 'em right...the money-grabbing ho*****s...!! 😠

😂

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links