Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

MK1 Aygo Valve Stem Seals

sands030905

We have had an Aygo for a couple of years for the eldest son to drive as his 1st car and now passed down to 2nd son to start using in a couple of weeks he's changed oil filters etc today to learn what's what.

Car is pretty good tbh, perfect 1st car & want to prolong life as much as we can, 3rd son will be 17 in 18 months and perfect to pass down again.

High oil consumption since owning, no drama really, just check regularly and top up.

But I work with a lad who used to be a car mechanic, now works on plant machinery, has diagnosed valve stem oil seals need replacing, camera and compression test completed.

Advised there is a method to replace without a complete tear down, anyone done this before and can share the method?

Mk1 - 2005 130000 miles

Thanks

I don't see how; The head has to be removed to get at the valves, and while that might not require the whole engine to be removed, it's still pretty invasive!

You are pulling the cams to get at the valve stems, so why not pull the head while you're in there lap the valves do a cam chain kit and water pump

what are the compression reading across the 3 ? As the early engine can suffer from piston rings getting stuck, an issue its Daihatsu predecessor (EJ-VE) has

PCV valves are a common issue (failed non return valve) can cause oil burning and wet intake valves

imho i would check the PCV valve as it's free to look and not that expensive to replace

Genuine ones are £36 12204-40030

• Like 1

Oh valve stem seals! I didn't read properly; Maybe that would only require the head cover to be removed...?

16 hours ago, Cyker said:

Oh valve stem seals! I didn't read properly; Maybe that would only require the head cover to be removed...?

You need to pull the cams to access the buckets (lifters) and springs as the valves are inline with the cams

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/19-10-20_faq_kr-engine_eng.htm

1209832580_1krvvtivalve1.thumb.jpg.9acf8ae20ac775cc59cdd80c3f06e445.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 1

I suggest you to use Engine OiL Stop Leak product maybe valve stem seals getting soft and reduce oil consumption. 

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the replies.

2nd son started his mechanic apprenticeship this week, so will be a job for him when he knows more what he's doing, definitely not a job for me.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links