Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Auris 2011 boot Lock problem

RL519299

The boot (rear door) catch erratically unlatches to the first, safety position, without opening the boot as such.  This happens usually when the system is fired up and causes an annoying flag and warning sound.  Initially this was diagnosed as a faulty boot switch, but this was replaced without curing the fault.  I am advised it could be a wiring fault but the cost of a diagnosis is excessive and open ended, so I wonder if anyone has seen this and knows the reason?

Hi Richard, Did you have unlatching issue before it was diagnosed as a faulty switch. If you did and they changed it then how was the fault with the switch. Changing the switch hasn't resolved the problem and it sounds like it is a wiring fault.

They should of checked the wiring for any faults before changing the switch to confirm the problem. Was this a Toyota dealer or local mechanic.?:smile:

Sounds like the wire carrying the unlock switch signal is shorting to ground intermittently, causing the erratic behaviour.

Could be a wire break in the rubber conduit leading to the hatch. Try giving that a tug to see if it helps dislodge the faulty path to ground.

The other fault could be with the latch position detector switch. In which case it would be a latch swapout.

Either way Should be fairly easy for any auto electrician to diagnose. I would avoid the previous garage.

Hi, and thanks for your interest.  I'm scouting prices for the detector switch, and will try the incoming wiring as you suggest.  The previous garage was the main dealer!!

On 2/9/2024 at 5:46 PM, Bper said:

Hi Richard, Did you have unlatching issue before it was diagnosed as a faulty switch. If you did and they changed it then how was the fault with the switch. Changing the switch hasn't resolved the problem and it sounds like it is a wiring fault.

They should of checked the wiring for any faults before changing the switch to confirm the problem. Was this a Toyota dealer or local mechanic.?:smile:

Hi. Thanks for this useful information.  Yes the problem had persisted for a while before the (mis) diagnosis of the switch.  It was the main dealer!!

Hi Richard, IMO I see the issue with your dealer. Was this work done recently.

No doubt you paid for this new switch and labour and what was identified on the invoice along with any details of their original diagnosis.

When you picked the car up from the dealer did they at the time inform you that they had or hadn't resolved the problem.?

I do not understand why you are scouting for prices when you paid for this to be done by the main dealer and their own diagnosis was a faulty switch and you have paid good money but been left to resolve this yourself. I would take it back as you paid for it to be rectified, is this not their job.:smile:

Hi. Thanks for this useful information.  Yes the problem had persisted for a while before the (mis) diagnosis of the switch.  It was the main dealer!!  Sorry, put the reply in the wrong place

Bob, because of the extortionate price quoted for the switch I bought a new one and had it fitted by a different garage.  They told me it had not worked so I took it back to Main dealer who offered diagnostics at a high price which I declined. I am scouting for the latch position detector switch, not the boot switch which I am confident is OK.  The car is not, of course under warranty now.

I doubt if latch switch will be seviceable. Sourcing a used latch assembly might be your best and easiest option if new is too expensive.

• 3 weeks later...

Found a boot latch at a good price and having it fitted next week.  Fingers crossed and I will report back for those interested.

• 2 weeks later...

The new latch was fitted this morning and the wiring into the boot checked.  This made no difference.  Latest opinion is that the management system responsible for the central locking and smart locking has developed a glitch.  I wonder if this can be reprogramed?

• Like 1

Hi Richard, sorry to hear that changing the lock didn't resolve the problem I think you could be right its likely since changing the lock it now points to an issue with the electronic system that controls the central locking, not the lock itself.

It's possible a glitch in the software could be sending incorrect signals, causing the boot latch to unlock briefly at start up.There could be a faulty component like a circuit board or a sensor that's sending erroneous signals. 

While you've had the wiring checked, there's a chance a more subtle wiring issue could be causing intermittent malfunctions that weren't caught during the inspection.Since the lock itself has been replaced, the problem likely lies within the central locking electronics. Depending on the year and model it's possible the central locking system can be reprogrammed but I would check with Toyota service.

IMO I would also get a couple of quotes for this as this type of repair as it can be expensive.:smile:

.Hi Bob and thanks again for your continued interest.  I've de-activated and reactivated the smart locking system but this has made no difference.  So, will try to get some quotes - contacted Toyota head office but they've referred me to local main dealer, so full circle!

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links