Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Smelly Mats?

Bper

Have been looking at changing the floor mats and was considering rubber ones but was wondering if they are a good alternative these days. I remember having these years ago and the rubber smell seemed a little nauseous obviously when new.

I bought my pre-owned C-HR last April and, as a present, our S-I-L bought me a set of 4 floor mats and a boot liner. They were not sourced from a Toyota dealer, but are obviously of good quality and never emitted any noticeable odour from new.

These products, along with tyres, have oils in their mix during manufacture and, especially in hot weather, can dispel minute vapours from the product.  These can be toxic, and in some cases carcinogenic, therefore I would advise to always buy good quality rubber mats.

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

I bought my pre-owned C-HR last April and, as a present, our S-I-L bought me a set of 4 floor mats and a boot liner. They were not sourced from a Toyota dealer, but are obviously of good quality and never emitted any noticeable odour from new.

These products, along with tyres, have oils in their mix during manufacture and, especially in hot weather, can dispel minute vapours from the product.  These can be toxic, and in some cases carcinogenic, therefore I would advise to always buy good quality rubber mats.

Hi Albert, I wasn't aware about the toxic side of these mats but you learn something new everyday. I was a concerned about the smell of the rubber but it's good to know.👍

13 hours ago, Bper said:

Hi Albert, I wasn't aware about the toxic side of these mats but you learn something new everyday. I was a concerned about the smell of the rubber but it's good to know.👍

Hi Bob, cheap plastic boxes for pistol drills and the like can also be suspect.  Some years ago I bought a router from B&Q.  After handling its storage box I noticed blue dye on my hands, so I took it back to B&Q.  They manager shared my concern, kept the box for disposal, and gave me a quality pull-along tool chest for storing the router and its associated collection of cutters.

I am also wary if I find a smell remaining on my hands after handling plastic storage boxes, or any tools with plastic parts.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Hi Bob, cheap plastic boxes for pistol drills and the like can also be suspect.  Some years ago I bought a router from B&Q.  After handling its storage box I noticed blue dye on my hands, so I took it back to B&Q.  They manager shared my concern, kept the box for disposal, and gave me a quality pull-along tool chest for storing the router and its associated collection of cutters.

I am also wary if I find a smell remaining on my hands after handling plastic storage boxes, or any tools with plastic parts.

Hi Albert, it's true we really have no idea what's in these products and unknown toxins that may be present. Still not to worry as they will be putting fluoride in our water soon so doubt it won't really matter.☹️

Hi Bob.  I think artificial flavourings in food are one of the most dubious features of “modern life”.  The E numbers can mean anything the food chemists come up with, and relevant E numbers only being banned if and when a substance is considered a threat to health.  I thought most toothpastes now have fluoride added to the mix, so isn’t putting it in water now a bit OTT?

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

Hi Bob.  I think artificial flavourings in food are one of the most dubious features of “modern life”.  The E numbers can mean anything the food chemists come up with, and relevant E numbers only being banned if and when a substance is considered a threat to health.  I thought most toothpastes now have fluoride added to the mix, so isn’t putting it in water now a bit OTT?

A bit off topic of course but it does raise serious questions that many people are unaware of but more importantly the health concerns associated with fluoride. As an example have a read of this link regarding the issues of fluoride in the USA. This has been highlighted many times in the past and is worrying.

Regarding fluoride in toothpaste, if the parents took responsibility with their children's health and wellbeing and ensured they cleaned their teeth and stopped eating high sugar foods then there would be no need to put this in our water. Regardless you really have to look at what other chemicals are already being added to our water.☹️

https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news/federal-lawsuit-could-limit-fluoride-drinking-water

I feel the whole fluoride thing is very misunderstood; The fact that they'd put it in water just boggles the mind!

The whole reason fluoride is in toothpaste is it reacts with the calcium in your teeth and forms a very thin but much more chemically resistant layer which protects the rest of the tooth from acidic things like fruit juice.

That's why it's important to brush the toothpaste into every nook and cranny of your teeth, maybe swish it around a bit, and give it a bit of time so it can do its work. This is why some people brush their teeth before eating - To get that protection before exposing the teeth to food.

Ingesting it isn't really beneficial beyond that, not for your teeth anyway, so I don't know why anyone thinks putting it in drinking water is a good idea!

Sugar isn't actually that bad for your teeth - The enzymes in your saliva are designed to rip it to bits for easier processing in the stomach so unless you're going full diabetes on your sugar intake it usually gets broken down quickly enough to not cause problems. It's starch that is worse for teeth - Crisps and such - that doesn't get broken down as quickly by your saliva like sugar does, so it hangs around longer. The issue with both is if they stay in your mouth too long, other oral bacteria gets to consume them and its the waste products from those that start to cause tooth decay.

That's why chewing gum was been promoted as being good for your teeth - It helps produce more saliva which can then continue to break down any sugars hiding in the recesses of your mouth.

Incidentally this is why I consider things like baking soda and charcoal toothpastes a bit of a scam - They help clean teeth, but without fluoride they're just eroding more of the tooth surface and don't provide that chemically resistant layer and can actually accelerate tooth decay, as it's like power-polishing your car and then not putting on a coat of wax or sealant so the clear coat just gets thinner and thinner.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I feel the whole fluoride thing is very misunderstood; The fact that they'd put it in water just boggles the mind!

The whole reason fluoride is in toothpaste is it reacts with the calcium in your teeth and forms a very thin but much more chemically resistant layer which protects the rest of the tooth from acidic things like fruit juice.

That's why it's important to brush the toothpaste into every nook and cranny of your teeth, maybe swish it around a bit, and give it a bit of time so it can do its work. This is why some people brush their teeth before eating - To get that protection before exposing the teeth to food.

Ingesting it isn't really beneficial beyond that, not for your teeth anyway, so I don't know why anyone thinks putting it in drinking water is a good idea!

Sugar isn't actually that bad for your teeth - The enzymes in your saliva are designed to rip it to bits for easier processing in the stomach so unless you're going full diabetes on your sugar intake it usually gets broken down quickly enough to not cause problems. It's starch that is worse for teeth - Crisps and such - that doesn't get broken down as quickly by your saliva like sugar does, so it hangs around longer. The issue with both is if they stay in your mouth too long, other oral bacteria gets to consume them and its the waste products from those that start to cause tooth decay.

That's why chewing gum was been promoted as being good for your teeth - It helps produce more saliva which can then continue to break down any sugars hiding in the recesses of your mouth.

Incidentally this is why I consider things like baking soda and charcoal toothpastes a bit of a scam - They help clean teeth, but without fluoride they're just eroding more of the tooth surface and don't provide that chemically resistant layer and can actually accelerate tooth decay, as it's like power-polishing your car and then not putting on a coat of wax or sealant so the clear coat just gets thinner and thinner.

Are you taking NHS patients 😂

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Cyker said:

I don't mind that they put fluoride in the water, it worries me more that they deliver the water into my 1970's estate in asbestos/cement pipes 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Parts-King said:

I don't mind that they put fluoride in the water, it worries me more that they deliver the water into my 1970's estate in asbestos/cement pipes 🤦‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Interesting article on asbestos pipes.🙂

https://piperepair.co.uk/2021/01/15/asbestos-cement-pipe-and-its-impact-on-drinking-water/

We went through a phase of lots of water pipe burst in a very hot period, I complained to United Utilities about it as one of their engineers told me about the type of pipes. Of course the pipe is repaired with PP plastic pipe, but they don't replace the whole estate, just a repaired section. We also had ridiculously high water pressure, about 12 bar at the house, the have now lowered that to about 3 bar. 

• Like 1

At one time, all domestic water pipes were supplied through lead piping.  Then lead became the bad man in the world of health - for brain damage, if I recall correctly.

Our previous home was built in 1910, and the whole water system was plumbed in lead pipes.   When we bought the house in 1972, it still had lead pipes.  The previous owner (a widow) had brought up two children in that house - her son became a solicitor with his own practice, and her daughter was a teacher in London.

During the purchase of they house, the widow (in her 80’s) told us she had registered for evening classes in woodwork. Her late husband did not die from medical reasons - he died from a fall which fractured his skull.

I grew up in homes supplied by lead pipes.  So much for the “dangers” from lead pipes.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Haliotis said:

At one time, all domestic water pipes were supplied through lead piping.  Then lead became the bad man in the world of health - for brain damage, if I recall correctly.

Our previous home was built in 1910, and the whole water system was plumbed in lead pipes.   When we bought the house in 1972, it still had lead pipes.  The previous owner (a widow) had brought up two children in that house - her son became a solicitor with his own practice, and her daughter was a teacher in London.

During the purchase of they house, the widow (in her 80’s) told us she had registered for evening classes in woodwork. Her late husband did not die from medical reasons - he died from a fall which fractured his skull.

I grew up in homes supplied by lead pipes.  So much for the “dangers” from lead pipes.

I wonder how many people who went to the doctor's years ago didn't realise they actually had lead poisoning as the symptoms are many and may without a blood test been diagnosed as something else. They say it was rare but who would really know how many suffered from it.

It was in mind the blue asbestos issue that became apparent years later after exposure was of more concern. 🙂

As technology expands, many previous cause-and-effect opinions become either fine tuned or changed.  Medicines, prognosis and treatment are no different in this respect.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links