Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris fuel consumption

badsneakers

I have owned a 2018 Yaris Icon 1.5 hybrid for nearly 3 years. Mainly urban driving, some longer trips. The fuel consumption has always been showing 60-70 mpg "since refuel" until a few months ago. I filled up a nearly empty tank, since then consumption has been stuck at 40-45mpg. I thought the display might be wrong, so next time I filled up I checked petrol used and mileage manually and it matches the display. Toyota have run diagnostics, and tell me there is nothing wrong. This dramatic increase in consumption seemed to happen overnight, I feel that something must have changed.

Has anyone else had a similar problem? 

The car is getting 60-70 mpg even during winter?

I've rarely seen mine as low as that but in very cold weather on the odd occasion yes. Has your car been serviced regulaly by the  Toyota dealership.?? 

That sort of variation summer to winter is typical of these hybrids. The more you use/turn up the heat in winter the worse it gets.

40-45 does seem a bit low, but that could just be your heating, driving and traffic.

This is my consumption over a couple of years. I'm a fairly economical driver and don't spend much time in traffic which could account for any difference. (These are all fill to fill measurements. I never look at the car's readings.)

MPG chart.JPG

• Like 1

That last very cold winter we had, I spent a lot of time not moving (Yay London traffic) with the heatin on and the engine was just running constantly and that really hurt the mpg so it can happen.

However, this winter has been very mild overall down here, and today is warm enough I'm back in a T-shirt!

My initial guesses are tyre pressures are low, or one of your brakes is stuck on. Ideally if you can get it on a lift and spin the wheels to see if they spin freely or not, otherwise hold your hands near the discs after a journey to see if any of them feel a lot hotter than the other or looks different to the others (shinier, discoloured from heat etc.)

It may also be you've been a bit unlucky with bad fuel - Can chuck a tank of V-Power or Synergy in and see if that makes any difference.

Does the car feel different? Like if it's more sluggish than usual etc.

23 hours ago, badsneakers said:

The fuel consumption has always been showing 60-70 mpg "since refuel" until a few months ago. I filled up a nearly empty tank, since then consumption has been stuck at 40-45mpg. I

Like you my driving is mainly urban and i get been between 40 and 50 i have never got to 60 

43 minutes ago, Max_Headroom said:

Like you my driving is mainly urban and i get been between 40 and 50 i have never got to 60 

Is yours a hybrid ?  Because the OP’s is.

Recent shortish runs (10 miles +/-) with AC and heat on and returning 59 according to the screen. Mainly main roads 50/60 mph limits South Cambs. With Ac/heat on getting around 35% of a journey on Battery. Turned the AC off and limited myself to 45 mph and got as high as 80% Battery. People behind me on A10 weren't as happy though 😂🤣

1 hour ago, Graham47 said:

Is yours a hybrid ?  Because the OP’s is.

Oops missed that no mine is not hybrid.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links