Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Advice Please Petrol Fuel Injection Cleaner

marlinleg

Hello to one and all. My Cars in for 2nd service Dealer emailed me "Genuine Toyota High Quality Petrol Fuel Injection Cleaner 500ml PZ46300PB004 £29.99p"  Toyota eBay £15.99p plus £2:99p postage . RAV4 17months old 12,400 miles fuel for the past 10 months Sainsbury's super unleaded E5 . Advice please and will it have instruction if I buy direct . Thank you

Keep money in bank or if you really want to buy some go to local motor factors it’ll be around £6-£10 tops

There are cheaper alternatives from established names (Redex, Wynns, etc) costing from around £5 ......

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, FROSTYBALLS said:

There are cheaper alternatives from established names (Redex, Wynns, etc) costing from around £5 ......

Redex works well

• Like 1

I use Redex occasionaly its sold in most high street shops that have a car section just to name a few Tesco, Morrisons & Boyes. You can pick it up on special offer for under a £5 for 250ml or two sufficent for two tanks of fuel treatment.

Instead of using additives spend your money on premium fuels such as Vpower. Only £1.47litre where I live for Shell Vpower or BP Ultimate. 

At our local Tesco Extra, Redex is currently £2.50 (Clubcard price) for a two shot bottle - one shot per full tank.

9 hours ago, Flatcoat said:

Instead of using additives spend your money on premium fuels such as Vpower. Only £1.47litre where I live for Shell Vpower or BP Ultimate. 

At 12k+ miles I would have thought a fuel system cleaner at that sort of money to be a complete waste. I'm with Flatcoat, put in a tankful of Shell Vpower and that will suffice.

43 minutes ago, GBgraham said:

At 12k+ miles I would have thought a fuel system cleaner at that sort of money to be a complete waste. I'm with Flatcoat, put in a tankful of Shell Vpower and that will suffice.

I simply use it all the time. 

Thank you all. I was thinking if it's so important why is it not included in the service.and a quote from a leading Motoring Magazine "In general, these additives work best on older engines " thank you again 

In general it's the dealer trying to make extra bucks😉

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Flatcoat said:

I simply use it all the time. 

I'm not too sure on the long term benefits financially and I'm not up on fuel price differences back in old blighty but if it's cost effective, why not.

I have used premium fuel (diesel or petrol) for over 20 years. I can cover high mileages in my cars with 150,000 miles not uncommon. Never had to replace an injector, fuel pump or need a DPF replacing. Quite often when MOTing those high mileage cars the exhaust emissions have been hardly changed from those quoted for a new car. I am also convinced there are economy, performance and smooth running benefits too. 

1 hour ago, Flatcoat said:

I have used premium fuel (diesel or petrol) for over 20 years. I can cover high mileages in my cars with 150,000 miles not uncommon. Never had to replace an injector, fuel pump or need a DPF replacing. Quite often when MOTing those high mileage cars the exhaust emissions have been hardly changed from those quoted for a new car. I am also convinced there are economy, performance and smooth running benefits too. 

We have used "regular" petrol and diesel since the late 80's (when we first got a cars that ran unleaded) which is now 35 years. Never used any additives or expensive 98 RON fuels and only stray from supermarket fuel when we are away on holiday and there are no supermarkets.

In those 35 years we have had zero fuel system problems. No injectors, no cats, no DPF's etc etc. The highest mileage car was on over 110,000 when it had its last MOT with us and the garage complimented us on how close to factory the emissions were.

So keep your money in your pocket and simply use the cheapest petrol/diesel that any supermarket locally sells. All that is required is the simple fact it meets the BS EN standard which in the UK all pump fuels do.

Don't waste your hard earned on posh fuels and additives, if they were necessary Toyota (and other brands) would make them a warranty requirement. Most handbooks tell you not to use additives since BS EN fuel contains all that is necessary.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, marlinleg said:

My Cars in for 2nd service ...

RAV4 17months old 12,400 miles

fuel for the past 10 months Sainsbury's super unleaded E5

I'm confused - I'm probably missing something ...

A RAV at 17 months and 12,400 miles shouldn't need it's second service for another 7 months or 7,600 miles (unless the first service was done ridiculously early).

The engine is designed to run on standard E10 and that's really all we need to give it. No additives are required at all. You've been feeding it E5 which is generous, more than it requires, and certainly won't do it any harm at all.

If you had been running on basic E10 (as I do) then there could well be a case for an occasional tank of E5 or premium fuel as a 'treat' to keep everything as sweet as it can be. I generally fill with Tesco's E10 but occasionally swap to Tesco Momentum E5 - more because it makes me feel good than for any benefit that doing so gives the car.

I really do understand those who use Shell premium fuel (V-power) - that was the only fuel that I would put into my diesel RAV - but I can't see a strong case for doing so with my current petrol RAV. Each to his / her own, of course ...

10 minutes ago, skidlid said:

We have used "regular" petrol and diesel since the late 80's (when we first got a cars that ran unleaded) which is now 35 years. Never used any additives or expensive 98 RON fuels and only stray from supermarket fuel when we are away on holiday and there are no supermarkets.

In those 35 years we have had zero fuel system problems. No injectors, no cats, no DPF's etc etc. The highest mileage car was on over 110,000 when it had its last MOT with us and the garage complimented us on how close to factory the emissions were.

So keep your money in your pocket and simply use the cheapest petrol/diesel that any supermarket locally sells. All that is required is the simple fact it meets the BS EN standard which in the UK all pump fuels do.

Don't let the bullies get you wasting your hard earned on posh fuels and additives, if they were necessary Toyota (and other brands) would make them a warranty requirement. Most handbooks tell you not to use additives since BS EN fuel contains all that is necessary.

90’s not 80’s

I have a nephew who is race engineer and team leader for one of United Racings LMP teams. United Racing are part owned by McClaren of F1 fame. He gets involved with their fuel suppliers and specifications. He will also only use premium fuels in his personal car. Supermarket fuel is like cheap supermarket bread, it meets the minimum legal requirements. There are however much better tasting and fulfilling breads. Same with fuel. Why do people spend 10’s of thousands on a car and then penny pinch on the fuel it needs to power it. My comments are also my advice and experiences from almost 50 years of motoring, often undertaking engine rebuilds myself, and owning over 50 cars in that time. 

• Like 1

Philip42h thank you great advice I purchased my  car from Toyota Dealership it was the Fleet Manger's demo . When I purchased it it was 8 months old  and 3,400 miles they did a full service  so it cars coming up to service so it going in a little early 

ref Shell super fuels Which Magazine did a 1 minute video link below 

https://www.which.co.uk/reviews/new-and-used-cars/article/supermarket-petrol-quality-what-you-need-to-know-aWlmN3O20LKI?utm_source=LexusOwnersClubUK&utm_medium=ForumLinks

Philip42h thank you great advice which I will follow . I purchased the car from a Toyota Dealership it was ex demo the Fleet managers it was 8 month's old so they gave it a service at 3,400 miles so it's do at 13,400 . Ref super fuels Which Magazine did a 1 min video on Supermarket v the the rest link below 

IMG_4143.thumb.jpeg.4e3a52561fc02d98c8973f5d53eab9a4.jpeg

Been 10 days - 2 week and a fuel injector treatment post were geezer says he uses e5 has turned into a fuel discussion ; last one turned into handbags at dawn 

• Haha 1

I had 3 friends who were all petrol tanker drivers, all for different companies. Regularly they would be in the same queue at the refineries, waiting to fill up from the same pipe. 

1 hour ago, Yorkboy said:

I had 3 friends who were all petrol tanker drivers, all for different companies. Regularly they would be in the same queue at the refineries, waiting to fill up from the same pipe. 

Have followed the same tanker travel from the Shell station just outside town to ASDA in town. The only difference will be about £0.15 a litre.

Where I live Asda petrol is dearer than nearby Shell and BP……. 

10 hours ago, Paul john said:

90’s not 80’s

Do the maths. Late 80's eg 89 to 2024 = 35 years.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links