Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Ride Quality

Wheelyscott

Hello folks, new on here and looking to purchase a Corolla, a year or two old. I have and loved a SEAT Leon FR for the last 7 years which was a great car but the initial ride quality on 18" wheels and 40mm tyres was shockingly firm. I note that both the GR Sport and Excel trim both have 18" wheels. Is there a distinct difference in ride quality between the two? i would think that the GR Sport is set up on stiffer, sport like suspension. Any comments would be appreciated, i just wanted a higher spec than the Design and Icon though the former might be ok i guess on 17" wheels.

I've got a Design TS on 17" wheels and am happy with the ride quality. I would have had an Excel if the right car had been available at the time I was looking but having read comments on here about ride quality on 18" wheels I'm glad I didn't. 

AFAIK the GR Sport has the same suspension. The 'sporty' bit is purely looks.

• Like 2

I used to have an Auris excel on 17's and the ride wasn't that bad - that's the same size as the current design corolla.

18's I think are too big though, but an option might be an excel corolla with smaller wheels.

I've heard of dealers in Europe supplying cars with different wheels/tyres to standard. That's probably a dealer specific deal though rather than via Toyota. You can't order an excel with small wheels from the factory.

My Icon on 16's is great with the poor roads we have here.

• Like 1

No difference in suspension set up between Excel and GR Sport as far as I’m aware, GR Sport just offers a few touches of ‘bling’ that the Excel lacks and is arguably the best-looking Corolla with these touches. In my opinion the Excel offers far more for the money.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrackLink said:

No difference in suspension set up between Excel and GR Sport as far as I’m aware, GR Sport just offers a few touches of ‘bling’ that the Excel lacks and is arguably the best-looking Corolla with these touches. In my opinion the Excel offers far more for the money.

I’ve had a 2020 1.8, 2022 2.0 GR Sport, not a 2023 excel. Up to 2022 gr sport has the HUD now it’s moved to the Excel from 2023. Excel has better adaptive headlights but seats balloon in 2023 model, why Toyota changed them I’ve no idea. 
Excel from 2023 is the better choice for value as GRsport only has cosmetic differences and does not have, adaptive headlights (these really do work well), HUD & leather seats. 

• Like 1

Ride quality and tyre noise in Corolla with 18” wheels are the only let downs in these cars along with limited leg room on rear seats. Otherwise, best in class cars. 

• Like 1

The big tyres seems to be UK or maybe an European thing

It seems in US the top spec Crolla gets 16 inch tyres 

I really like the different colour seats they get in US. 

Very odd specs difference 

But I assume this is targeted for the specific market interests. In UK/Europe most people like the look of the car itself and are happy to sacrifice on comfort, tyre, fuel cost, etc....

What do you think 

As I've posted before I don't consider my '19 Excel to have a particularly harsh ride. It's firm, yes, and on local 'chip and tar' roads a bit noisy but nothing that I find to be particularly unusual.

Although I've changed the tyres since new I'm still using the same type of Falken.

57 minutes ago, AndrueC said:

As I've posted before I don't consider my '19 Excel to have a particularly harsh ride. It's firm, yes, and on local 'chip and tar' roads a bit noisy but nothing that I find to be particularly unusual.

Although I've changed the tyres since new I'm still using the same type of Falken.

I can assure you that if you put another brand rubber or smaller size wheels and premium touring tyres you will be pleasantly surprised by how much difference is in terms of road noise and harshness. 
When I test drive recently a Corolla excel coming from my Auris with 16” wheels I was in shock by how different is Corolla in comparison to my Auris , then after 30 min test drive went immediately back to the Auris and for me was like I am driving a totally different car, Lexus or bmw , Mercedes’ like , smoother, quieter, with nice soft feel , where Corolla  was like it drives on wheels only without any tyres. Corolla though has better cabin insulation. 

• Like 1

The ride seems fine as it is. If I ever find myself in the position of needing to replace all four tyres at the same time I will consider other brands but so far I've replaced a pair at a time so I prefer to stay with Falkens.

• Like 2

My take is the profile of the tyre matter more, if they put 225/50/18 then it will be just as good as my 16" Yaris. 

• Like 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links