Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

stuck throttle body due to location of gear oil dipstick

sculpturetim

Hi there, 

Ive gota 2002 mark 1 yaris vvti 1.3 petrol 1299cc automatic hatchback,

Due to suspected problems with the throttle body im trying to remove it to see if i can clean and refit the throttle body including the idle control valve.

Im struggling to remove it without moving the gear oil dipstick tube. This is bolted in 2 places to the chassis and one other place. after removing the bolts the dipstick will just about push over to the side, however im worried i might cause further damage  and possible leakage of gear oil if i am too rough with it. I cant seem to find any specific info on the gearbox oil dipstick tube and how it connects to the gear box and whether it is ok to lean it away from the trottle body, it was stiff now has some movement in it. perhaps it can rotate on an o ring.  Can anyone advise me?

my haynes manual doesnt mention it in regard to the throttle body removal, due to access i cant see how i could do it withouht moving the dipstick tube,

any ideas?

many Thanks

Tim

dipstick tube and throttle body.jpg

back the nuts off and unscrew the studs they look to be e-torx - If you are having running issues with no codes check for vacuum leaks, especially around 3 and 4 where the manifold meets the head (start engine, spray brake clean or carb cleaner in those areas)

given the age the o-ring gasket can go crispy causing vac leaks - another common issue is the OCV valve - check the resistance - remove and clean the OCV and Its Filter in the back of the head

• Like 1

Many thanks for the reply Flash,

i was worried to try that (back the nuts off and unscrew the studs they look to be e-torx) as the captive nuts are held in what looks like might be black plastic, and if they dont come easy i fear i might break the plastic mount that holds the square steel nuts that hold the torx studs, I can see some rust on the square captive nuts, I have already sprayed them with wd- 40,  maybe i should nervously try them...

are you suggesting movement on the unbolted dipstick tube would be a bad move?

i have bought a new gasket for the throttle body and the idle control valve supplied from toyota.

i did ask toyota about an o ring  2" approx diameter , they dont sell one?  i have seenone mentiond before  as it may not be reusable ,l found the one in the pictuire on eBay.

I have been getting a P0172 code on my OBDII code reader.

i will try to learn about the OCV valve as im not familiar with that part...

Many thanks for you consideration

Tim

IMG_3816.jpg

IMG_3815.jpg

o ring gasket.jpg

P0172 is bank 1 to rich, have a look at your fuel trims and o2 readings also check the CTS (coolant temp)

• 3 weeks later...

update:  I managed to extract the studs and thouroughly clean, test then finally replace with a new throttle body, Sadly it didnt make any difference, apart from its a bit more shiny.

I bought a new obd2 reader with live view and discovered the 02 sensors look like they are working normally, however the LONGFT1(%) -45.3 and SHRTFT!(%)-7.8

that doesnt sound right , any ideas?

im stlll getting p0172 , after clearing it takes between 10-40m mins of driving to light up again.

I have lack of acceleration from a stop( then leaps forward like a delayed response to pushing the accelerator i find myself pumping the pedal to get it going, or in traffic just pressing and waiting for the power to come 1-2 seconds later.

however acceleration at faster speeds seem smooth ? 

obd2 reader screenshot.JPG

that means the engine is very rich and it trying to pull fuel, start by checking your o2 sensors if it goes away once warm it could be a bad heater and a failing sensor look at your o2 readings

Hi Flash,

Thanks for the response,   Actually thats what i thought too...?

so i bought a new pe cat denso 02 sensor to replace the cheapo eBay knockoff one that i had previously fitted ( i couldn't get any resistance when i tested it with a multimeter potentially indicating a bad heater so i changed it for the denso one) 

after fitting i checked it with my new live data obd2 reader and it seemed to look good to my unexperienced eye on the graph view  between 0.1-0.9v, i have taken some screenshots of both 02 sensors at idle and 2-3000 revs.  and some general info screens showing its temp and other things,

also actually i think  the hesitation is worse when warmed up...

1 general info screen 1.jpg

2 general info screen 2.jpg

3    O2B1S1 at idle.jpg

4   O2B1S1 at 2-3000 revs.jpg

5   O2B1S2 at idle.jpg

6   O2B1S2 at 2-3000 revs.jpg

I see that my pictures of graphs have lost their titles in posting so dont make so much sense, I have added the titles to the pictures Below

2 general info screen 2 (Copy).jpg

1 general info screen 1 (Copy).jpg

3    O2B1S1 at idle (Copy).jpg

4   O2B1S1 at 2-3000 revs (Copy).jpg

5   O2B1S2 at idle (Copy).jpg

6   O2B1S2 at 2-3000 revs (Copy).jpg

i started a new topic 

ENGINE WARNING LIGHT ERROR CODE PO172        as it seems more appropriate now i'm past the throttle body challenge

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links