Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Yaris mk3 ICE start up

JCT-DK

Hi.

I there a way to fire up the ICE from EV mode using the accelerator other than putting the heat or AC on?

On cold mornings i would like to have the ICE on and letting it warm up on my parking lot rolling about at idle before going into traffic.

Thanks.

Kind regards

JCT

• Like 1

Don't think so. The car is designed to be fuel efficient, therefore ice will only comes on when it's required - heating/climate on etc. Toyota imo absolutely got this right. 

• Like 2

The car will start/stop as required to maintain the HV Battery, you cannot change those settings, the ECU will do whatever it needs to do, the driver cannot override that. By putting the heater/lights etc to on, it is likely to start the ICE, dependant on many factors including the ambient temperature, state of charge etc 

• Like 3

I'm not sure about the Mk3, but if I stick the heater on HI / Max heat on a cold day, and don't actually drive, the engine will idle practically indefinitely (And drag down my precious mpg accordingly! Precioousssssss! :eek: )

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

Yes you can,

exactly with using the accelerator.  
Just push it harder and the car will fire up the engine immediately.  
You can do that also while stationary in P, just step on the gas and the engine will start but in most cases will cut off shortly after pedal been released. , you want to keep it running you need to keep pedal pressed.

All Toyota self charging hybrids will fire up engine on cold starts as a first thing even with full Battery and no matter hvac settings.  The engine needs to be warmed up and ready to take over ev motor. To accelerate this process, yes you can maintain with higher temperatures set on the hvac panel. 
Another trick while drive off from cold or while in warm up stages to keep engine running more often and for longer is to push accelerator further while accelerate, the engine will kick in and remain ON for some time , where if only gently pushed the engine likely to be off. I do these steps now and try to avoid any ev drives as my hybrid Battery is dead and when ev coasting I get hybrid Battery faults. 

• Like 4

Hi Tony

I tried pushing the accelerator after start in ev mode and it works beautifully. The ice fires up. Perfect. 

Thanks a lot. 

Kind regards 

• Like 2

You can also put the heat up to 23 or 25, which should fire up! That's what I do in the morning: ensure the engine runs for 30 to 60 seconds before driving away. I want to ensure the oil is pushed everywhere in the engine, as I don't want this to happen while driving.

I understand that oil is thin and can reach the top quickly, but that's my choice.

• Like 2

I tend to roll back and forth on our parking lot until the Ice shuts off. 

I wonder is it equally good to stay in P and let the engine warm up? 

What gives the lesser wear on the engine? 

1 hour ago, JCT-DK said:

What gives the lesser wear on the engine? 

Neither. The engine is running regardless. Moving the car around for no reason is just wearing brakes, steering, tyres and increasing the risk of hitting something while doing it. Just leave it in P.

If the heating is on the engine will stop when it has enough heat in the coolant to be able to stop for a while. (On mine the needle is about 1/4 way up for this. Not as warm as it gets when actually driving.)

I thought it would be better to run the car in D to have the engine lubricated. 

If in P and stationary it's only the coolant being warmed up - or am I not correct on this? 

2 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

If in P and stationary it's only the coolant being warmed up - or am I not correct on this? 

This question can be confusing. 
When you start the car prior your journey best practice is to wait 30-60 seconds in warm weather and 60-120 second in cold temperatures before you drive off. This is to let all fluids circulate through their systems , engine oil to warm up just a bit and you are ready to go. If you wait longer than that or keep the car ON long time stationary with heating ON and engine often running its actually worst for your ice internals. 
You can start and drive off immediately, however you be better driving gently for the first 3-5 min as this is the time when the engine gets most wear. 
Toyota hybrids has warm up stages 1-4, and when the car is in stage 1 or stage 2 and you have a good Battery charge and healthy Battery the car will operate like ev in electric with engine running as generator, you will feel like speed increases while engine rpm remains the same, it’s kind of wired feeling. 
I always wait these first seconds beforehand driving off as per my location and roads around are faster 40 mph and uphill, everyone is flying here and cold engine sensible drive often upsets other road users. 

• Like 1

Thanks Tony for your explanation. 

That totally answers my question. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, JCT-DK said:

If the engine is running then the oil is being circulated, and getting warmed up, though not as quickly as the coolant. Selector position is irrelevant.

• Like 1

Great to have my knowledge improved. 

Thanks 

When waiting 1-2 minutes in winter before driving off, corresponds this to let the ice running and waiting for the it to shut off? 

What stage corresponds this to? 

I have read somewhere that when shuts off it has reached an internal temperature of 40 degrees celcius. 

1 hour ago, JCT-DK said:

When waiting 1-2 minutes in winter before driving off, corresponds this to let the ice running and waiting for the it to shut off? 

What stage corresponds this to? 

I have read somewhere that when shuts off it has reached an internal temperature of 40 degrees celcius. 

You're overthinking this.

Firstly, ignoring any need to heat the cabin:

With a normal car it's generally recommended to let the engine run for a few seconds before driving off to allow the oil to get where it needs to for best lubrication. It's also suggested not to work it hard until it's warmed up, though I'm not sure how relevant that is with modern cars and oils.

With hybrids the engine may not start until the car has travelled some distance, so those recommendations aren't so easy to meet. But Toyota have probably allowed for this, so for normal use it shouldn't be a problem.

Secondly, if you want heat in the cabin before driving off:

Normal or hybrid car you will have to run the engine until it warms up enough to provide heat. That time will depend on outside temperature and how much heat you demand - lower and more respectively will take longer.

If heat is not what you need and it's just engine wear you are worrying about then I suggest you force the engine to start, wait about 30 seconds and then drive off moderately. The electric motor will probably be doing most or all of the work at this stage, so it will make no difference to the engine whether you move or not.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links