Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota mapping vs Android Auto

TDLRSF

Is it worth considering using the built in maps instead of Waze on android auto? Has any one tried it on a long journey?

Mostly considering trying it as my phone(Samsung A70) doesn't fit with the cable attached.

I was with somebody the other day using Waze, I thought it was utter tosh, took us all around the houses and not even to the correct postcode, I thought it was supposed to be good? Personally never had a problem with the Toyota mapping 

20 minutes ago, TDLRSF said:

Is it worth considering using the built in maps instead of Waze on android auto? Has any one tried it on a long journey?

Mostly considering trying it as my phone(Samsung A70) doesn't fit with the cable attached.

Internal maps are “ok” but traffic reporting not so much. 

Hi Malcolm, I used to find that Waze didn't work that well when we used my wife's old Samsung phone. Google maps was slightly better but still had problems. She brought a new Motorola G23 phone and never had any problems since with Waze or Google maps and use both at different times. IMO I think a lot of these problems are due to the signal and age of the phone.😄

2 hours ago, TDLRSF said:

I used the Toyota built-in navigation to drive to Vienna and back - is that long enough? 😉

The built-in system is perfectly good, and, arguably, better on a long journey than a short one - on short, local, journeys I find that I often know of and use routes that are different to those suggested by the sat nav. But following the suggested route pretty much always gets you to your destination.

As above, the real-time reporting with Google Maps almost always beats the RDS based stuff used by the built-in system in dealing with traffic issues. So, we usually use both - the driver uses the built-in system for navigation and the co-pilot uses Google Maps to provide an alternate view.

• Like 1

For the last couple of years I thought the traffic was coming via the Cloud and not by RDS. That’s why there is a subscription for it after 3 years

24 minutes ago, wivenhoe said:

For the last couple of years I thought the traffic was coming via the Cloud and not by RDS. That’s why there is a subscription for it after 3 years

You are probably correct ... I have a Touch 2 and that gets traffic info via RDS (no subscription).

• Like 1

Toyota,  Waze  and Google all have advantages and disadvantages. 

I find Toyota Smart Connect has some features such as fuel, parking etc but the mapping is bland and 3D is barely perceptible.

Waze is my goto when there are traffic holdups as the info appears to be timely with reports timed.  The display however is comic book style if that makes sense. 

Google is my preferred source and offers map or satellite views.  The latter helps enormously,  apart from seeing what is behind the hedge it helps with orientation. 

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 11:38 AM, TDLRSF said:

The Toyota Integrated Navigation system may not be the most suitable option for navigation due to its outdated map versions. The frequency of map updates, which should ideally occur twice a year, has not been adhered to. I recommend using Waze as a reliable alternative for navigation purposes.

• Like 1

Waze here also.   

anyone used ABRP.  Calculates all the places you will need to charge up on long journeys. Downside is to use it on the car screen, you’ll need to pay for the premium (subscription) version

Always WAZE the maps are simpler but I’m happy with that, I’ve found that the routing is much better and the user updates on road conditions so much more informative.

• 2 weeks later...

What version of the map do you have on your built-in satnav?

On 3/3/2024 at 3:00 PM, bZ4X said:

The Toyota Integrated Navigation system may not be the most suitable option for navigation due to its outdated map versions. The frequency of map updates, which should ideally occur twice a year, has not been adhered to.

I am not sure, especially with Smart Connect.  The real issue is the live traffic updates with Smart Connect etc.

Difficult to judge the best as you can only see one at a time. 

I think I mentioned it before.  Last month Waze routed me through a road closed section but Google routed me on the diversion.  Only by driving on the Waze route would I have been able to see if Waze knew something Google didn't.   At night 'closed' roads can frequently be open. 

I could be wrong but I thought the idea of smart connect was that the parts of the map that needed to be updated would get updated automatically.

Moving away from the twice yearly updates. I used to do beta testing for 2 major sat nav companies and the amount of map data that gets updated is actually very little, so makes more sense for the updates to be much smaller.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2024 at 7:02 PM, JonathanP said:

I could be wrong but I thought the idea of smart connect was that the parts of the map that needed to be updated would get updated automatically.

Moving away from the twice yearly updates. I used to do beta testing for 2 major sat nav companies and the amount of map data that gets updated is actually very little, so makes more sense for the updates to be much smaller.

What is your current map version?

Just found a major issue with Waze.   The A1 at Colsterworth has been closed since 7.30 and the local roads are shown as red with very slow traffic, therefore Waze selects the route with least traffic.

The closed section, by definition,  has no traffic and that is the suggested route.  Doh!

In contrast the Google route is correct.

• Confused 1

• 1 month later...

I use Google maps, the only thing i find is that its a shame that it doesn't show on the heads up display the the Toyota map 

I've tried google, Waze and TomTom. The mapping and re-routing on GM is good but the speed camera alerts not so good (don't judge😁). Waze has useful info and good camera alerts but I don like not being able to chose whether to take an alternative route if delays are encountered. It regularly sends me all over the place and I'm convinced it will only have save a couple of minutes. I've now settled on the TomTom app because its alerts and rerouting options are good. I'm also familiar with it from satnavs in the past. It's only a few quid a year on deals but obviously costs more than GM or Waze.

I've not played with the inbuilt satnav much yet but will give it a go. A pain not being able to import all my contacts though. Is there a way to do it that I have missed?

1 hour ago, Corolly Poly said:

I've tried google, Waze and TomTom. The mapping and re-routing on GM is good but the speed camera alerts not so good (don't judge😁). Waze has useful info and good camera alerts but I don like not being able to chose whether to take an alternative route if delays are encountered. It regularly sends me all over the place and I'm convinced it will only have save a couple of minutes. I've now settled on the TomTom app because its alerts and rerouting options are good. I'm also familiar with it from satnavs in the past. It's only a few quid a year on deals but obviously costs more than GM or Waze.

I've not played with the inbuilt satnav much yet but will give it a go. A pain not being able to import all my contacts though. Is there a way to do it that I have missed?

Tomtom also gives a sidebar for traffic on route which waze GM or AppleMaps do not display. 
is also my go to sat nav. Tomtom updates its maps monthly, internal satnav is only twice a year.

now here is the kicker. Traffic on internal sat nav. I have worked with Toyota UK to try and resolve a really annoying data issue with satnav traffic updates. I dont think this has been resolved yet.
Basically internal satnav traffic is ok if you connect using phone internet or wifi unit built into car (you pay toyota for a separate sim) however is sketchy if your data connection is carplay or aa. This was compounded earlier this year when traffic over radio (TM) was turned off in the uk. 

In effect to get the best out of your system either choose Carplay/AA and use an app or connect to Toyota Online through your phones hotspot / in-car wifi. 

if traffic updates are not a thing of concern just mix n match. 

22 minutes ago, Paul john said:

This was compounded earlier this year when traffic over radio (TM) was turned off in the uk. 

This bit isn't quite correct. TrafficMaster discontinued their TMC service; the Inrix broadcasts via Classic FM continue. So, provided that we have a valid subscription to the Inrix service (in my case via MapCare) we will continue to benefit from that service. (But, TBH, it was never that great anway - alerting rather late and continuing to alert well after the 'problem' has gone.)

Edit: Oh, and is probably not that relevant for owners of the bZ4X with rather more up-to-date systems ... 😉

1 hour ago, Paul john said:

Tomtom also gives a sidebar for traffic on route which waze GM or AppleMaps do not display. 
is also my go to sat nav. Tomtom updates its maps monthly, internal satnav is only twice a year.

now here is the kicker. Traffic on internal sat nav. I have worked with Toyota UK to try and resolve a really annoying data issue with satnav traffic updates. I dont think this has been resolved yet.
Basically internal satnav traffic is ok if you connect using phone internet or wifi unit built into car (you pay toyota for a separate sim) however is sketchy if your data connection is carplay or aa. This was compounded earlier this year when traffic over radio (TM) was turned off in the uk. 

In effect to get the best out of your system either choose Carplay/AA and use an app or connect to Toyota Online through your phones hotspot / in-car wifi. 

if traffic updates are not a thing of concern just mix n match. 

Does the TomTom app show the directions on the display above the steering wheel? (like the Builtin nav)

7 hours ago, Andy BZ4x said:

Does the TomTom app show the directions on the display above the steering wheel? (like the Builtin nav)

Carplay hud integration is sketchy by model. In most yes.  It passes the “map” app of choice to the second screen on the hud, so if it works for applemaps/googlemaps it works for tom tom

• Like 1

9 hours ago, philip42h said:

This bit isn't quite correct. TrafficMaster discontinued their TMC service; the Inrix broadcasts via Classic FM continue. So, provided that we have a valid subscription to the Inrix service (in my case via MapCare) we will continue to benefit from that service. (But, TBH, it was never that great anway - alerting rather late and continuing to alert well after the 'problem' has gone.)

Edit: Oh, and is probably not that relevant for owners of the bZ4X with rather more up-to-date systems ... 😉

This bit isnt quite correct. 
older models setup to use TM only are not INRIX capable due to head unit limitations (this includes all Prius gen4 2016-2022) 

happy to accept that a BZ4X may be compatable. But neither I ot the OP drive that car. 

10 minutes ago, Paul john said:

happy to accept that a BZ4X may be compatable. But neither I ot the OP drive that car. 

The OP drives a bZ4X. The Inrix system is working fine on my RAV4. I know nothing of Prii ... 😉

5 minutes ago, philip42h said:

The OP drives a bZ4X. The Inrix system is working fine on my RAV4. I know nothing of Prii ... 😉

Prii?

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links