Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Splitting windscreen wipers....alot!

donnaTY

Arrrrgh!!! 

Is it just me or is there an issue with Toyota windscreen wipers splitting for no reason? I have owned my Yaris since October last year and I have had 3 split at the end...yes 3! In 5 months and on the same side! The last one has just gone again and only a week old 😞 I can't blame the weather its been wet but not had any hard frosts etc. 

Should I just swap to another brand or bring this up with Toyota as this can't be right! 

Hi Donna,

You're right, experiencing three Wiper Blades splitting in 5 months, especially on the same side, is unusual and shouldn't be considered normal. Contact Toyota:

It's important to bring this issue to Toyota's attention. They might be unaware of a potential problem with your specific Yaris model or batch of Wiper Blades.

Explain the situation clearly, including the number of replacements, the timeframe, and the affected side.

You can contact your local Toyota dealership or their customer service department. They might be able to:

Investigate the issue they might inquire about your service history and inspect your car to see if there are any underlying factors causing the damage.

Offer a solution: This could involve replacing the blades under warranty or goodwill, investigating and addressing a potential manufacturing defect if applicable.

2. Consider alternative wiper blade brands. Hope this helps.😄

• Like 2

There are usually two main reasons for premature Wiper Blades wear, fault with the wiper arm or jet washer nozzle or dry use. If the wipers were left constantly ON where the window was not wet enough and the rubbers were continuously wiping on dry surface they get overheated and split. Good to double check the car for present faults and replace wipers under warranty eventually if the service technician find a fault with the car itself. The original equipment wipers are made by Denso and they are too if not the best quality wipers on the market. You can try aftermarket brands like Bosch, Hella, Michelin, these are also good. 

• Like 3

11 hours ago, TonyHSD said:

There are usually two main reasons for premature wiper blades wear, fault with the wiper arm or jet washer nozzle or dry use. If the wipers were left constantly ON where the window was not wet enough and the rubbers were continuously wiping on dry surface they get overheated and split. Good to double check the car for present faults and replace wipers under warranty eventually if the service technician find a fault with the car itself. The original equipment wipers are made by Denso and they are too if not the best quality wipers on the market. You can try aftermarket brands like Bosch, Hella, Michelin, these are also good. 

Well, after the weather this week they definitely weren't used dry lol.  I am going to pop to Toyota today and have a chat with them. Many thanks for your advice. 

• Like 2

Could be the wiper arm is parking too low and wiper blade hitting windscreen surround? If so, move up one notch on the spline.

• Like 1

There’s something odd.  I doubt it’s bad wipers so I’d be looking for a reason they’re sticking to the glass or maybe as Jeff says, catching.  Can you take some  photos?

• 2 weeks later...

Well after swapping to a top quality wiper (lasted just over a week) I popped to Toyota who were not very sympathetic and in one way or another kept trying to lay blame on human error and the usual suspects like ice etc! They didn't even offer to replace, they said it could of been the way they had been fitted (for goodness sake) so they let me drive away with a split wiper yet again and to go and buy another one.  They can't get me in till next month so I dread to think how many more I'm going to replace with this weather currently.  I detailed the car at the weekend and glass is free of debris and chemicals etc so not that.  She checked the placement of the blade and said it looked fine.   The only thing I can think of is the pressure of the blade on the glass? This is frustrating now and costing me a fortune arrrrgh. 

Thanks for your support guys, better than toyota so far 👍 

• Sad 3

I've had the same PIAA wipers I fitted since I bought the car and haven't had such an issue... very unusual for sure!! :confused1:

What wiper brands have you been using, and have you just been replacing the blade or the whole 'cartridge', i.e. the holder as well?

• Like 2

Can you photograph them?

• Like 1

Hi Donna, check the wiper arm alignment,with the wipers lifted, see if both arms sit parallel to the windscreen. If one looks bent, you might need to change it.

Inspect your windscreen closely look for any small chips or cracks along the wiper blade path. You can run your fingernail along the surface to feel for any irregularities. 

Your original post mentions changing 3 split in 5 months on the same side,this is not right and indicates that either a problem with alignment of the arm is wrong or a problem with the windscreen on that side.:smile:

If all looks ok go to another garage and ask them to take a look for a second opinion as something is wrong for this to continue happening.:smile:

2 hours ago, donnaTY said:

Well after swapping to a top quality wiper (lasted just over a week) I popped to Toyota who were not very sympathetic and in one way or another kept trying to lay blame on human error and the usual suspects like ice etc! They didn't even offer to replace, they said it could of been the way they had been fitted (for goodness sake) so they let me drive away with a split wiper yet again and to go and buy another one.  They can't get me in till next month so I dread to think how many more I'm going to replace with this weather currently.  I detailed the car at the weekend and glass is free of debris and chemicals etc so not that.  She checked the placement of the blade and said it looked fine.   The only thing I can think of is the pressure of the blade on the glass? This is frustrating now and costing me a fortune arrrrgh. 

Thanks for your support guys, better than toyota so far 👍 

Hi Donna,

As frustrating as it is you have to understand that windscreen wipers are a consumable so for sure Toyota will not change them for free, if they are not touching anything (make a picture of them so we can see the rest position, we want to see if is touching anything it should not)

Also avoid using them when they are frozen until the windscreen is not frozen anymore, heat the car up and use a ice scrapper to clear it or a de-ice spray 

It also depends on the way you use them (a bad use example: very light rain and the wipers at max), if you have no water on the windscreen to wipe they will heat up and split as my forum colleagues said before

I have changed mine to Bosch Aero Twin for about £25 (Halfords or local car parts shop) and they seem to be fine for the last 8 months I have used the car  

Read the thread folks.  This is an October 2023 car, not something 10 years old.   I’ve asked for a photo to see if they’re twisted or bent.   The OE wipers are Denso and they are the best but it’s eating them too.  Bosch or any other aftermarket brand isn’t the cure.  

• Like 1

Another car I had ate wipers at the same rate...

I changed the windscreen (covered by the insurance of course) and problem solved...

They said the windscreen had a small crack which acted like a knife.

I couldn't believe it then, but thankfully they were right!

That ***glass technician deserved a star!

• Like 1

You might think I am a crackpot but bear with me............We had a customer with an Aygo and the roof mouldings kept falling off, he was so peeved off he thought he would check his CCTV to see if somebody was nicking them. Every morning at dawn, CROWS could be see attacking the mouldings and ripping them off the roof. No I had never heard of that happening in 50 years in the motor trade, but we had a spell of Wiper Blades on the forecourt where the rubber blades were being pulled out of the wiper OR where the ends were splitting, yeah you guessed it, crows were eating the ends of the blades. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51178250

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

Pictures please as requested. 
Good and helpful answer so far 👍 

It might not be crows but snakes…..windscreen vipers….

im here all week…..

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 7

7 hours ago, Parts-King said:

You might think I am a crackpot but bear with me............We had a customer with an Aygo and the roof mouldings kept falling off, he was so peeved off he thought he would check his CCTV to see if somebody was nicking them. Every morning at dawn, CROWS could be see attacking the mouldings and ripping them off the roof. No I had never heard of that happening in 50 years in the motor trade, but we had a spell of wiper blades on the forecourt where the rubber blades were being pulled out of the wiper OR where the ends were splitting, yeah you guessed it, crows were eating the ends of the blades. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-51178250

You can buy rodent (pine martens in particular) repellent for cars in many parts of Europe.  

https://www.pro-detailing.de/products/rodent-repellent-spray-liqui-moly-marderspray-200ml?currency=GBP&variant=43883745804542&utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=google&utm_campaign=Google Shopping&stkn=8845c3deae62&srsltid=AfmBOopjoPd31tMZggPITwb7aSUSffGva2i424k4g2KAR9cNNFrms007QfU

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Primus1 said:

im here all week…..

Please don't be :wallbash:

• Haha 4

I know opinions will be split but I'm sure he didn't mean to rubber you the wrong way :biggrin: 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Primus1 said:

im here all week…..

OMG! You really did just say that didn't you! Groan.... :blowup:

• Haha 1

I’m sure you all had to…wipe….away a tear or two…

• Haha 3

As long as the bidet,ie rear wash wipe is ok. 

• Haha 3

16 hours ago, Primus1 said:

im here all week…..

Well we had something strange going on around here back in the 60s.

This was on house windows though,in those days it was the old fashioned wooden window frames, something was scraping out the putty holding the glass in place on several houses in the area.

They only got to the bottom of it when one of the affected householders sat up all night in his shed to watch the house.

Turned out it was a putty tat.

• Haha 3

That is just so awful, it barely deserves comment... :rifle:

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, CPN said:

That is just so awful, it barely deserves comment... :rifle:

Guilty as charged.

• Haha 2

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links