Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Navigation options

Roker

I do not have a Toyota navigation system installed so I us Google on the Infotainment from my phone .

This uses the only USB data socket that I have so I cannot use a USB stick or my CD player. I was thinking of buying  Garmin Satnav which I can connect to the USB power socket and not the data socket. Any thoughts on this.

Also do I need bluetooth + data socket to use my phone dialling etc. or will it work bluetooth only

Could you store the music on your phone instead of a USB stick, then your phone should be able to play music and run Google simultaneosuly through the one USB socket?

Hi Dan,

Garmin are good but they do have pros and cons.

Pros:

Frees up your phone you don't need to rely solely on your phone for navigation, saving the data socket for other uses.
Dedicated navigation may offers better features and functionality compared to phone apps, especially in areas with a weak signal.

Garmin Satnavs typically use the USB power socket, so it wouldn't interfere with your data socket needs.

Cons:
Additional cost You'll need to purchase the Garmin device.
Extra device it sdds another device to your car.

Phone Connectivity:

bluetooth only bluetooth functionality alone is enough for basic phone features like calls and music streaming in most cars (including features like steering wheel controls for calls).

You don't need data connectivity on your phone to use bluetooth for basic car functions. However, data may be needed for features like live traffic updates or internet-based music streaming through your car's system.

A Garmin Satnav powered by the USB power socket seems like a good option for your needs, freeing up your phone and potentially offering better navigation features. As for phone connectivity, Bluetooth alone should suffice for basic functions, but data might be needed for specific features depending on your car and preferences. Hope this helps😄

28 minutes ago, Bper said:

Hi Dan,

Garmin are good but they do have pros and cons.

Pros:

Frees up your phone you don't need to rely solely on your phone for navigation, saving the data socket for other uses.
Dedicated navigation may offers better features and functionality compared to phone apps, especially in areas with a weak signal.

Garmin Satnavs typically use the USB power socket, so it wouldn't interfere with your data socket needs.

Cons:
Additional cost You'll need to purchase the Garmin device.
Extra device it sdds another device to your car.

Phone Connectivity:

Bluetooth only Bluetooth functionality alone is enough for basic phone features like calls and music streaming in most cars (including features like steering wheel controls for calls).

You don't need data connectivity on your phone to use Bluetooth for basic car functions. However, data may be needed for features like live traffic updates or internet-based music streaming through your car's system.

A Garmin Satnav powered by the USB power socket seems like a good option for your needs, freeing up your phone and potentially offering better navigation features. As for phone connectivity, Bluetooth alone should suffice for basic functions, but data might be needed for specific features depending on your car and preferences. Hope this helps😄

Would the Garmin bluetooth work on my Infotainment system

10 hours ago, Roker said:

I do not have a Toyota navigation system installed so I us Google on the Infotainment from my phone .

This uses the only USB data socket that I have so I cannot use a USB stick or my CD player. I was thinking of buying  Garmin Satnav which I can connect to the USB power socket and not the data socket. Any thoughts on this.

Also do I need Bluetooth + data socket to use my phone dialling etc. or will it work Bluetooth only

Update

The system works on bluetooth from my phone with limited capability , voice commands don't work, I must use the telephone button and speech button, where as with the data connection I can Hi Google speech command.

My old Garmin bluetooth is not compatible with the infotainment blue tooth. I am also trying to rid all of the clutter stuck to my windscreen

• Like 1

Hi Dan

Whether your Garmin device's bluetooth will work with your car's infotainment system depends on a few factors:

Compatibility not all infotainment systems are compatible with all bluetooth devices. You'll need to check your infotainment system's manual or search online for a list of compatible devices.

bluetooth profiles Your Garmin device and infotainment system need to support the same Bluetooth profiles to communicate effectively. Common profiles for car infotainment include HFP (Hands-Free Profile) for phone calls and A2DP (Advanced Audio Distribution Profile) for audio streaming. Have you got the details of your infotainment system and the user manual.👍

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links