Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

2005 Yaris 1.0 to 1.5 T Sport

CallmeAmber

Hello,

I'm interested in replacing my small 1.0 engine to a 1.5 t sport. This is my first time doing something like this on a car and its more of a fun project for the summer. I wondered if anyone had any information that could help make this process easier for me.

Sorry if these are stupid questions, like I said, this is new to me.

What else would I need to replace to ensure all things go smoothly?

Would I need a new gearbox?

Any tips, or information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks 🙂

Don't bother, it's tons of work - effecting every aspect of the car, insurance will be high as it's classed as a modified car

spend your money on another car imho

• Like 3

Hi Amber,

Changing an engine requires a considerable mechanical knowledge and experience. There are many technical issues and modifications needed.

Compatibility between your car's chassis, electrical system, and other components is essential. This could involve modifications to the engine mounts, and the wiring harness, and other parts, which can no doubt be frustrating if you haven't done this before.

Along with swapping the engine you would probably have to replace the gearbox as well. The 1.5 T-Sport engine might require a specific gearbox.

Other items which may need replacement is the exhaust,ECU,cooling system etc.

I remember when i was younger that a mate of mine asked me to give him a hand to swap an engine and the one thing i remember is the numerous swearing and even though he had a good mechanical background in cars he struggled with it and i was lost with how he was going about it.

A couple of times we got fed up and went down the pub.😄

Don't let that put you off 😂

• Like 2

On top of all the headache of actually doing it you will end up with a car that you cannot insure using normal channels and it will be cheaper to hire a Ferrari on a daily basis.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

I can understand you wanting the Tsport engine, they are indeed a very good engine IMO.

Had my Yaris Tsport over 4 years now, very pleased with it.

But I have to agree with the others on here that it would be very difficult and expensive to do, not least because the Tsport has a very different set up, besides the engine, brakes, suspension, interior equipment etc.

Plus being Japanese built , as opposed to french built, so more differences than just those.

I know that they are getting rare now, but the odd good one pops up now and again, so if you felt like looking for one instead of doing the conversion on yours, I think you would spend a lot less money, and finish up with a much better car.

But good luck if you do decide to have a go at it.

• Like 3

Just buy a T Sport model. It will be cheaper and get you a better result. It's not just the engine and gearbox (and ECU, and exhaust, and brakes). The T Sport also has a stiffer body with additional spot welds and bracing. 

It's a great car. You can then, focus on other performance mods like sports KYB shocks, an LSD from an MR2 and so on. But they are great fun stock. 

• Like 3

Just to add if you go with a tsport first you will have a much better base if you do want to do some upgrades - lots of parts, many mods, and loadsa info on the net

A Vitz RS or RS g is another option and they come in auto too

• Like 2

I wouldn't recommend it - It's not an easy swap! The problem with Toyotas is they encrypt everything and nobody's cracked the encryption, and in this case the T-Sport is japanese-made while the 1.0 is french made so even silly things like the brakes and shock mountings are slightly different, so what you'll end up doing is buying a T-Sport piece by piece as you swap bits in and find they don't work because they will only talk to or fit with some other T-Sport piece.

For reference of what to expect, go look at the current Mighty Car Mods project, where Moog is trying to convert an Aussie Up! to a Euro Up! GTI - It's been an absolute trainwreck nightmare so far (But schadenfreude gets views :laugh: ) and every time they put in more of an Up! GTI they find they need another piece because the bit it was to connect to in the Aussie Up! isn't compatible - It's even managed to dampen his normally sickeningly chipper Aussie attitude! :eek: :laugh: 

If you want a bit of a challenge, just finding a T-Sport in decent condition that hasn't been riced to an inch of its life is a good starting point :laugh:  Then you can start sticking all the performance mods on it (Like the obligatory K&N induction kit and Whiteline front and rear anti roll bars and strut braces :laugh: )

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

It's not an easy swap!

It's not going to be a can of worms.

It'll be a jack-in-the-box of snakes.

• Haha 3

Thanks everyone for your advice! I think I will stick to buying an actual car instead!

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links