Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Pda Or In Car Pc?

Robie

Hey guys.

Basically I would like to get either a PDA + GPS reciever or build my own in car pc system for eventually aroun £500.

At the minute I have around £250 so could easily get a pda and gps reciever to carry tom tom navigator 3 but would really like to create my own system which would run movies, mp3's, gps and much more but I would only initially be able to buy parts for it and build it up as I get money!

Also what do you think of this monitor:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...5715887317&rd=1

It seems to have everything I need and would probably be the first thing I would buy and would put my PS2 in the car with it untill I build my in car pc.

Its either that or a PDA so what do you think? :ph34r:

i have the PDA + TomTom combination stuff.. very good...

but, if you really want a in-car PC system.. i know where you can get a good starting base ;)

but, if you really want a in-car PC system.. i know where you can get a good starting base ;)

Pray tell us more :D

Thanks for the help so far. What are the capabilities of a PDA?

Ie. could I hold my mp3's on it or maybe use any form of video outputs to plug it into a monitor for watching movies or is all that beyond the capabilities of a pda?

Right, i can only speak for my IPaq.. so please dont take this as gospel.

You can store a lot of MP3's on them (i have a 512meg SD card though), and i believe you can get VGA-out converters for them..

as for outputting MP3's into your stereo, i couldnt comment, and unless your going to wear headphones, your not going to play through the speaker. Its okay for the Nav.. but beyond that, no..

now, there are software products to do various things, including coverting DVD's to play on the PDA.. it all depends what you want it to do..

Thanks for your help fidgits. ATM I am leaning towards monitor+ps2 for the meanwhile with custom built in car pc later on.

Thanks Again :thumbsup:

well, dont forget you'll need a pretty hefty DC to AC converter to drive the PS..

Probably best to drop Bibbs a PM and see what he used to drive his XBox

I decided to go for the PDA option after looking at the prices for a properly installed, decent spec'd car-PC.

As for the playing MP3 audio through the car system. I am able to do that very easily. However most standard car audio setups wont be able to do this. My headunit has an AUX INPUT which I can just plug my PDA earphone socket to and output the sound through my car Speakers. I can also 'rip' MP3 tracks to even lower speeds that I can get around 60+ MP3s on a 128MB memory stick. But dont need that as I have MDLP and a CD/MP3 changer :D

All I need now is to get a proper GPS software compatible with my Clie TH55 (TomTom 3 dont work and NavMan is too expensive!). All I have at the moment is the maps, and route calculator. No GPS receiver yet! Considering the official Sony Clie TH55 GPS setup but still very expensive, though 100% compatible.

I love the idea of having a PC system in the car, but where I live, I'll be lucky if I survive a trip round my block without being jacked for the system :( I need to move away ASAP.

The best has to be Drivesoft! I don't know if its available in the UK yet ,but defo in the US.Think its pretty expensive though...check it out at drivesoft.net

Cheers

i would say in car pc mate, You got more and its great value really.

Look at the alpine systems, they play dvds and tvs and GPS and you pay like more than a grand!

In car pc is way better than a PDA anyday.

PDA with bluetooth GPS - Its the only way to go!

I just got my Rav yesterday, and fitted the cradle this morning for my XDA II. Currently its using the Cig lighter, but will be hardwired when my phone kit gets installed later next week.

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links