Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

No Sound-Google Maps via Android Auto?

fred88

This has happened before but I can't recall the fix - not the car really but just in case anyone can help.

I use Google Maps through Android Auto a lot. I've just noticed that the navigation voice isn't working. It works fine using it natively on the phone but through AA in the car it's silent. It's not muted and I've tried the guidance audio test sound while adjusting the volume on the car media and on my phone without success.

Anyone any ideas or suggestions please?

• Like 1

Hi Roger, You can try a few things to resolve this.

Restart your phone and car this can sometimes resolve temporary glitches.

Update the apps and make sure you are using the latest versions of Google Maps and Android Auto. You can check for updates in the Google Play Store.

Clear Google Maps cache: Go to Settings > Apps & notifications > See all apps > Google Maps > Storage & cache > Clear cache.

Reinstall Android Auto: If none of the above work, try uninstalling and reinstalling Android Auto.

Check your bluetooth connection make sure your phone is properly connected to your car's bluetooth system. Try disconnecting and reconnecting if necessary.

Select the correct audio output: If your car has multiple audio sources, ensure it's set to the one where you want to hear the navigation voice (e.g., AUX, its normally something simple to solve it but give these a try.

Hope this helps.😄

Thanks for the suggestions. I've done a few but not all of them.

Is there a setting on the car infotainment system to disable audio output? Google Maps isn't just outputting audio and video to the infotainment unit. It has registered as the satellite navigation provider so is subject to those settings. Eg; to adjust the volume you adjust the volume on the infotainment unit's map settings.

Thanks again everyone. I can't look at it right now but I will follow up and post back.

It's back, I just did everything. There were updates for Google Maps and AA which would have happened anyway but I forced them. Also cleared the cache for both, restarted the phone and turned off the Sound over bluetooth thing. It could have been any of them but life's too short. Thanks again everyone. 

Erm, how do you turn the volume down? The "softer" setting hasn't worked and the volume press buttons or volume control knowb on the media screen don't do it either.

4 hours ago, fred88 said:

Erm, how do you turn the volume down? The "softer" setting hasn't worked and the volume press buttons or volume control knowb on the media screen don't do it either.

As per my post: Sat nav volume is controlled via the map settings page on the infotainment system.

Unless it's different on later models.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AndrueC said:

As per my post: Sat nav volume is controlled via the map settings page on the infotainment system.

Unless it's different on later models.

Well, I gave it a try and it has worked, many thanks for the tip.

Pretty sure it wasn't the fix last time but that was on a Passat.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Using Android Auto on toyota Grand Highlander.
When driving with Android Auto Google Maps navigation ON, and playing music I have no issue, however when 3 things happen simultaneously, the Google Maps Navigation Voice (sound that reads direx while driving) is lost and no longer speaks direcs.
Let me explain, the issue happens ONLY when 3 things simultaneously occur all 3 at the same time: You are driving with Andr Auto On and Google Maps actively navigating for you and music is playing and Driving Assist is also ON to chime if u cross lane etc.. As soon as the Google Map navigator starts to speak directions Plus at the same time Toyota's Lane change assist Chime goes ON (when u accidentally cross lane) (or when any Toyota chime comes on from Toyota dashboard (like backing from parking and vehicle behind you- a chime will come on)  and music is continuing playing, as soon as that Toyota advanced driving chime comes ON while Map Nav SPEAKS next turn, and music is playing - ALL 3 AT SAME TIME.., it kills the Gogole Maps Voice navigator directions  and Google maps voice will never speak again(until u re-pair the Toyota and Phone device all over again) 

This does not happen when using Toyotas native map nav. This only happens with Android Auto connected Wirelessly or thru wired cable USB-c. 

I tried with various phone models - issue with Toyota navigation sodtware and NOT android auto software in the phone. 
Please forward this case to the Toyota Software Enginner team to issue a firmware update for Toyota Navigation center to prevent this from happening.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

It's happened again, no sound. I haven't changed anything, I just realised that it wasn't working again.  Only thing is the car hadn't been driven for 3 or 4 days.

I've tried everything suggested above and can't get it going. I can't reinstall because AA and Maps are embedded on the phone so I deleted the cache and data on both to no avail. Sound works on the phone if I use it seperately without connecting to the car via AA. It's a USB connection by the way.

Sorry to be a pain but has anyone anymore suggestions please?

Apologies - Do not Disturb was on! Don't know how that happened, its on a schedule.

• Haha 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links