Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

New Prius PHEV first impressions

Paul john

Basically. Not that impressed by specs.

Feels to me like an inferior spec’d car compared to the 2022 model it replaced. 
plus Why oh why have we not been offered the HEV. 

although it is simple to choose you model. LOL.

You ONLY have the choice of exterior Colour (£40k+ for pearlescent paint variant) and Fabric or Leather seats (17 or 19 inch wheels).

and No JBL sound system

Waiting for the next instalment... Perhaps sept 2024 to include a HEV and towing pack?

To be fair, it's not really for the typical current Prius owners; They weren't going to bring it here at all originally, as there was so little interest in the previous ones, and they feared responses like yours would be the majority.

They only brought it here because there was so much interest from other parties, people that wouldn't normally buy a Prius.

The new one is much more driving-dynamics focused, which seems to be a trend in most of their new models - My Mk4 has easily the best driving dynamics of any model of Yaris, and although it has sacrificed a lot of Yarissy things, which started with the Mk3 to be fair, it's added enough that I can overlook all of that because it's damned fun to drive, and I think the new Prius is also more in that vein.

I think they decided not to bring the HEV as it enroaches too much on the Corolla; On paper there's already very little between the two, which is also why they originally decided not to bring it here. As a PHEV it has more USPs to differentiate it from the Corolla.

They already consider the Prius a big gamble, as sales were so poor before, esp. compared to the Corolla, so I can understand it. The HEV will be very unlikely to come here unless they see a lot of interest in the PHEV.

I think the PHEV is the better of the two anyway - From what I've seen in reviews it feels more powerful and has useful electric range, and will help owners get into more of an EV mindset. It's unfortunate it pushes it into the Premium Car classification though, but I don't think Toyota UK expect to sell a huge number so they're probably aiming it at people who really want one and thus are willing to put down more money to get one...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cyker said:

To be fair, it's not really for the typical current Prius owners; They weren't going to bring it here at all originally, as there was so little interest in the previous ones, and they feared responses like yours would be the majority.

They only brought it here because there was so much interest from other parties, people that wouldn't normally buy a Prius.

The new one is much more driving-dynamics focused, which seems to be a trend in most of their new models - My Mk4 has easily the best driving dynamics of any model of Yaris, and although it has sacrificed a lot of Yarissy things, which started with the Mk3 to be fair, it's added enough that I can overlook all of that because it's damned fun to drive, and I think the new Prius is also more in that vein.

I think they decided not to bring the HEV as it enroaches too much on the Corolla; On paper there's already very little between the two, which is also why they originally decided not to bring it here. As a PHEV it has more USPs to differentiate it from the Corolla.

They already consider the Prius a big gamble, as sales were so poor before, esp. compared to the Corolla, so I can understand it. The HEV will be very unlikely to come here unless they see a lot of interest in the PHEV.

I think the PHEV is the better of the two anyway - From what I've seen in reviews it feels more powerful and has useful electric range, and will help owners get into more of an EV mindset. It's unfortunate it pushes it into the Premium Car classification though, but I don't think Toyota UK expect to sell a huge number so they're probably aiming it at people who really want one and thus are willing to put down more money to get one...

sales aside as it was during covid and chipaggedon in the later years. So sales were  non existant as there were no prius available. 

more a lacklustre approach to customers. i waited 18month from order to delivery…

”oh the japanese factories have stopped prius production Again! Was common during that time “

I enjoy the driving dynamics of my mk4 esp in sport mode. I am not a typical prius driver (mpg is not my only concern i dont drive 50mph on motorway)

I drive my car like a normal car. 

it is a family car , which tows and on the odd occasion has the roof box filled with  holiday stuff or transposed with 3 bikes on the roof instead. Or the volumous boot filled with bags for the dump.

the mk5 should be an uplift , not a downgrade at all levels.!!!

1 £7k more expensive for the same paint

2 slower top speed

3 less luggage space

4 more expensive to run (non ev mpg as i drive more than 47 miles on typical journeys)

5 smaller petrol tank

6 more expensive tyres in both versions

7 no jbl stereo

8 no spare tyre 

btw the corolla hatchback (ex auris) is lower and less headroom and overall smaller than the prius  

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links