Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Toyota Grey Metallic car paint extra sensitive to scratches?

HSDish

Are Toyota Grey Metallic car paint extra sensitive to scratches?

Have noticed that our grey metallic RAV 4 PHEV 2020 are quite prone to scratches is there any known thing specially to that car paint or is it common at metallics?

• Like 1

To be honest it is a common issue with many new car brands. Modern Water based paint finishes are simply not as tough as traditional paint finishes were. I notice similar with my 2022 pearl red RAV. I have just sold a 2007 Merc which had far better paint. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, HSDish said:

Are Toyota Grey Metallic car paint extra sensitive to scratches?

Have noticed that our grey metallic RAV 4 PHEV 2020 are quite prone to scratches is there any known thing specially to that car paint or is it common at metallics?

Not had an issue. 2021 model. Dacuma metallic grey. I open the door against bushes every day. Not a single scratch on the car anywhere. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The actual colour isn't going to make any difference at all. The outermost coat of 'paint' is the clear coat and that will be exactly the same regardless of the base colour coat underneath.

It is said that paint finishes of Japanese cars are softer, while paint finishes on German cars are harder. Whether that is really true, I don't know but it would mean that light surface scratching would polish out more easily ...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Philip. True but the colour might show more.  Grey is much lighter than Decuma. I observed a year ago, grey in the new silver 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Deleted

I think ours is Dacuma Grey Metallic too

Rav 4 phev 20220228_153136.jpg

• Like 2

Bought this polish and rubbed some small/light scratches and it helped a bit.

(hard to catch on picture though)

20240307_173613.jpg

• Like 1

My daughter has got new motorised (e-drive) wheels to her wheelchair and they ar a lot heavier than the former wheels so the wheelchair is now quite a bit harder to load in our RAV 4 so...

We are thinking about to trade in our RAV 4 for one demo 2022 Proace City Verso electric (to transport family and wheelchair) and one used 2017 Prius PHV (to transport me and whife) .

If so I think it would be a benefit if the car looked as good as possible (no scratches)

HURTS to trade in our RAV 4 though (rally like that car)

20240307_173812.jpg

• Like 1

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links