Do Not Sell My Personal Information

• Join Toyota Owners Club

Join Europe's Largest Toyota Community! It's FREE!

Newer OEM unit in older model car

CrazyCatman

I am getting to the point where I consider to change the CD-radio of my first generation phase 2 Yaris (2004 model), as the Panasonic have had some serious issues earlier with losing power and sometimes regaining it; baking it in the oven have been making it work almost perfectly for a while but after little over 1½ years I am beginning to get issues with it again (especially when using the heaters in the car).

I would like to change the radio to a "big screen" version and would still like to have CD-player in it. Navigation and bluetooth audio would be a plus (but I will need to install a microphone to make it work with phone calls) and DAB(+) and Android Auto/Apple Car Play aren't anything I need. One big need is however that I am able to use remote buttons on the steering wheels.

I have read somewhere that aftermarket radios (the technical term would probably be head unit) have issues with using them remote buttons, so I am considering.... is it possible to take a "newer"/"more fancy" OEM Toyota (probably Panasonic) unit and install - like something from an Avensis (e.g. B9000 - yes I know it is without bluetooth but it have got radio, CD and Nav). I know it may not physical fit to look snug (but I might work something out with a new frame, some acetone and LEGO) and that it most likely will be an absolute hell to reroute wires (Nav-DVD unit in the Yaris is under the driver's seat with the B9000 having a DVD or SD-card behind the screen, the Yaris radio/CD unit is divided among two units: the Radio/CD unit and a control unit - each with their own set of cables - this control unit will most likely be useless and constantly off after this "hack" - but all in all this mean a very different length of wires in the whole set between the Yaris and most other models). I don't want to get something crazy and expensive like a Touch 2 system just something never than I have abs with a screen. No larger than double DIN obviously.

But is it actually possible to install and operate an OEM radio from a different model and vintage Toyota? It seems that must connectors are the same, however some may have more (I haven't checked if those "extras" are in the DVD-unit under the seat).

Is there anything technical I should be aware of on such a project? 

Latest Deals

Toyota Official Store for genuine Toyota parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links